• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for Roundball and....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKE

Pilgrim
Reaction score
any other knowledgable persons. I ID you roundball because I see in a current thread where Zonie the MOD refers to you as the resident T/C hawken expert. Question is: I have a T/C Hawken 50cal that was a cousins (my memory says it's at least 30 years old) and it is in excellant shape. I'm wondering if it was a kit or came assembled and I would like to find also if it is the 1:48 ROT that many say they usually are. Only info I have is the ser # which is K193520 (K=kit?), the barrel is stamped T/C 50Cal, flats are 15/16 across and it does have the set screw under the nipple area that looks as it might run straight into the powder chamber. I emailed T/C customer service with questions but got no reply, can you provide any information here. Thanks in advance

BKE said:
any other knowledgable persons. I ID you roundball because I see in a current thread where Zonie the MOD refers to you as the resident T/C hawken expert. Question is: I have a T/C Hawken 50cal that was a cousins (my memory says it's at least 30 years old) and it is in excellant shape. I'm wondering if it was a kit or came assembled and I would like to find also if it is the 1:48 ROT that many say they usually are. Only info I have is the ser # which is K193520 (K=kit?), the barrel is stamped T/C 50Cal, flats are 15/16 across and it does have the set screw under the nipple area that looks as it might run straight into the powder chamber. I emailed T/C customer service with questions but got no reply, can you provide any information here. Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to our community!

To answer your questions, yes, the "K" stands for kit. Your ROT is 1:48, so it will shoot PRB's and conicals both. The screw below the nipple is a clean out screw. It can also be used to dribble in a little powder just in case you fogot to load the powder.

It has been about thirty years since I built my first ML, also a T/C Hawken and it had the prettiest piece of fiddle back walnut. They are good rifles.

If you need help with loading suggestions or cleaning, just ask us!

By no means an expert, but I believe you are correct that the "k" in the serial number indicates a Kit gun. Otherwise, looks pretty standard. Hawken, 15/16 barrel, older, so no QLA. Sounds like a nice rifle!

Don't email Thompson Center, call them, or instead, if you have a problem that needs fixing just send the gun to the "Service Manager". Don't call or email, just explain what you need repaired in a note with the gun.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are only interested in whether your rifle is a kit or not, don't bother TC. They have enough to do keeping people with real problems happy.

Yes, the "K" stands for Kit. I have a .54 caliber TC Hawken that I built from a kit and it's serial number has the "K" prefix.

Almost all TC Hawkens have the 1:48 twist with fairly shallow grooves.
They were designed to shoot solid lead conicals and patched roundballs and they do a good job of it once you find the right combination of powder and projectile.

As you will learn here, because of the shallow grooves in the barrel they like a fairly thick patch around the roundball if you choose to shoot them.

Your TC will probably like a .490 diameter lead roundball patched with a .015-.018 thick cotton patch loaded over 75 grains of black powder, either 2Fg or 3Fg.

Pyrodex or 777 can also be used in your gun but do not buy the preformed pellets. They are expensive and they were made for those modern things with shotgun or rifle primers.

For your Hawken, loose powder is the only way to go.

If you deal with T/C, ask for Roland. nicest & most helpful guy they have, one of the old timers who knows his stuff, especially what "customer service" realy means.

I'm waiting on a response to asking about how to upgrade my flinter to the new lock...and waiting... :snore:

If I were you I would just send the lock, or gun, to the "Service Manager" and explain that the lock is not realible. Don't call, don't email. They will probably upgrade it for free. They have been very good to me so far.

: I have a T/C Hawken 50cal that was a cousins (my memory says it's at least 30 years old) and it is in excellant shape. I'm wondering if it was a kit or came assembled and I would like to find also if it is the 1:48 ROT that many say they usually are. Only info I have is the ser # which is K193520 (K=kit?), the barrel is stamped T/C 50Cal, flats are 15/16 across

As already said, the K means kit. But.. it does not mean the whole gun was a kit. For example, I have a TC Hawken .50 that I got in '74 but also have a .45 barrel that I picked up at a gun show. The .45 barrel was a kit barrel and has the K on it too.

Check the barrel channel also. If you find a matching serial number there it's definitely a kit all around. OTOH, my stock has no serial number cause it has been replaced three times under TC warranty. :)

Reads like a nice gun and like Zonie said, once you get it dialed in it will make you a fine shooter. As far as loads go, mine always prefered 70 grains of ff with a tight patch and ball. Others have found success with the same load but that does not make it an all around load. Yours will make it's own rules. :)

Thanks all for the replies. You'll probably be hearing from me again because I'm planning on getting this out to the range and hopefully into the field once I gather up the basic items/projectiles/powder needed to get started in shooting BP. I do plan on starting w/PRB and unless I want to drive an hour+ will have to settle for Pyro RS from the local WallyWorld. Again, Thanks!

I built a few Thompson Centers as well. They are good guns and good people to deal with. The serial numbers on the barrell will start with the letter K for the kits and if you take off the lock there is a "K" stamped in the wood where the lock plate contacts it. It's pretty easy to see. Keep safe and remember you are among friends. I wish they had the internet when I was starting out.

Longfowler;
Thanks for that info.I have a 30yrar old Hawken that needs some work.E-mailed cutomer service and I am getting nowhere.Have it boxed up ready to ship today.But last two E-mails were never answered. :cursing:

Buck Tail said:
Longfowler;
Thanks for that info.I have a 30yrar old Hawken that needs some work.E-mailed cutomer service and I am getting nowhere.Have it boxed up ready to ship today.But last two E-mails were never answered. :cursing:

Don't email Thompson Center, don't call them, instead, if you have a problem that needs fixing just send the gun to the "Service Manager". Don't call or email, just explain what you need repaired in a note with the gun.

Did that today!!! Their customer service dept. shure has went down hill from the last time I had a dealing with them

Yep; it's gone downhill so bad I am done with their products. If they don't have the good sence to handle their email or phone calls I will not buy a single thing from them again. They got too big for their britches in my opinion.

Back