• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the "old guys"...Is it just me or are there others?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first involvement in a union was a trade union, I went from making $7 an hour building houses to $17-$21 per hour depending on the job. For the most part it was all bull work, and yes, we worked, the guys that didn't were sent home at the end of the week. My last couple of years in construction I did a lot of lay out and instrument work because I was thorough and very particular. I enjoyed that work because it made my mind work, and I didn't feel like a mule pulling a plow every day.

I left the trade to work in a union chemical plant, it's a completely different structured union than trade unions. The work was more busy work, but it was 12 hour swing shifts, if you've never worked them, you have no idea what they do to you, and I can't explain it to make you understand. It's one of those things you have to experience to understand. We made good money, at least for around here but you are being paid for your health.

I've been told several times by company people who were involved in contract negotiation that our wages were only a small part of the cost for making the product. At least in the chemical plants I worked in.

Unions aren't perfect, but when they came about, they were needed. I have seen folks protected that should've been fired but I have also seen the inverse.

For folks that say unions ruined whatever industry, corporate greed plays a role in it too.

Are unions perfect? No, but who are what is?

I hesitate to jump in on the union non union argument. But here goes. Many see this in an either or argument when it is more a question of degree. Many businesses exploit workers with limited options for alternatives. Many CEOs making multi millions with the employees getting bare minimum. On the other hand there are unions that protect jobs that are no longer needed or workers who don’t do the job. Is one better than the other?

I hesitate to jump in on the union non union argument. But here goes. Many see this in an either or argument when it is more a question of degree. Many businesses exploit workers with limited options for alternatives. Many CEOs making multi millions with the employees getting bare minimum. On the other hand there are unions that protect jobs that are no longer needed or workers who don’t do the job. Is one better than the other?

Well stated and I agree completely.

Please understand I'm not trying to argue, just stating my experiences and perspective. I have absolutely no problem with others having differing experiences or perspectives. If a person is fortunate enough to work for a "good" company, there is no benefit to them from a union.

I have disliked older UK made cars and such for over 50 years due to two outstanding incidents.

First was i was instructed to jump start an old MG (?). I recall i told the owner it may be a positive ground. He disagreed and the bottom of the battery (and all the acid/plates) blew out. Luckily the gas station owner heard me warn him and the owner telling me to do it.

Second was buying a wartime BSA still in its 55 gallon drum. Took 3 months pay as a Basic Airman to pay for it, First ride both tires came apart from rot. Later it seized as it could nor keep up with the 120F temp at the base in Las Vegas.

Ah, right. So you have wide historical experience of both cars and motorcycles built in Great Britain.

An old MG of indeterminate age that blew a battery in spite of your advise.

And a 'canned' motorcycle from WW2 that for some unaccountable blew the tires after being stored incorrectly for an undisclosed number of years.

And for those instances, all British-made cars and motorcycles are c**p.

Okay.

Back to the original topic. I'm 61 and was raised on a farm, my brothers and sisters and I had a lot of fun but worked hard too. We were always outside, either working or playing, our house wasn't air conditioned and it was usually hotter inside than outside. We ate pinto beans a lot and to this day I still love them. At the time I didn't realize why we had beans so much, but now I do. They were cheap and feeding five hungry rug rats took a lot. We all worked in the garden too. Having retired a couple months ago I have a garden for the first time in many years, I have and use my grandfather's hoe. I smile every time I pick it up thinking of him.

Today I think most kids miss out on being outside and letting their imaginations go. So yes I miss yesterday, sitting in the shade late in the afternoon with whittling with my Dad, neither saying anything for the most part, just relaxing and pondering our thoughts.

+1. I’m 71…….A transition era baby boomer. By 40 years old realized that all the marvels of technology coming on the scene, while possessing productively enhancing potential, also led down a path of heavy dependence on outside sources.. While this was an important factor for making a living and supporting a family, upon retirement, I anticipated my desire to shed as much technology dependence as possible, particularly with the hobbies/pastimes I planned upon retirement…..shooting/hunting, fishing, driving(cars, motorcycles). Shortly after the muscle car madness in the 60’s-early 70’s, I became a true affectionato of the Porsche. Living in the country, I came to the realization that straight roads are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers….This was the focus, forte and claim to fame of the Porsche. IMO, the outstanding build quality, and, the balance of handling, light weight, power, and braking was optimized, and the reasons the company remains as one of the most profitable, and recognizable brands to this day. I was drawn to the early model 356’s, and held onto my 60 Roadster for decades in anticipation of retirement….In storage, but kept in working order.. When I retired, I made it road ready. Now, it’s a routine driver, no computers needed/self-serviceable,, 30MPG, odometer: +180,000 miles, dead reliable……And, few modern cars can keep up with it from point A-B on the back country roads I still inhabit. Also, just one man’s opinion.
View attachment 147265

You could buy sixty Porsches like mine for the price of yours, but the genes are still there...

1656600888778.png

Beings this is somewhat Historical forum , I tend to read from a Historical perspective.At the time that Unions came in , Business had it all their way. Abusive,& didn't care about the Well being of their Labor. As the pendelum moved it swung too far out of Balance. the money involved in Unions, made the union take on a life of it's own.Historically no one can Deny that they have improved working conditons. But at the same time just like all things Money,Unions have been abusive to Business. It's Cyclical and rarely lands in the middle. To do that BOTH sides need to Negociate in GOOD FAITH,Money just dosen't allow that. Now as far as English Bikes go, I've always admired Triumph. Not just the Bike but the Marketing aspect.It seems to Me that they want to kill off the Competition, by Killing off the Competition....I speak from Experience..IMAGINE me Flying down a VERY STEEP hill towards a VERY BUSY BLVD..STOMPING the hell out of the shifter, Wondering WHY this SOB won't stop..The brake was on the Right. I was kiilled of course.....Gotta love it..............Wally

Beings this is somewhat Historical forum , I tend to read from a Historical perspective.At the time that Unions came in , Business had it all their way. Abusive,& didn't care about the Well being of their Labor. As the pendelum moved it swung too far out of Balance. the money involved in Unions, made the union take on a life of it's own.Historically no one can Deny that they have improved working conditons. But at the same time just like all things Money,Unions have been abusive to Business. It's Cyclical and rarely lands in the middle. To do that BOTH sides need to Negociate in GOOD FAITH,Money just dosen't allow that. Now as far as English Bikes go, I've always admired Triumph. Not just the Bike but the Marketing aspect.It seems to Me that they want to kill off the Competition, by Killing off the Competition....I speak from Experience..IMAGINE me Flying down a VERY STEEP hill towards a VERY BUSY BLVD..STOMPING the hell out of the shifter, Wondering WHY this SOB won't stop..The brake was on the Right. I was kiilled of course.....Gotta love it..............Wally

that is not far fetched. I had a friend in high school who had a Yamaha 350 and wanted to try the British twin. Ran into the back of a stopped car, flew over it, and was almost killed, doing just what you described. he was in the hospital with a broken back for many months!! Luck he survived!

A friend's wife, as a child with her nanny and political parents, saw J. Edgar in a blue dress. She also witnessed the killing of everyone in a house (down in Central America) except her and her nanny. She had some issues, as you might guess, but I had no reason to doubt her memories. 😲
I hate to hear this. I have heard of some of the things that went on in South America as well as other places and have no reason to doubt what you wrote.

Strange morph, from doing things to the good vs. bad of Unions.
I am of the opines that unions have done good in the past, but the organizers quickly learned how they could make themselves quite rich off the backs of the union members. They have had their day long ago.

But, back to doing things the "Olde" way: A few years back, a rancher invited me to hunt on his 900-acre wooded plot. So as to do some scouting, find deer trails and such, I invited me to go along on a day hike. I fixed up a light backpack, and off we went.

About noon time, I suggested that we top and relax for a while. Asked him to make a small campfire, and I started digging into the pack. Brought out a small coffee percolator and some coffee and sugar. Then a small sack filled with cookies.

Well, this young (45 +/-) guy had never seen a percolator pot! I had to explain the whole concept and operati0n to him! He was totally enthralled with it. I then had to tell him how, even longer ago, people just tossed the beaten-up coffee beans into the pot and added water. He asked about the coffee grounds, and I explained that a small dash of water, or some egg shells would precipitate the grounds, and/or you could filter the coffee through your mustache.

Was a great adventure for him! He couldn't wait to go hiking again, and have me show him the "dump the crushed coffee beans into the water" thing. If I had found some green coffee beans, would have shown him how to brown them in the frying pans.

I urge each and every one of you to grab a younger person and take them for a day in the woods. Show them how to do things the "old fashioned" way, how to hunt for signs of game, how to pick a blind to hunt from, how to judge distances, etc. It will be fun and educational for both of you!

Last edited:
Years ago…my son had this group of friends. They came over to play all the time.

One day, I taught the boys how to catch bullfrogs, we had an impromptu biology dissection and went over all the internal gross anatomy. I showed them how to cook the bullfrogs, and we had them for lunch. After lunch I showed them how flint & steel works…and we all spent the rest of the afternoon doing fire races, with flint & steel…great time.

That evening the front door rings. I answer, and there’s this huge muscular guy standing there, he says, “You tge guy that taught my boys how to start fires without matches?”

Very nervously, I answer “Yes”

And he replies, “Could you teach me?”

Very relieved that I got to live…and yes, he also knows how to use flint & steel.

Just my $.02. I'm now 83, and haven't shot BP for decades now, even tho in my mind I am still on a woods walk during the FIW. In high school (1952) I joined the HS Rifle Club (remember those?) and the instructors were 2 Marines recently home from Korea. They were ML enthusiasts and would find old muskets and rifles in peoples' attics, clean them up, tie 'em to a tree and test fire them. Then us kids got a turn! I remember going to a rendezvous in Cos Cob, CT in 1953 where, at 14, I won an offhand 50 yard match against a lot of old-timers. Our rifle range burned down in about 1954, and I didn't touch an ML for many years after that until the early '90s, when I got the itch again. Bought a Traditions Pennsylvania rifle in .45, and started burning some powder again. Then I got really hooked, and started buying ML books and such and decided to build a flinter. Took me a while, but I finished it in 1995. I took it to Dixon's that year, and was fortunate enough to be awarded 3rd prize in the 1st Gun category. At Dixon's I bought the parts for my next build - a Jim Chambers lock, Getz swamped .45 barrel and a Tiger Hunt stock blank.

Unfortunately for my ML career, I got sidetracked by unmentionable clay target shooting, and put my flinter down. Haven't shot it for over 25 years now, and guess I'll never get around to building another. Still have all the parts (except the stock blank) - I should probably sell the parts here sometime. Also have a ton of books: Shumway, Buchele, Roberts, Meek and others. Also a full original set of the 5 vols of JHAT. Maybe someday I'll get around to posting all that stuff here.

I'll just have to be content with my fond memories of being afield with the flinter and the sweet smell of BP!
Good morning. I was out just a week ago trying to work up a more accurate load in my flinter and I am 83. I would encourage you to dig yours out and go out to the range and shoot a few times. If you still got some black powder, I bet it will work. Make a little smoke and let then know that old guys are tough.
Squint

Old guy reverse sticker shock has me scouring the internet for prices on my long-neglected gun stuff. I've been thinning out unused stuff for a couple of years, with relatively new things going first as they are on the "outside layer" of attics/storage unit. Pricing new things is easy.

Getting into black powder with $2.89 price sticker, checking today's prices tells me the price stickers on everything is not a good way to do this. Might be a clue as to why my gunshow tables always sell out. Selling stuff my offspring doesn't want is a daunting task.

Couple of guys mentioned South America. I spent six months there. I got to see the Andes and Machu Picchu. Most of my time was in Peru and Chile, but I also saw Brazil and Uruguay. Hung out on Copacabana Beach.

I fell for a gal in Chile. She was a student at the University of Santiago studying to be a pharmacist. Greenest eyes I have ever seen. Her parents fled Czechoslovakia when the Soviets rolled in and settled there. I wouldn't say she was the one that got away but man she was beautiful.

that is not far fetched. I had a friend in high school who had a Yamaha 350 and wanted to try the British twin. Ran into the back of a stopped car, flew over it, and was almost killed, doing just what you described. he was in the hospital with a broken back for many months!! Luck he survived!
That happens to be a true story ( except the part about being killed.) Amer.& Jap = Brake on the Right ft. Eng. Brake on the left.I don't know why it is , it just is. 650 Triumph chopped ,16"over ,raked & hardtailed. be safe...Wally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back