• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question for Regulis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praridog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On pawnshop finds.
Very nice rifles and great idea,what would be the things to look out for when buying from pawns as far as safety and shootability in the firearms?I am a bit new at this.But i am going to check a couple of pawns in my area.Thanks for any info.

Walk Verrrry soft on pawn guns. Anything in pawn is in that place for a reason, generally not good.

I love to buy from pawn shops and do it often. I always look for deals as far as price and type of gun. I have found that more than once, whenever I get the gun home, there is a stuck bullet in the gun. I usually just buy it with that in mind. It scares some folks and they get rid of it cheaply. But be careful. Some are way overpriced.

I'd bring the following if checking out any used ML: ramrod w/several size jags/patches, some lube/oil for patches, vernier calipers, screwdiver(s), nipple wrench and bore light.

Swab the barrel with wet patch and feel for tight/loose/rough spots. Run a dry patch down the have a look with the bore light. Take the calipers and run them down the lenght of the barrel to check for bulges. Is the barrel crown in good condition? Before patchwork/bore light see how far the ramrod enters the barrel with the jag and compare this to the length of barrel minus the breechplug (e.g. is there a load in there?). I don't like looking down a loaded barrel............

Look for places that work has been done on barrel such as adding sights/mounts (e.g. holes/screws/dovetails added).

Check the funtion of the lock/trigger assy. Good strong spring, hold at half cock, hammer line up with nipple. Bring a rubber cap to put on the nipple so you can test dry fire. Does the nipple unscrew easily.

Check stock for cracks. Particularly the wrist and about the tang/lock inletting. Most hawken types this can be done by removing the barrel and taking out the screw that holds the lock in place. Is the hooked breech a good fit and is the wedge pin(s) tight.

How is the hardware, are the screws in good shape or has "primitive Pete" (no offense to any members named Pete) been using butter knives to screw/unscrew things.

If I was looking I would take a ramrod with tips and patch puller for different calbers and some patches to check bores. You can tell if loaded by just running the rod down the barrel and eyeballing where it stops. I bought a bobcat that was loaded, was easy to pull as it had a sabot in it. Sometimes the outside tells they story of how they was taken care off. Have bought over 10 guns at flea markets, no major issues, some needed a little tuneing. Seen some I passed on and some I wished I had bought. Dilly

Will Bison said:
Walk Verrrry soft on pawn guns. Anything in pawn is in that place for a reason, generally not good.

like usely stolen in bigger cities :v ...........bob

Ahhhh profound words from the pros,that's what i was lookin for.I feel confident now about lookin and now i will look like i know what i am doing.
Thank you gentlmen profusely.I apreciate it.. :thumbsup:

Back