• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quigley Down Under

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got through watching the movie again. I was wondering, what was the rifle the British soldiers were carrying? Kind of looked like a baker rifle.

Either Enfields or Snider Enfields (modernized breechloading version).

Just looked at the movie again & paused it at the scenes were the British rifles are shown. They definately aren't Sniders as there's no breech loading mechanism, though you'd think by post 1874 (based on Quigley using an M.1874 Sharps) they would have been using them, so must be some variety of Enfield Cavalry Carbine, as guessed at above, as they have a saddle ring & bar on the side.....definately not Musketoons which were designed for use by the Artillery.

I wish I had the movie on DVD in order to pause it. Those rifles looked like muzzleloaders though I couldn't tell for sure. This movie has an interesting mix of weapons. One of Marsten's guys had an Enfield rifled musket(at least it looked like one). Another one had what looked like an American plains (read "Hawken") type muzzleloader. They all had cap and ball revolvers. I liked the shipping agent's boot pistol at the very end of the movie. It was fun to watch the movie and pick out the different types of guns.

Those carbines were old Indian-made Enfields which were popular in the mid-1970s with the Civil War reinactment crowd. Not detailed very well, but usually stood up pretty good. Still have a lock from one in the shop. I sold 20-30 of them in my store. Cheers, Bookie

Back