• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quacks and flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Duck blinds built.
skiffs and decoys set.
10 ga. and 12 ga. folwing guns ready!
Any one else looking forward to the waterfowl season?

Early Goose opens Sept 1 st here(Wisconsin)
With staggering duck openers...
Dry condition's with birds concentrated near water.
Any other duck nuts out there?
Enjoy the season....dan

I have my eye on some "concentrated" mallards and wood ducks. But I fear the water conditions may also concentrate hunters including a few trespassers. I will hope for the best.

Definately awaiting the opener. Not using BP though :shake: Think the game warden would get upset if I took a few with my rifle :rotf:

I`ve been a waterfowler for years. Nothing like being in a marsh or on the water when the birds are flying. Due to my present job I don`t get to spend near as much time hunting anything as often as I used to though :( :cursing:. Getting out once or twice during a season is as good as it usually gets for me anymore.
Our early goose season also starts Sept 1st with duck openers starting Sept 22, Sept 29, or Oct 6th depending on what part of the state your in. Oct 6th around here.
I`ve always enjoyed duck hunting more than goose my self. I`m right on the eastern shore of Saginaw Bay and we get alot of birds passing thru here. I really enjoy hunting the open water diver ducks like redheads and bluebills. Puddlers are great too though and better eating.
Never tried waterfowling with black powder yet. I recently got a percussion double but don`t know if it`ll get used much for waterfowling because of the problems involved with loading while in a duckboat or knee deep in a marsh. Maybe I`ll try some jumpshooting with it sometime but the nontoxic shot laws are another issue though :(

Probably works just fine. But the price :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:. Way too rich for my wallet.

Rifleman1776 said:
What charges and type of shot do you use?

RM Here you go....
Topic#238612)
click on to read full topic.

Rifleman1776 said:
What charges and type of shot do you use?

RM Here you go....
Topic#238612)Post#765196
click on to read full topic.

I got a lot of respect for you guys that hunt waterfowl with a muzzleloader. I got bit by the waterfowl addiction last year and started building my spread (started as a dozen shell geese and a dozen floating ducks) and I had trouble killing much last season. Mostly because my calling and decoy strategies may not have been the best, nor was I in the best place to hunt either. Most of my kills were shot between 30 and 40 yards so definitely out of range for a muzzleloader and I don't think I got anything on the first shot either :wink:. What kind of ducks are you guys getting? Are you hunting out of layout blinds, wooden permanent blinds, or just hiding in the brush?

I'll be trying my hand at waterfowl for the first time this year. I always have a bunch of geese hanging around and one of my pig spots holds woodies year round. Going to try to do something about that.

Yea man that's how I started. I just jump shot or pass shot woodies when they flew over. Then I bought a dozen decoys and a call then tried that which is much more satisfying.

Back