• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about enfield barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk434

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an 1853 enfield 3 band rifle and I want to buy a new barrel for it because the one I currently have has pitting in it. I have looked on the internet but cannot find anyone who has one. If anyone knows, your help is greatly appreciated. I know I found a website in the past that sells this stuff, but cannot seem to remember it.

It's a Euroarms and it shoots okay. Also, I bought it used and I am not sure what the person who had it last did with it. I'd feel more comfterable with a new one. It's really weird because if I drop a bore light down the barrel, the bore looks quite shiny; however, if i just look at the end of the barrel from the side, all I see is rust and pitting. I'm also not sure if there might be any buldges from an improper load. I did my best to spot any, but could not. Are bulges easy to see, or do some require an experienced gunsmith to spot? Also, do buldges pose any type of safety hazard?

It was probably used for Civil War reenacting. I've known reenactors that would shoot their muskets for years without cleaning them at all. Even new they aren't overly accurate. I'd just clean it good and shoot it. You'll have too much money in it if you replace the barrel.

If you have run a fairly tight fitting patch/jag down the barrel and it took about the same amoung of pressure to shove it all the way down, the barrel is not bulged. If it were bulged, you would feel a area where the force required to push the ramrod down gets noticably easier, after which it returns to the same force.
This method will detect a bulge that is impossible to see with the naked eye.

As for the looks of the barrel at the muzzle, if the former owner didn't clean the gun fully, a little rust can form in the bore and the grooves.
If the area shows discoloratioin and light pitting, a modern gun is (IMO) safe to shoot. If the bore/rifling has moderatly deep pits the accuracy may not be quite as good as it could be but (IMO) safety shouldn't be a real issue.

If whole chunks of rifleing is missing, safety is an issue and the gun should be examined by a good gunsmith before firing it.

Latest posts

Back