• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian the Brit

36 Cal.
Reaction score
1. Were the percussion caps used in the American Civil War any different from the ones that we use today? I ask because I'm constantly having to strip my Uberti Colt 1860 to remove cap fragments (CCI and Remington) that fall into and jam the action. Somehow I can't believe that the US Army would have put up with such a problem when such an event coud be a matter of life and death to its soldiers.

2. My Pietta Remington 1858 is nothing like as prone to this problem as the Colt and continues to shoot perfectly cylinder after cylinder. When I come to strip it for cleaning, however, I find it impossible to remove the cylinder arbor with my fingers and end up having to drift it out with a hammer and dowel when I get home. I grease the arbor generously before each trip to the range but still it happens. Is this normal with these revolvers or am I missing something?

Any comments?

i've heard tell that the caps back then were far tougher and heavier built than they are now.

even up to a few decades ago, it seems.

i think the lightening of the material is a cost thing. they're trying to keep the costs the same so their profit rises, but we're the ones that suffer.

An old but effective tip is to hold that colt straight up in the air when cocking for the next shot. Cap debris falls free instead of into the action.

Italian caps back in the 60,s & 70's were formed from brass rather than copperand were quite a bit tougher than todays caps. They may have even been a little too tough. If the shot didn't split them it took a screwdriver or a knife blade to get them off of a nipple.

Caps in the action were the reason for the Manhattan modification. Basically, change the hammer nose so its like the Remington with that narrow section and braze a couple of shields onto the recoil sheild making a narrow slot that the cap fragments can't get pulled thru.

Your '58 problem is common at least IME. I've found that careful lubeing of the pin helps some.
as near I can tell it's due to flash from the caps getting into the bored hole in recoil shield.
'Mykeal' has some info about this stuck pin problem he posted awhile back.

Latest posts

Back