• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions on Underhammer Building

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihunts2much

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am contemplating building an underhammer. I saw the actions that Track of the Wolf offers and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. I have a few questions. They say the receiver/tang is cast with a .740 hole. I would plan on using a 5/8 breechplug, so any reason I couldn't reduce this with a bushing? Also I don't see any cylinder breech plugs for sale. Can you modify a 5/8" fine thread bolt for this purpose?

ihunts2much said:
Try this: http://muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/cgi-bin/mbscart/agora.cgi

If that doesn't work just do a store search for underhammer.

IMG_9706.jpg

trigger-1.jpg

Here is a photo of the above action that they sell. It takes quite a bit of work and experience. Every thing is cast and the trigger guard needs to be made into a spring. I shaped and bent the tang to fit my stock. John Taylor did the rest to make thing work. Holes need to be drilled, casting marks and metal need to be ground down.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the parts on that action are "as cast". If your not handy with tool don't attempt it. There was some talk about this action a while back, something about the molds being stolen property.
Deer Creek will sell you an action that will take a 5/8" breach plug and you won't need to work to fit all the parts , 765-525-6181.
I still make an action sometimes, got a few in the works right now including a SS frame.

ihunts2much said:
Thanks for the replies,got a Deer Creek action on order.

PB020349.jpg

Here are a couple of their actions I put together. Can you tell me what they are asking nowadays for the action?

Back