• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question about .32 cal patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i just bought a box of hornady buckshot size .320 my question is what patching should i use? i have prelubed precut .018" is that too thick?

thanks

Rifleman1776 said:
Try it, then tell us.
Exactly. You don't specify what barrel you are shooting, not all .32 calibers are the same in terms of bore and groove diameters and not all .018" patch cloth is the same in terms of compressibility and the patch lube can make a great difference in terms of force required to seat the ball. Your loading technique also matters, whether or not you swab between shots, if you use a short starter or not, if your ramrod is wood or metal or plastic, etc. I'd say probably you'll do OK with the .018" patching but you'll know for sure after you've given it a try.

In my Pedersoli .32 I shoot .010 patching with sigle 0 buckshot. Probably could use thicker patching but it works pretty well.........................watch yer top knot................

It will probably be tight but should work. I shoot a .315 cast ball over .018" ticking in a GM barrel. Tight but I can load without a short starter.

Back