• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about .32 cal....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contenderfan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For years now I have wanted to attempt a kit build from Pecatonica River. A Southern Mountain or Tennessee Classic in .32 caliber is what I have been lusting after for quite some time.
My main question for those of you who have exprience with .32 cal rifles, especially in a long barrel type rifle...is fouling a major issue?
I once had an old timer tell me that the 32. cal in a long barrel is the biggest headache when it comes to fouling due to the size of the bore. Any truth to this fellas? Would .36 cal be a better choice for a squirrel rifle type build?

contenderfan said:
...is fouling a major issue

I walked up to my first smallbores with the same concern, but have never experienced it. It's no more an issue than with any other gun I own, so I don't know where the story got started.

Maybe powder is cleaner today. Maybe I've made better choice in my lubes (grease based). Maybe it's a good thing I live in a damp climate, which would soften fouling.

Whatever the explanation, 36 was no prob, so I picked up a 32. That's no prob, so now I'm thinking about a 25.

FWIW, I'm shooting a percussion .32 with a 42" GM barrel. Pretty much settled on a .318 ball, .010" spit patch and 20gr FFFg Goex. Can do my normal range sessions/trail walks without wiping and not losing accurracy. Heck, I even won the last rondy squirrel trail I shot.

You do need to miniaturize your cleaning gear (at least from my .54/.58 stuff), but once you have the right stuff, cleaning is about the same.

Only other thing I did differently, was to make a small, stiff ball bag out of rawhide so I can just pour one of those dinky little things into my hand. Trying to dig one out of a soft bag was a pain.

I have two pecatonica southern mountain rifles. A 45cal and 32cal, I would advise you to use a 3/4" barrel with the 32cal.much lighter and hangs just right for offhand shots.
Ed rayl makes a dandy 42" 3/4" 32cal. 1 in 70 twist barrel.The 3/4 barrel sure makes a sleek looking long rifle.
I never have a problem with fowling.Using moose milk for lube.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease on this fellas, I would have went to a .36 if need be...but really want to go with the .32 cal.
Crowkiller...thanks for the heads up on the 3/4" barrel, I was leaning in that direction also and you just confirmed it for me. Now if I can just decide on flint or percussion...leaning heavily towards flint, but not sure if I should go that route with a first build attempt or not.
Will be a while before I can get the scratch together for the kit anyway...so I will have time to decide for sure on ignition.

I put together a .32 kit a couple of years ago and I had the same concern, I started always wiping between shots with a spit patch then a dry patch. Maybe in my mind but it seems to be more consistent..................watch yer top knot...........

I have both a .32 and a .36. Neither one cruds up any more than my larger caliber rifle. A snug patch and ball combo and a wet lube should let you shoot all day without cleaning.

Crow Killer is right about the 3/4" barrel. I built the .32 about three years ago. I wanted something light weight to terrorize bunnies with. I used a 3/4" x 36" GM barrel. There is plenty of metal in the barrel with the 3/4" in .32 to not worry about too thin a barrel. :thumbsup:

I myself shoot a crocket rifle in .32 love that little gun. I found fouling to be easy to clean in it. realy not bad at all.

My .36 SMR has a 3/4" barrel and I wouldn't have anything else. The .32 and .36 do not foul any more that larger bores. I don't know how this myth got started.

I shoot an original .32 and never have fouling issues. I have used both Goex and Swiss powders...currently I am Swiss only, but with the small charges that it takes a pound can of pouder will get you a whole lot of target/hunting time!!!! Do a .32 and you won't be sorry! :thumbsup:

Back