• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Queen Anne Brass Barreled Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeyer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have this? Is it a real difficult to maintain? How about barrel wear? Thanks.

I have the Pedersoli, it's ok, mine fires fine but I've had friends with them who couldn't get them to go off. One had a poorly drilled vent (bad placement), frizzen wasn't hard enough on the other. But I like mine... It cleans up pretty well (as long as you clean it!) and you can keep the brass real shiney if you like!

The term "Queen Anne" unfortunately is not very specific. In my opinion it should refer to the type that has the lockplate and triggerplate all in one piece with the breech. An innovative concept, and deserving of a distinctive name. Any arm built anywhere near the reign of Queen Anne is often referred to as a "Queen Anne", and folks like Pedersoli like to call a turn barrel pistol with a normal, separate, lockplate a "Queen Anne".

What I'm getting at here is that there are different maintenance issues involved with the two types - lockplate integral with breech and separate lockplate. For example, when the touch hole erodes out too big, on the "true" Queen Anne you can't get the flashpan out of the way so you can easily install a new touch hole liner.

I've heard that some Pedersoli "Queen Anne" pistols were made with such loose threads on the turn-off barrel that the barrel tried to unscrew at each shot!

The term "Queen Anne" unfortunately is not very specific. In my opinion it should refer to the type that has the lockplate and triggerplate all in one piece with the breech. An innovative concept, and deserving of a distinctive name. Any arm built anywhere near the reign of Queen Anne is often referred to as a "Queen Anne", and folks like Pedersoli like to call a turn barrel pistol with a normal, separate, lockplate a "Queen Anne".

What I'm getting at here is that there are different maintenance issues involved with the two types - lockplate integral with breech and separate lockplate. For example, when the touch hole erodes out too big, on the "true" Queen Anne you can't get the flashpan out of the way so you can easily install a new touch hole liner.

I've heard that some Pedersoli "Queen Anne" pistols were made with such loose threads on the turn-off barrel that the barrel tried to unscrew at each shot!
My Pedersoli Queen Anne pistol does not have a screw off barrel . Mine has a round barrel with a breach plug and tang . To the best of my knowlege Pedersoli Queen Annes do not have turn off barrels (check thier website).

I have one.
There is currently some discussin about this Pedersoli pistol on the Builders Bench Forum. Follow the link at the end of this post if your curious:

By the way, this gun comes in a kit form which is very easy to build.

The negatives with it IMO, is the only screw holding the barrel in place is the tang screw.

The touch hole is over 250 long before it gets to the main charge (read my comments about this in the link).
The sightless tapered smoothbore is really fun to shoot, but hitting anything with it is a matter of luck.

I had one of the pins in the Tumbler Link to the mainspring come half way out. I pushed it back in place and applied a little dab of epoxy to "fix" it. Had this link actually disengaged with the tumbler, the mainspring might have knocked a hole in the bottom of the stock. If you own one of these, I suggest you check these little pins in the link every so often.

On the other hand, it is a very neat looking gun IMO and I'm glad I own one. :) Pedersoli Queen Anne Discussion

To address the original question, regarding barrel wear, I think it would depend on what alloy of brass they used. If is brass at all. A bronze barrel should handle a whole lot of shooting, and of course either brass or bronze would be less fussy about cleaning, unless there's a steel breechplug.

The turn barrel pistols were the hardest hitting of the black powder arms of the day. They were the "armor piercing" guns. By the time the ball is squished down to bore size, the black powder has done more burning than in a muzzle loader, so you get more power.

One issue with a turn barrel is that the powder chamber tends to be too long to be near bore size; it is more like half the bore diameter so the load doesn't get too big. This means the wall thickness at the breech is excessive and the touch hole is long. It's also really hard to make a tool to go inside that small hole and cone out the touch hole from the inside. On the Queen Anne with the lock in one piece with the breech, you can't just drill a big hole in to the chamber and put in a coned touch hole liner.

I have a casting I haven't drilled yet for the chamber, and I'm thinking of drilling it at a slight angle, so the wall thickness is less near the pan. Has anyone heard of doing this?

Bill B.

Thanks for the heads up on the tumbler link , Zonie . :master: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Back