• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about building a persona

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonecutter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm with a reenactment group that is active in both F&I and rev-war events. My question is, do any of you carry multiple persona to fit two different times or have you developed one that is usable over that 30-40 time line?

The thought I've always had was to portray a German immigrant farmer. Since we started doing things that were about 30-40 years apart, I wasn't sure how to keep the same persona for both activities (I'm actually in my mid 50's). My son does reenacting with me (as does my daughter), so one thought was to play the father for F&I and the grown son for rev war. My 17 year old would be the "young son" for F&I events and the "new son" for rev war. The reason for the German farmer stems from my heritage. My last name is Steinmetz which translates to, you guessed it, Stonecutter (e.g. my username). My clothing is all late F&I so I've always told people it was made well and passed down whenever I do rev war stuff. My bangstick is a homemade early Lancaster,PA style, but I'm also getting ready to go after an early style Jaeger (or Jager depending on where you come from ) which would probably be more appropriate for a German immigrant. I haven't really built up a story line yet, as some of you have, but my thoughts have gone toward trying to find an actual German farmer living in the PA area at the time (by visiting local grave yards in the Bucks and Northampton counties in PA) and then trying to do research on that person to build from there. From other formum member's experiences, is that too much work? Should I just make something up and try to base it on historical events?

I am working up a detailed persona for the revwar group I am in. We of the Yarmouth Minutemen portray 1774 and the lead up to war. (If the King doesn't wise up real soon and see the facts as they are there could be a WAR soon! And that's not good for anybody.)
But when we travel to other groups or events that take place later in the period I create as "splinter persona" that suits that event. If the setting does not suit a sailor I can be an escaped Jack Tar that just wants to start a farm. If you have good basic knowledge of the era you can come up with something appropriate pretty fast.

My group is active in the F&I war period . Since two years we had some invitations for a Queen Anne war period event
( 1704 ) We did our best to adapt but can not yet
afford really PC guns for that period .
At first we wanted to make a personna that would be the father of our F&I war ones but it was not possible for
everybody because the Queen Anne war event was top heavy
with officers and nobility .
Even worse for me , the oldest officer at the 1704
event was 38 years old and I am 53 . Just did
the best I could to follow .

Back