• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question on hunting in rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sojourner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last day tomorrow in PA. lyman trade flint 50. Was told to put a toothpick in the "touch hole" to keep from getting it wet and causing a no ignition. I can't see how I can do this while keeping the pan closed. I have a "cows knee" lock cover.

What should I do, in addition to using the lock cover, while hunting all day in the rain to help ensure good ignition?

Thanks!

Find a nice thick pine tree to set under and try to stay dry. :grin: And keep the muzzle down and the lock up under your arm.

Keeping your lock area covered, under your coat, changing the pan powder often, plugging the vent hole, all help some. However, the high humidity in the air while raining, snowing, or even fog, will sometimes cause problems that even these methods will not prevent. A trick I have found that seems to work well is to carry a small bottle of denatured alcohol in my possibles bag. I use an old nasal spray bottle. Squirt a little alcohol on a cleaning patch, stick that in the pan, wadded up against the touch hole, and close the frizzen on top of it. Let it sit for a few minutes. As the 100% alcohol evaporates, it pulls water with it - at least that is the theory. It dries your pan out very nicely and pulls water vapor from the main charge area if any is present. I have used this method several times, in conjunction with all of the other things you have already mentioned, and had no problem with ignition during the humid/raining conditions. Give it a try :thumbsup:

they always told me to take white lithium grease and put it around the pan,close the frizzen,put on the cows knee,under yer arm...and....hunt quick! good luck! take care of it an it'll work! RC

Thanks for the replies. Now for a quick trip to the pharmacy for denatured alcohol. I can try the lithium grease, maybe I'll just start w/ the denatured alcohol. Cow's knee on, barrel down, change primer powder often.

Hunting archery, all my hunting has been on stands. I've read that still hunting is the way to go during rain. Due to the deer being bedded down and the wet ground being easier to sneak around on.

Including the all day rain, I am hunting in a place that is chock full of swamps. I'm going to test how good my knee high waterproof boots are tomorrow also.

Thanks for the replies.

We're supposed to get freezing rain by morning. If that happens, I won't have to worry about it, I'll be sitting in the house. :winking:

I leave the pan dry, and just close the frizzen on a toothpick. But, I am going to use the alcohol and patch technique the next time it rains on a hunt. You will have to go to a hardware or home supply store to find Denatured Alcohol. Drug stores carry rubbing alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol, both having a percentage of water in them. The 2 oz nasal spray bottle seems to be the best thing to carry in a pocket on a rainy day along with a couple of patches.

Don't worry about having to prime your pan when you see something coming. In the rain, deer move slowly, as the rain makes so much noise it interferes with their use o their ears as a primary defense sensor. You will have time to prime the pan. Use 3Fg or 2Fg, whatever you are putting down the barrel, for your prime. Don't bother to carry or try to use 4Fg powder. The coarser powders take on moisture slower than does priming powder. When you see a deer coming, just move behind your tree, if you are on the ground, prime the pan while taking a glance to see if the deer is staying on the same course, close the frizzen, cock the hammer, and mount the gun to your shoulder. swing the muzzle out around the tree trunk, to line up on the deer where you have a good shooting lane, and wait for the deer to get there. To prevent the " click " sound of cocking the hammer to full cock, just pull on the trigger and hold it back while you pull the hammer all the way back. Then, release the trigger, and then lower the hammer to the full cock notch. Very quiet way to get the job done.

Again the rain makes a lot of noise, so it is going to cover sounds you make, and the movement of trees, limbs, and leaves, if they are still on the trees, will also hide you, and any movement you make. The barrel of the gun, if its moved slowly, is going to look like a tree limb. Remember also that the deer have horrible depth perception because their eyes are located on the side of their heads, and not in front like yours. You have binocular vision. Prey species like deer do not. They react to any and all movement, because the only real defense they have is to run away- from anything that scares them. So, make all movements very slow. Hunting in the rain can be very productive, and you usually don't have to be out in the stuff before first light. Deer will often stay in the beds until 8 A.M. before leaving to feed. They want the light of the sun, and like all of us, they are a little bit optimistic that if they just wait, the skies will clear and the rain will stop.

Good luck on the last day hunting!
I really envie you guys with your late Flintlock season.The only thing I Been hunting lately lives on the Bottom of the Atlantic. :thumbsup:

Good Luck to ya.
Hunting in the rain isn't bad if you prepare as others have mentioned, it's after the shot that gets me. I hate field-dressing and dragging in rain so I just sit those hunts out at home or at the sport shops shooting the breeze. Getting to old for that stuff, didm't bother me when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Let us know how you made out.

Another new guy here form PA...went out this morning and as I got to the orchard I usually hunt, it started pouring! Sat in the truck for a while then tried moving to the woods near the edge of the orchard. Spent 3 hours getting me wet while trying to keep the pan dry. Results....I'm soaked but the pan stayed dry. Maybe this afternoon it will let up enough to try before sunset.

Paul,
thanks for the trick for the silent cock. :bow: hadn't thought of that. It will get used.

bramble

The real surprise always comes when someone actually takes their unloaded gun down off the gunrack, and tries to cock the gun the way I described. If I am present, they always turn to look at me, get a big smile on their face, and say, " It works!?!" Glad I could pass on a tip I learned many, many years ago.

Hi Guys
Well here goes. I use hot wax, I melt it and pour it around the lock, were it touches the barrel. (close the frizzen and unloaded. I then open the frizen and pour in powder (primer the 3f is a good ider). Once this is done I drip wax around the frize seal on the pan. I then load the muzzle loader. This must be done with extreme caution!!!! A safe direction and no interferrence. Do this at your own risk..lol. I then put my cow knucle around the frizen etc...
'Hey it works for me...but be warned it isn't the safest way...My best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Paul and everyone, thanks for the responses. Good news, combination of lock cover and using denatured alcohol and cotton q-tips (only cleaned/changed primer twice during the whole day), my powder stayed dry and I had good ignition. Not so good news, the ignition came at the end of the day/season when I shot off my round to empty the rifle(gotta clean the rifle tomorrow).

Tried still hunting into the swamps, not a sign (boots held up). Posted against a tree overlooking different exit trails from the swamp, not a sign. Some more still hunting up on a different ridge where I spotted sign earlier, not a sign.

As Paul described, I was able to use the "trick" to get the rifle to full cock without sound. I figured that out somehow while I was sighting it in / shooting practice before I took it out hunting.

Well, I guess it is why it is called hunting and not food shopping. I'll have all summer to anticipate my first flintlock harvest.

Again thanks. I'll be soon posting on some questions on my lyman trade rifle and possible "hunting" modification / setup.

I have this familiar feeling that this is going to be addictive as archery hunting.

Here's to better luck next year. :hatsoff:

Blackpowder is AT LEAST as addictive as archery... yer done for now. A double addict.:youcrazy:

And a flinter too...

I also was able to get out again in the afternoon yesterday when the rain slowed down. Powder stayed dry but no deer to be seen :( , my oldest son did get 2 squirrels because our late flintlock runs with small game.

Also being new to BP, my BIL got me hooked, I have really gotten hooked. It is as much fun just to go shooting as to go hunting. My other rifles are fun, but BP is a blast! pun intended

A few weeks ago I was on a stand in Berks County, had the lock stuffed under my arm pit and figured it was time to dump the pan and put in some fresh prime. In the dumping process a drop or rain about the size of your average toilet flush landed right in the pan. How it got past the brim of my hat is a mystery. Ah yes, I can tell you that visions of sugar plums were not exactly dancing in my head at that time. :cursing: I had to pull the ball, dump the charge, dry everything out as best I could in the drizzle and relaod. I was sure that a buck was going to walk by while all this was going on... And maybe one did. I was so intent on the unloading, cleaning and reloading that I had no idea what else was going on.

I have a new post under the flintlock rifles section. It has to do w/ my first post season cleaning and RUST!! argh!!!

I would appreciate it if anyone took a look at it and shared their expertise with me.

Thanks and kindest regards.

Back