• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions regarding an England and Scotland trip in 2025

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately dues to the stupid gun laws we have here it will be very difficult to shoot on your trip, there is no provision any more for someone to walk onto a range to shoot. Gun clubs are allowed to have up to 12 open days per year which have to be organised 2 weeks in advance with the local police, if you can contact a shooter here his/her club may be able to arrange an open day for you, there is the opportunity to go stalking ( hunting for deer) but you will not be able to use black powder, rifles can be provided by the estate you shoot on (will be quite expensive though) The MLAGB, muzzle loading club of Great Britain, have their own ranges at Wedgnock just outside of Warwick (lovely town with nice castle) They may have an open day to fit in with your trip, best of luck.

What you said has been my understanding, the laws are restrictive. I'll contact the MLAGB a few months out from the trip to see what they have to say.

words "England" and "cuisine" are oxymorons. I lived there for three years. English food is no more than stomach filler. There are a variety of ethnic restaurants in London that offer great food.

I'm certainly disappointed by the stomach filler comment, but thanks for being honest. We will only be in London for a few days, mostly planning to head across the countryside to different locations. Hopefully there will be some decent food along the way. A local gal says try the fish and chips.

Having lived in the UK for 10 years, I would suggest considering their trains for your journey. First, they are much better than American trains, and it makes for an enjoyable trip while watching the countryside. Second, remember driving in the UK you're on the other side of the road, and many (most) of the rental cars are also manual transmission only. So, a lot to keep track of while driving there.
And they sell beer on the trains (at least they did).

Last edited:
What you said has been my understanding, the laws are restrictive. I'll contact the MLAGB a few months out from the trip to see what they have to say.

I'm certainly disappointed by the stomach filler comment, but thanks for being honest. We will only be in London for a few days, mostly planning to head across the countryside to different locations. Hopefully there will be some decent food along the way. A local gal says try the fish and chips.
While in London you should definitely visit James Purdey & Sons. They are in Audley House within the Mayfair district. A lot of high end/luxury shops in Mayfair so your wife will enjoy that. The Royal Armouries has firearms on display within the Tower of London.

If you will be visiting Leeds, the Royal Armouries is open to the public and well worth the visit.

The trains are a great way to travel in the U.K. I have ridden them from King's Cross in London to Durham in the Northeast, from Durham to Inverness, Scotland, and shorter trips between Leeds and Durham.

That island is a lot bigger than it looks, and driving from London to Scotland is not as easy as one might think, especially if you have never drove in the U.K. before. They are way ahead of us in public transportation in both train service and coach (bus).

words "England" and "cuisine" are oxymorons. I lived there for three years. English food is no more than stomach filler. There are a variety of ethnic restaurants in London that offer great food.
I would argue that curry has been encorporated into our national cuisine for a while now, and French fine dining has had a big influence at the higher end of things, to the extent that we now have English fine dining.

But yes, there are a lot of places to eat not very exciting food. None of it will kill you though, we have a reasonably robust system of food hygiene inspections and the results are published online

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/

I would argue that curry has been encorporated into our national cuisine for a while now, and French fine dining has had a big influence at the higher end of things, to the extent that we now have English fine dining.

But yes, there are a lot of places to eat not very exciting food. None of it will kill you though, we have a reasonably robust system of food hygiene inspections and the results are published online

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/
You agree with me. Boiled cabbage and potatoes ain't very exciting. A personal story here in the U.S. illustrates that. A former member here from England flew over and stayed with me for about two weeks and hunted with me and others during the Arkansas deer muzzle loading season. I picked him up at the airport and went directly to a bbq restaurant. I ordered for him and he got a pulled pork sandwich. A great southern favorite food item. He looked at it and said that sandwich had more protein in it than his family (all of them together) would eat in a week.

You agree with me. Boiled cabbage and potatoes ain't very exciting. A personal story here in the U.S. illustrates that. A former member here from England flew over and stayed with me for about two weeks and hunted with me and others during the Arkansas deer muzzle loading season. I picked him up at the airport and went directly to a bbq restaurant. I ordered for him and he got a pulled pork sandwich. A great southern favorite food item. He looked at it and said that sandwich had more protein in it than his family (all of them together) would eat in a week.
Nothing wrong with cabbage. NeedFried cabbage is worth a look. My Brother is very fond of fried cabbage with pheasant breasts cut into strips, breaded, spiced, and baked. Keeps the meat nice and moist

Never Heard of MLAGB and my limited searching didn't lead me to it. Very good idea! Thanks!!!

We love to shoot clays, Bisley might be a good option to for the ladies too. My wife likes to shoot clays and the daughter in law is quite competitive. Thank you for the links.

Looks like the Royal Armoury is in Leeds, on the way between cities we intend to visit. Hoping its open to the public, haven't found online if it is open to the public. Still searching. My wife liked the NRA museum at Fairfax, VA. Museums are a good idea for sure!

MLAGB = Muzzleloading Association of Great Britain - thousands of members, and it's very odd that you've never heard of them as David Minshall - owner of Research Press and a frequent poster here has an executive position in its ranks. Both he and I frequently mention the title in our posts, although I am not a member.

The Royal Armoury IS in Leeds - it IS open to the public, and it's FREE. It is the largest and most prestigious collection of historical firearms in the UK, and AFAIK, most of Europe, too. Again, it has a very well-laid-out website with all the details of what's on with demonstrations and so on. On YouTube, the principal of the small arms and armour, Jonathon Ferguson, is the UK's version of 'Forgotten Weapons' Ian McCollum of YouTube fame.

Unlike the USA, with its tens of thousands of open-to-the-public shooting locations, gun clubs here are private affairs, although there are a VERY few day visiting centres where paying one-day 'guests' can shoot.

Shotgunning can also be arranged - here we call them shooting grounds - but be prepared to part with some serious money. 'Hunting on the hill' in Scotland can also be entertaining, but needs a lot of pre-planning - and pretty substantial funds to back it up. There are literally DOZENS of companies who deal with that kind of shooting to be found on the www. Get those fingers going!

Last edited:

Are you seriously posting that English food is cr*p? All I can say to that is that if you've never eaten at any of the thousands of starred restaurants here in UK then you have missed out big time.

Here's a little something to start you on your voyage of discovery ;) - https://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/best/uk-top-100-restaurants_238

Last edited:
While in London you should definitely visit James Purdey & Sons. They are in Audley House within the Mayfair district. A lot of high end/luxury shops in Mayfair so your wife will enjoy that. The Royal Armouries has firearms on display within the Tower of London.

If you will be visiting Leeds, the Royal Armouries is open to the public and well worth the visit.

James Purdey is not a 'walk-in' gun shop like Cabela's.

1723823400201.png

At least take the courtesy to call and arrange your visit. https://www.purdey.com/?utm_source=...&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=tenant_referral

Last edited:
MLAGB = Muzzleloading Association of Great Britain - thousands of members, and it's very odd that you've never heard of them as David Minshall - owner of Research Press and a frequent poster here has an executive position in its ranks. Both he and I frequently mention the title in our posts, although I am not a member.

The Royal Armoury IS in Leeds - it IS open to the public, and it's FREE. It is the largest and most prestigious collection of historical firearms in the UK, and AFAIK, most of Europe, too. Again, it has a very well-laid-out website with all the details of what's on with demonstrations and so on. On YouTube, the principal of the small arms and armour, Jonathon Ferguson, is the UK's version of 'Forgotten Weapons' Ian McCollum of YouTube fame.

Unlike the USA, with its tens of thousands of open-to-the-public shooting locations, gun clubs here are private affairs, although there are a VERY few day visiting centres where paying one-day 'guests' can shoot.

Shotgunning can also be arranged - here we call them shooting grounds - but be prepared to part with some serious money. 'Hunting on the hill' in Scotland can also be entertaining, but needs a lot of pre-planning - and pretty substantial funds to back it up. There are literally DOZENS of companies who deal with that kind of shooting to be found on the www. Get those fingers going!
T Foley . Is onto it with good advise . Have a good trip .
Rudyard

I have a question, but feel a little back story would be in order.

Wife and I have an Anniversary coming up, our 35th will be next year. We plan to fly to England next year for our Anniversary, drive through the country side to Scotland then venture to Ireland before flying home to the United States. My son and his wife will be traveling with us, it will be their 5th Anniversary.

My dad's side of the family allegedly came from England many generations ago and settled in the colonies. Mom's side of the family was possibly from Scotland.

My question is; would it be possible for my son and I to shoot a muzzleloader while there? I think it would be awesome to shoot on the land of our ancestors. We are both accomplished shooters, military and/or first responders. If it is possible to shoot, how would it work? Permits at a range only? I would love to go hunting, but a quick Google search doesn't show anything will be in season while we are there. Your advise would be appreciated.
Great idea. There must be some gun club that would have someone who'd host you; keep asking around! Good luck. There's many authentic re-enactor units over there, look up some and inquire via internet.

Wood pigeon's are pests no season on them. Yet in my view they are the finest game birds in the UK pheasants are mere 'chucks' the woody is a challenged you might ask Felt Wad he.s into pest thinning .Got to look after first responders I was SAR & Still CD . You might buy few decoys good suveneers or theres' flighting' .Suggest Lincolnshire large farms simplyfies things .Old small farm regions like Deby shire more involved as none are big and boundaries tighter together .large tracts of peas get the woodies interested . Archie Coats made a living thinning out woodies but Rooks , Crows, Jackdaw,s Magpies & Jays all ,deemed pests .Rabbits & Hares are Game if the owner says they are but other wise their considered pests
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

I'm not sure how the trip is going to happen at this point. Also, not certain if anyone happened to see my post on the "What did you do today?" thread. We recieved great news from our son and his wife, they are having a baby! However, the baby's arrival will be just a couple months before we planned to depart for Great Britain. My wife and I only have so much vacation time and seeing the new baby (our first grand baby) will certainly take priority over a pleasure trip. We would still love to see England, Scotland and Ireland, however we may have to bucket list the trip for now.

I'm certainly excited about our first Grand Child! Cannot wait to meet the little rascal!

Thank you all for your sound wisdom and advice!

~waarp8nt

Back