• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyramid Tents - Any Thoughts??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a pyramid tent from Panther Primitives, and wanted to get some feedback from some of you who may have one, or have used one. I am not concerned with the fact that they may not be period correct for many events, I am just looking for a good canvas hunting tent. I am very interested in hearing how they hold up in rain and wind compared to a wall tent, and what would be a good size for 2 hunters, gear and maybe at some point, a small stove. If you have one, would you buy another pyramid, or go with a wall tent instead? They offer the canvas in 10.38 oz and 13 oz., is the heavier weight worth the extra $$. Any thoughts, suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated, as well as some pictures if you have any! Thanks.

I'm no physicist, byt my guess is that the pyramid design would withstand the elements well. At the Southeastern this year we endured a storm with 70 mph winds. My observation was that most of the tents that went down were wall tents and marquis's (all with flat vertical sides). The wedge tents and teepees seemed to withstand the high winds better - probably due to the aerodynamics of them both. I think the bell of my large Tentsmiths "Museum" wedge tent acted as an airfoil (I'm glad I was set up in the direction I was). Just my 2 pence - YMMV. :hatsoff:

Hello All,

A buddy and I bought one together. In short WE HATE IT. Being over six foot tall has it's advantages but none of them apply inside a pyramid tent. The only place you can almost stand up is right next to the center pole. Even if set up with exterior poles I just don't like it. Wouldn't even reccomend one to somebody I didn't like. Paid a bunch for it (all the bells and whistles Panther has to offer) had it set up only three times and we'll probably loose $300.00 trying to get rid of it. I'll take my Diamond any day. I don't kid myself about standing up in it.

Charcloth

You asked about how a pyramid tent holds up to the elements. From the many I have seen over the years, they will take just about anything mother nature throws at them.
As for how they do with heavy rains - the only drawback I've heard is that the fly could stand to be larger to help keep water from coming in the door, also be sure the fly is sewn to the lodge - not one you tie on.
While on the subject of the door opening - one has to learn to pick up their feet due to the design. Again, this design helps keep the water out.
Agreed, being able to stand up in a one pole is limited - more so with the smaller ones. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 12 by 12.
You won't be able to walk around like you would with a wall tent - maybe with a 15 by 15 tall boy, you would be able to do so. Heating one this size will require an ozone to keep the heat from going straight to the top.
The time setting up a pyramid compared to a wall tent is about 1 to 6.
As for canvas and money - if your wanting it for hunting and your asking about weather, go with the 13 oz. sunforager. Get a smoke hole installed at the time of purchase - be sure you know what size stove pipe you'll be using, 5" is a good size to go with. You can pick up a nice wood stove through Cabela's that will do a good job for $150.00 complete (stove, pipe, damper and spark arester and removable ash drawer). You can always go with one of the propane type Mr. Heaters that are on the market now as they make them for enclosed areas.
No, I do not own a one pole - I have a 10 x 12 wall tent, a wedge tent and 4 diamond shelters, all of which are used differently, depending on what I'm planning on at the time.
Honestly for hunting - a wall tent will provide comfort that you won't get in the pyramid. They have been used for years by many an outfitter and have proven themself.
Hope this helps,

Wart

My wall tent did pretty good at the Southeastern until I got hit by a double bed sized foam mattress that flew in from another camp upwind. We figure the mattress must have been doing 40 knots when it hit my tent. Broke the ridge pole and tore the leading corner of the tent. Took me two days to get it fixed and back up. Outside of that disaster, I have been using the same tent at rendezvous for 15 years and never had it go down.

Many Klatch

You can't stand up in them, rain drips in the door, the door still is tall enough to trip you every time you step out, most of them sag and bag and never stand straight.

They have no resale value, when you finally get sick of them you have to give them away. I gave one away ten years ago (after using it only one season) and my wife gave one away 3 or 4 years back. The kid she gave hers to has already given it away again!

:rotf:

If being easy to put up and take down is your only concern they are great! But I have made some of my best camp neighbors while helping set up ridgepoles on wedges and walls.

Always remember that at a rondy you do not live in your tent. You sleep in your tent and change clothes in your tent. Therefore your tent should promote ease in dressing, promote good sleeping and be safe while making those all important hooter runs at 3 a.m.! Pyrimid tents do none of these things.

Another thing to consider is the pitch or slope of the tent sides where they meet the ground. This applies to pyramid tents, wedge tents, diamond shelters, and any lean-to. You can't use the space inside right next to where you stake the tent down. You always loose somewhere between a half foot and a foot of floor space along the edges, to keep from having your gear touch the tent canvas. So on a 12x12 pyramid, you have only 10x10 floor space, or less. If you use cots, you loose much more floor space. This applies to any tent with a sloping side wall.

A great compromise between the small wedge tent and the full wall tent is the Servant's Quarters or Sargent's Tent. Take a standard small wedge tent, and add 1 1/2 to 3 foot side walls to its bottom edge. 1 1/2 feet is fine if you sleep down on the ground, 3 feet is better if you want to use a cot. This gives you the use of the full inside floor space - without touching the canvas sides. And the two support poles are only a couple feet taller. This also give you much better head room for moving about and changing clothes. Yes, it's very much like a small wall tent, and you do need to stake ropes out the sides to stretch out the roof correctly. Short side poles are optional.

Just some more thoughts to share.

yhs
Mike

well, despite all of the negative feedback you just got, most of my buddies use Panther Primitive pyramid tents and have never had anything bad to say about them. If you want luxury and standing room you want a Marquis tent, and several buddies have bought them recently as an 'upgrade' in comfort for their old bones (or their wives). I sleep in a wedge tent and the pyramid looks luxurious to me! Of course it is not PC for my events, so I don't have one.

I have a buddy who has a pyr tent.he sets it up with 4 poles wood ball in the center with holes
to peg the poles in to. We had that and my wedge
tent set up at turkey camp. We had a big wind the
second eve we were there. It seemed to stand pretty good. I prefer my wedge over the pyr it is
easy to set up I use it on all my primitive hunts
and it works well at a rendezvous. I cheat a little at elk camp with my mr heater but it works
well. If I was you I would think strong about a bell back wedge and scrap the pyr Idea.

In the 60's my buddy and I used a Boy Scout Pryamid tent and I have nothing but praise for the type.It took everything that Mother Nature could throw[snow storm]. It really was only big enough for two men size people and a load of gear.Heating was the only problem,but with the stuff they have now... :nono: IF this will be your first tent,stop don't rush into anything.Don't believe what anyone tells you.[Even Me]This is the type of tent you better find out about by yourself.See if you can find someone who uses it and have a look at it. :) Still,my opinion is that it's a good tent. Andbob

I have a 12 x 12 pyramid and love it. It is easy to set up and has stood up very well in all kinds of weather and wind. I have well over 300 camp days in it. A 12 x 12 is the min size if you want a heating stove. Mine is just right for 2 people with cots and gear and a stove. I like that I can easily set it up by my self, when out hunting and etc. It fits MY need perfectly. As others have said, go see some and ck them out. All tents have tradeoffs, between room, ease of setting up, PC correctness and so forth, so each person needs to determine what is most important to them.
Othern

I've had a pyramid for 10 years plus. I also have a wedge tent when a more period correct set-up is needed and a small tipi too. But as for the pyramid tent I have never had any problems, no leaks or drips like others have mentioned and it holds up excellent in severe weather. One person sleeping on the ground has plenty of room. With two or more using cots allows storage underneath. I have a small wood stove that I use on some winter camps if the Mrs. comes. Front door has the fly sewed on. Have a large tie on fly for the back door and even sometimes have used my big dinning fly with it. Its my main "going easy" tent when I don't want to mess with alot. The only thing that is easier to use in my stash is my diamond shelter or a certain piece of canvas I've been known to curl up under. But the Mrs. doesn't care for these. I've had good luck with my pyramid and don't feel its a problem for what we use it for and it probably gets used more than the others at present.

I got mine from [url] http://www.strinztipi.com/[/url]
I used it for bout 10 years, I went through one winter in it here in KY, -9 below, I have the stove, Went through some strong winds out west in the dessert and in the up highs, And some heavy rains, I liked it, Mine finally wore out, I will get me nother one, I liked it better then my tipi, It held up good for me,, and I USED the heck outta it,, But,, to each his own,, Good luck on what ever you do,,
[url] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/tentpic.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/jws-camp.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/tent.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like to me that people either love them or hate them.
Mine is a large one, I think 15 feet and heavy canvas. It folds up small and sets up easy and quick They will stand more weather than anything or as much as anything I know of. I love them. as said befor with the sloping sides they are not as large as the same size wall tent. Infact a lot smaller. When it was my self and 2 sons it worked great hunting elk in Oregon at 5 to 6000 foot. Our December hunts saw some real foul weather. The party has grown from 2 sons to 4 grand sons and a son enlaw so we have went to wall tents and tin tepes for hunting

Claude said:
LarryB said:

I think that's because it's so subjective and there is no correct answer. People can read "both sides" of the issue and make a decision based on their particular needs.

That's one of the major values of this forum. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike: Sounds like a Cabella's Outback tent. I have one and like it fine.. I doubt there's anything PC about it, though. graybeard

I have 2, a 10 ft. with floor that I use for hunting and a 12 ft. with sewn on door and sewn on fly above that for rondevoos. They've been thru
snow, sleet, hail,rain, wind, I use the 2 poles outside setup. They're great but if you have more than 2 adults, you better have a 15 footer. I love mine.

Dale Brown said:
Claude said:
LarryB said:

I think that's because it's so subjective and there is no correct answer. People can read "both sides" of the issue and make a decision based on their particular needs.

That's one of the major values of this forum. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, absolutely!

Everyone has the right to be wrong if they insist on it!

:rotf: :rotf:

Back