• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions regarding a Green Mountain barrel...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this T/C Hawken semi-locally and was told that it has a Green Mountain barrel.

Being a "greenhorn" myself, I have the following questions for the collective...

1. Can anyone verify from the stamp that this is a Green Mountain barrel?
2. If the answer to 1 is "yes", can anyone comment on the corrosion present in the breech where the flash channel enters?
3. My understanding is that this is a 15/16ths barrel if it is a Green Mountain. Is that correct?
4. Thoughts on the Williams sight pictured?

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Agree with @Loyalist Dave and his comments.

Green Mountain made 15/16” and 1” drop in barrels for TC, you need to measure the barrel to know what it is. The corrosion in the breech is not a good sign. Barrel may cleanup or could require a refreshing or rebore. If the nipple hole threads are also corroded, that’s another issue that will need to be addressed. Good luck.

The second picture of the breech configuration this common for GM barrels, the short drilled flash chamber turned me off, all TCs have this chamber drilled all the way under the nipple. When I saw this in my barrel, I got out my Dremel and extended the flash chamber all the way under the nipple. Before you critics get in an uproar about my Dremel use, let it be known I was a power duck decoy carver with years of detail carving experience with a Dremel and Fordom tool, I also have a selection of bits the likes of which most people have never heard of.

The corrosion in the breech of the gun in question is a huge red flag, it wasn't cleaned properly, I suspect the barrel has some of this rusting and pitting as well but you wouldn't know for sure without a good bore scope.

I would pass on this gun because of the badly corroded breech.

Latest posts

Back