• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about the wrist on a GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amplatz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have ordered a GPR kit from MidSouth (hadn't gotten it yet) and from some of the threads I've read, my impression is that you need to take a lot of material off the stock to smooth up the lines, but I hadn't run across anybody talking about how much they took off the wrist area.

Anybody with any feedback? My plan is to put the GPR together and then get started on an Issac Haines kit from Chambers that I've already got. Hopefully, I'll make all the mistakes on the GPR and learn from them!

Thanks!

I've narrowed the wrist quite a bit on the one I'm working on. I left most of the height, but narrowed the sides. This has given it a bit of a waist and it looks more graceful and feels much better in the hand. I'm building it for a fellow about my size, so I'm hoping it'll fit him as it does me.

I think it's best to go by feel. Put the stock to your shoulder, grip it normally and notice how it feels in your hand. It felt very wide and bulky in mine. Remove a little wood and try it out again. With enough tinkering, you'll come up with a solution that custom fits you and looks a whole lot better than how the factory machined it.

What Plink said. I took enough off of the wrist to blend in with the work I did on the cheek piece.
Scott

The grip will need a little thinning and countouring to blend the lines of the stock.

I think you will find the grip most comfortable when it is thin enough, including the grip portion of the trigger guard So that your thumb and middle finger overlap a bit when gripping the stock normally. Thinner is more comfortable and controlable than bulky club like grips.

You definatly have some wood to remove, the GPR kit that I completed required thinning and the walnut stock was quite hard

Lots of judgement calls in the wrist. Most important is that it fits your hand. There are lots of ways to get there, depending on how you want the lines to flow. The rear of my triggerguard was set too deep compared to the rest of the inletting. I ended up taking the stock down in a gentle curve that blended it well. Also, when I whacked down the cheekpiece I blended the new line forward. At the top, the rear of the tang was inletted too deep while the comb extended too far forward for my wide hand. Ended up shortening the comb, then subtly tapering and changing the contour of the wrist from there up and deeper at the tang. Finally I adjusted side-to-sode thickness for a comfortable thickness.

Overall it's a little trimmer than on my factory GPR, and the lines are changed a bit. More pleasing to the eye, and probably the best fit of any gun to my hand. Now a T/C Hawken feels really thick and clubby through the wrist.

I like a thick wrist but trim til it feels right for you. That is the nice thing about kit guns you build them for your self and to fit yourself. F.K.

Thanks for all the answers--of course you realize that I'll probably have a lot more to come!

Plink, where are you in Texas? I live in Richardson.

There's one more thing to consideer when shaping the grip. You'll spend a lot of of time grasping the rifle at the grip carrying it at port-arms. A grip comfortable for prolonged carry should be worked towards.

El Paso here. Not a lot of muzzleloaders in the area, but I try to make converts as I can. :)

Well, if you ever get DFW way, shoot me an email and I'll buy you supper!
I started to say I know some good Mexican food places, but I guess I'll defer, seeing as to your location! :haha:

I have plans to do gun shows in the DFW area, actually. I would have been there this coming weekend but they sold out the upstairs tables before I could get ahold of the promoter.

I always enjoy meeting fellow muzzleloaders. I'll probably be headed that way for the next show. Maybe we could get together then.

Hehe, yeah we have plenty of mexican food here, but a serious shortage of good bbq. Lack of bbq in Texas just ain't right! :)

Well, I can turn you on to some real good BBQ places!

Let me know the dates and maybe we can meet.

Back