• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about filler in C&B revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk434

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed that if I use 20 grains of powder in my 1858 Remmington .44 revolver, there might be a space between the powder and the ball. This is a brass framed revolver and I read that I should not fire high powered loads out of it. So my question is, what would be the best filler to put in-between the powder and ball so that i do not have an air gap. I think I read that corn meal works fine but I cant exactly remember, thanks.

Whatever you like the smell of when it's toasted. :kid:

Corn meal, Cream of Wheat, Oat meal, Farinah, Wheat Germ, Oat Bran...or you can spend a lot of money and buy some WonderWads (while they are still available).
WonderWads work great but they add about 6 cents to the price of each shot fired and the company that makes them also just went out of business.

You are wise (IMO) in wanting to seat the ball/bullet so there is no gap or air space between it and the powder/filler. :) :) :front:

I heard of at least one company that is trying to contract to have equivalent replacement wads manufactured.

Corn meal will compress (more) easily than some of the other fillers. That makes it nicer if you happen to get a little more or less from your measuring device. It's still whatever works and is cheap. I like to stay as consistent as I can, but you gotta do what you have to also...

The Remington because of it's top strap "can" tolerate heavier loads better--even in the brass framed version. But I'm not recommending that you use a heavier charge at all. I do load a little heavier than 20gr FFFg (regularly) and it hasn't loosened up even the tiniest little bir (yet). You might want to use FFg powder instead of FFFg. Think about it.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I have taken bits and pieces of information from this site to make my own load that works for me. I make my own felt wads from wool felt hats. I use cornmeal as a filler and I use homemade bore butter to make it easier to clean. I shoot a Remmington 1858 44 cal. and a 1860 colt 44 cal. I Use 22 grains of 3f goex, felt wad, 15 grains of cornmeal, ball and top of with borebutter. Someone said to put the borebutter on with a childrens medicine syringe, works great, less mess. Also I use one of those squeezable plastic mustard/ketchup bottles for the cornmeal, just clip the end a little to give a bigger opening, that works great to.
Most of the people that shoot at the gun range just use powder, filler, ball and crisco. I like the felt wad combo because I seem to have a little better consistancy with it. I figure try different combos to see what works with you and then stick with that. I also like this combo because it has very little kick and when shooting targets that is a good thing. :m2c:

I've tried cornmeal, but found it did not flow well, especially as I use a separate flask for filler. Changed to Cream of Wheat as it will flow a lot easier, & doesn't clump as bad as corn meal.

I use cream o'wheat...didn't like cornmeal, and couldn't stand the thought of wasting grits....use a wad, too. Hank

Here in the U.K, many of us use Semolina. It has the consistency of fine sand and flows easily from a powder flask. If you find a spout of the correct capacity, it makes the job of adding the filler much quicker and easier.

Apart from generally better accuracy, using lighter powder charges has the benefit of fouling the revolver less and reducing the occurrence of fragmented caps jamming up the works. All of which contribute to a more enjoyable shoot. That

Thanks for all of the replies. I had a chance to go out to the range yesterday and used cornmeal as a filler and really liked it. The only thing that I did not like about it was that it was really reluctant to pour out of the flask. I will just use He-bear's advice about putting in the cornmeal in a squeezable mustard bottle.

I use the wonderwads exclusively!! :) I love them, but have a small supply as I shot them up. Need more!!!
Where can I get them. Doesent Buff-Bore include some simmilar wads in their 180 gr ballett bullet boxes!? I think they used to but have not purchased them lately.
I supppose that I will just have to start making them myself. I have seen some posts on how to in the past.
:thanks:

Thanks for all of the replies. I had a chance to go out to the range yesterday and used cornmeal as a filler and really liked it. The only thing that I did not like about it was that it was really reluctant to pour out of the flask. I will just use He-bear's advice about putting in the cornmeal in a squeezable mustard bottle.

The ability of the filler to flow easily out of a small spout is greatly affected by humidity. I keep my supply of corn meal closed very tightly when I'm not using it. If the opening is small enough in the spout, putting some rice in with the corn meal might help keep it flowing freely (Some people put rice in their salt shakers and it does keep the salt from clumping up too.) I suppose you could put a couple dessicant packs in with it...

Is that semolina stuff anything like couscous? I've also heard about some people using sawdust. I'm always looking to find new & better (AND CHEAPER!) ways of doing things. I don't know what the least expensive filler is, but I hate to waste the corn meal--as there are some pretty tasty things that can be made from it.

BTW, I like grits too, but my wife can't stand them... both my boys like them a lot also--so maybe it's a "guy" thing...? Course, now we're getting off topic, so 'nuff said about using my filler as food.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Latest posts

Back