• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about hunting coyotes in the Bighorn Mtns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I live in Indiana and my wife and I would like to take a trip out west this summer. It's hard for me to go anywhere that I can't carry my muzzeloader and trek around in the wilderness somewhere. So as far as I can tell, looking at Wyoming's regulations, I don't need a hunting license for coyotes. All I see that I need is a hunter education card. Does anybody have any experience in this?

So I live in Indiana and my wife and I would like to take a trip out west this summer. It's hard for me to go anywhere that I can't carry my muzzeloader and trek around in the wilderness somewhere. So as far as I can tell, looking at Wyoming's regulations, I don't need a hunting license for coyotes. All I see that I need is a hunter education card. Does anybody have any experience in this?
I live in Indiana also. My son lives in Nevada. When I visit we take a day or two to hunt coyote. Nevada does not have a season on them and does not require a license to hunt. Due to my age I am exempt from the hunters education requirement. We have hunted both private and public land.
Be sure to check the regulations in the state you intend to visit as they tend to vary from state to state.
Kno-ie

You are good to go to hunt them year round in WY without a license.

There is one thing for you to check out and that is the WY requirement that non res have a licensed guide or outfitter in order to hunt in a designated wilderness area. I don;t know if it would apply in your case.

You are good to go to hunt them year round in WY without a license.

There is one thing for you to check out and that is the WY requirement that non res have a licensed guide or outfitter in order to hunt in a designated wilderness area. I don;t know if it would apply in your case.
Ya I saw that about a guide, but I found that only applies to big game.

Take road up to Paint Rock Lakes.

Take any side road.

Get your gear and head uphill, or down. Big rock piles will have marmots.....(rock chuck's)

There's a nice shooting range at Powell, and cody.

The blm between Greybull, and cody has unlimited shooting space.

"The blm between Greybull, and cody has unlimited shooting space."

Between Greybull and Cody is the Bighorn Basin, about 80 miles across. I've coyote called there in the latter 90's after the elk was butchered the day before. This is a mixture of private and public land, with row crops you're accustom to seeing as a Hoosier, as well as big spreads of sugar beets. Yet, the public land can host landscapes that won't remind you of home. Sit up on a high spot and watch various rain showers/thunder storms across the basin while the other portions are sunny and dry. Probably won't see that in Indiana.

Wyoming is a special place. Some of the most barren places on earth, and then the most majestic to be found, as well. If I had my pick of living spots it would be the eastern slope of the Bighorn Mts. I really need to get out there again soon. Been far too long.

I hunt the eastern side of the big horns near the town of Buffalo for mule deer and antelope, never put much effort into the yotes, have seen a few that's about it. A good hunt is to set up on a prairie dog town and have a blast. There're big goings on in Wyoming legislature now about out of state hunters, might want to follow that a bit, I would bet you at least need a conservation stamp, as it does not look good for the big game species non-resident hunter. Can't say about the coyote hunters. Hope to draw tags for this October for one last Antelope and mule deer hunt. Time to start looking for areas to hunt in the Dakotas.

"The blm between Greybull, and cody has unlimited shooting space."

Between Greybull and Cody is the Bighorn Basin, about 80 miles across. I've coyote called there in the latter 90's after the elk was butchered the day before. This is a mixture of private and public land, with row crops you're accustom to seeing as a Hoosier, as well as big spreads of sugar beets. Yet, the public land can host landscapes that won't remind you of home. Sit up on a high spot and watch various rain showers/thunder storms across the basin while the other portions are sunny and dry. Probably won't see that in Indiana.

Wyoming is a special place. Some of the most barren places on earth, and then the most majestic to be found, as well. If I had my pick of living spots it would be the eastern slope of the Bighorn Mts. I really need to get out there again soon. Been far too long.

Same here.

Best bet would be to call Game and Fish and get the skinny on all the varmits you "might" be tempted to shoot. IF they see you strolling around with your rifle you will likely meet one of the rangers. Good thing about Wyoming is that we are pro-hunting.

Best bet would be to call Game and Fish and get the skinny on all the varmits you "might" be tempted to shoot. IF they see you strolling around with your rifle you will likely meet one of the rangers. Good thing about Wyoming is that we are pro-hunting.
Ok so I called Wyoming Fish & Game and talked to a nice lady who didn’t have a clue. I told her what I wanted to do and she said I needed to call the sheriffs department to get answers to my questions. So I called the sheriffs department and they said why did they have you call here? I said that’s what I wondered. They said it’s an open carry state and as long as I’m not a felon, I can carry a gun. Well I figured that, but that doesn’t tell me if I need any permits to hunt vermin in the Big Horn Mtns.
So I guess I’ll try calling Fish & Game again and see if I get someone else.

Unfortunately, that seems to have become the norm for Wyoming Fish & Game. Their rules are so complex and convoluted that even many of them have no clue. I tried to navigate the rules there a couple of years ago as an out-of-state hunter for an antelope hunt and almost needed a lawyer, a legal translator, and a lands surveyor to figure out what I needed. Then I needed an accountant to figure out the points system.

It quickly fell into the "nevermind" category for me.

Good luck!

Back