• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about an "in the white rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstillwagon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, After skulking around on the site for months this is my first post. I am looking for an in the white rifle, flintlock, unsure of caliber. I have no experience building or woodworking so I thought this may be a good start as a way to become familiar with the workings of a flintlock. I have shot caplocks on and off for years.I am always amazed at the knowledge of forum members. Reccomendations of companies would be most appreciated.

There are many fine purveyers of guns in the white in our links section. Sitting Fox sells a nice gun. I purchased a Tulle Fusil deChasse from them and it is going together very well. I also have a Pedersoli Pa longrifle. It took some tuning work on the lock but it works just fine now. Traditions has a very affordable kit gun as well. Many ways to go. :yakyak:

Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN keeps a lot of in-the-white rifles on the shelf.

I, like you, had no experience building or woodworking. I bought a Pedersoli Dixie Cub kit in .50 caliber. I took my time and built it, with the help of the book Hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fedela and Dale Storey.

It is a great gun to shoot and I am glad I did it. I would like to build the Scout, but I don't know if I ever will get around to it for reasons not having to do with the kit, itself.

Whatever you choose, take your time and have fun!

The Tip Curtis products I saw at Dixons impressed me. You get a fully assembled and neatly inlet firelock with a swamped or oct/rd barrel. Barrel would require draw filing and furniture would need polishing. I can't say how well the locks might be tuned. $900-$1200.

ML68, Be sure to look at the gun offered by Matt & Toni Avance at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. All of their guns are offered in-the-white. Their website is at www.avsia.com/tvm/. Le Grand

It all depends on your budget. You can start with the Lyman GPR kit from Midsouth Shooters:[url] http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/[/url] . You can go to Dixie and look at the several Pedersoli kits. You can step up to Sitting Fox, Early Rustic Arms, TVM and others. My first kit was a .54 GPR flint. I tinkered alot, but no way a pro gun builder. This kit went together easy, finished the way that I like and is a great shooter. A lot of folks here have built this kit and can give helpful advice. For me, it was a good starting point. Any way you go, just go slow and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
PvtC said:
The Tip Curtis products I saw at Dixons impressed me. You get a fully assembled and neatly inlet firelock with a swamped or oct/rd barrel. Barrel would require draw filing and furniture would need polishing. I can't say how well the locks might be tuned. $900-$1200.

I would agree with the quality of the Tip Curtis in-the white rifles. I bought a very nice small Lancaster this year at Dixon's. The M&G lock fells very good to me, Tip told me he tunes them during the building process.

The metal to wood fit is very good, although I might do a tad more work on the buttplate. I will probably sand the barrel with 220 grit before browning, same for the rest of the iron furniture.

The stock has very good figure throughout but needs to be thinner along the foreend and near the wrist. I could finish the rifle as is and have a very nice piece but it really deserves the finishing touches of a fine PA longrifle.

$995.00.

Old Salt

Back