• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about Bee's Wax?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bore butter separates on a warm day and runny stuff oozes out.....nasty stuff... :td:

For patches you can use stiff or soft....but for conical I like it stiffer...less messy...Too soft and you end up like a 1 year old eating a pudding cup.....you end up wearing most of it... :grin:

colorado clyde said:
Danny Ross said:
So lets say you use Crisco as a lube. How much wax would you use in lets say 2 cups, to raise its melting temp, but keep in soft enough to use as a winter lube.
I use beeswax and olive oil.
I have both winter and summer mixes....How stiff each person likes their lube is subjective.....I just mix up a small batch and let it freeze (harden)...If it is too hard or soft I just re-melt and adjust by adding more wax if too soft and more oil if too hard....

It's like rocket science without the rocket.... :wink:
:haha: me too.

B.

Soooo IT IS an exact science. Just mix till it is exactly how I like it :stir: . Sir you are a alchemist. DANNY

Black Hand said:
Why is it so important to stiffen the lube - Why not just use it as it comes?

I find it really hard to "regulate" the amount of lube I put on patches when it gets soft. I end up getting waaaay too much, which deteriorates accuracy.

There's also the issue of controlling a melted lube. Stuff runs all over the place. Had a tin of the stuff pop open in my bag once. Once. And I went looking to stiffen it. I'm just not into liquid lubes for field use since I lube my patches one at a time (actually a strip cut at the muzzle).

Back