• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebuilding a 1728 French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

Well, I thought I’d be done by now… but my own rookie mistakes have gotten in the way.

First lesson… make the barrel bands to the desired shape first, THEN shape the stock to fit. I totally did this backwards, bringing the stock down to size and then thinking that (since I needed to reduce their size anyway) that I would just make the bands to fit. Turns out, I don’t have the skill for that yet! So I’ll need to go back a few steps and redo a bunch of work.

The front barrel band actually came out great - fits like a glove. I took off a whole lot of metal and thinned it out a bit. Very pleased in that one.
View attachment 355506

Middle band took a bit of fitting and frustration, but it’s nice and tight now. You can see I’ve had to sand the stock a bit to get this one to slide down. I’ll be thinking this one out soon too.
View attachment 355507

And the rear barrel band… was a bit of a miscalculation. I took off too much material. I’ll either make a new one from scratch, or try to patch it somehow.
View attachment 355508

Moving further down the musket, will be the wrist. I was super happy with it a couple weekends ago, but now that it’s been sitting for a week or so, I’ve noticed that it’s feeling a bit thick. I know the earlier French muskets were a bit thicker than the later ones, but it just feels a bit excessive. I measured the width of the wrist at 1.7in. My original M66 comes to about 1.55in.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the thickness on a M1728 should be?
View attachment 355509View attachment 355510

I can help with middle band pm me

Back