• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Putting a little powder under your nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pop a couple caps. make sure the hammer is at half cock and the old cap is off the nipple to let air escape and powder get under the nipple, tap the offside of the stock to settle some powder under the nipple. If you do all of these things and you are still getting misfires, then something isn't getting cleaned out right.

Once again, I am not saying I get misfires all the time. I think I got one once like 10 years ago in my percussion TC.

Again, what I am asking is for PEOPLE who have put some powder under thier nipple, did it affect accuracy?

Post deleted by Zonie.

Before you guys get to thinking I'm some evil moderator who goes around deleting posts, slippyfoot asked me to delete all of his posts.

I'm leaving his post about using the wire in a bread tie because I think it's a useful idea.

Zonie

Greetings Bigfoot,

No. Not in my case and after extensive bench testing at 50 and 100 yards.

Putting a bit of 4FFFF powder under the nipple is a standard procedure in preping my caplocks for hunting. It is an extra preparation to ensure that first shot goes off without a hitch.

When I go to all of the time and expense for a hunting trip, I will not leave any part of rifle preparation to chance.

Perhaps that is one of the reasons I was very successful when I use to hunt. I no longer do so.

I have been told many times I was a very lucky hunter. I prefer Darrell Royal's definition of luck.

Luck is what happens when opportuity meet preparation.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

if you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Good post Mr. Hinnant, What some of these folks are saying is like saying "Don't buy insurance just take care of yourself and stay well" My thinking is stay well AND buy insurance and clean your gun AND put some powder under your nipple. Works for me.

Greeting Deadeye,

Thanks and VERY well put yourself. I REALLY liked the insurance anology.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying you load.

Back