• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about Traditions Kentucky .50 caliber percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drboompa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Am wondering about any known issues with the Kentucky .50 percussion or flint rifle. It seeems to be a good "starter" rifle for newbes like me. Any one with first hand experience with this one?

I hope this question is not breaking the rules of the forum. If so, forgive me.

Hi,Iam new also.The first kit I bought was a kentucky.It turned out ok and I bought a l&r lock for it and it shoots good.IK realize that putting to much money in it was not to smart.But I used this gun to learn how to build them.I have 2 rifles and 2 pistols put together.So one day I will go for the Quality rifle.I would buy this rifle for your first,because it shoots good.squib
new005.jpg

Squib, That's a fine looking rifle you built there. That stock is really sharp imho. :hatsoff:

They are a good starter for the $$. They are,, Spanish made imports and have been coming over under various names since the early 70's, but the basic rifle has changed little. The early guns where frowned upon because of the split/2 peice stock but have proven to be good shooters in the right hands.

There are several things that can be done to make the "out of box" gun shoot better.
1st; They are put together quickly to save money, so a little time doing some easy "finish" fitting gones along way, this is just basically cleaning up wood chips and burrs around most of the inletting.
2nd; The lock mechinism while having a strong spring, is composed of stamped parts that usually have sharp edges that grind a bit on each other, and a full disassemble and polishing of all lock componants does wonders to bring the lock to it's full speed.
3rd; The barrel type breech is problematic unless kept really clean,,this is the case with all Percussion breech plug type fire channels, but the right angles in this one needs to be clean-clean all the time.

Thanks smokeater,I learned alot putting this one together.Come on in Doc,you will like the kentucky.squib

Latest posts

Back