• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R.E.A.L. bullets work in GPR's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbtusa

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck shooting the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets through a .54 Lyman GPR? If so, which size?

I don't know how well the .54s handle R.E.A.L. bullets, but my .50 GPR (1 in 66") shoots the 250-grainers VERY well over 85 grains of GOEX 3fg. Shooting from a rest, 50-yard groups of 5 you could cover with a silver dollar, with 4 of the 5 shots touching, were the rule.

By all means, give them a try. I believe you won't be disappointed.

Yes. Try the 300 grain REAL. I recommend a lubed felt wad between powder and ball. 80 grains of 2F is a good starting point.

HD

The heavier one (385 grains?) doesn't work out so hot in the 54 GPR, or at least in mine. I was able to manage 3-4" groups at 50 yards with the best possible combo, which was lubed felt wads and a hot charge of Goex 3f. But I had trouble keeping them on a 12x12" target paper by the time they reached 100 yards. It was as if they really started to wander as velocity dropped with range.

The shorter ones (can't remember the weight, and I'm not home to check) were better, but frankly not as tight as any number of RB loads at either 50 or 100 yards. Lubed felt wads and hot charges of Goex 3f rather than 2f seemed to be the key. I'm guessing that the combo of the hot charge for extra velocity, but also for better bullet upset along with the wads were at the heart of an accuracy system.

I kinda gave up on them because RBs were so much easier to cast, load and shoot. I'm not a long range shooter, but if that changes I'll certainly go back to the REAL again. But if I was serious about shooting conicals in my 54, I'd be changing to a Hunter barrel for the faster twist.

The short REAL in .54 is 300 grain and the long one is 380.
The 300's will work in a 1:60 but require some load work-up.
The 380's shoot great out of the 1:32 "Hunter" barrel.
I'm with you Brownbear on the PRB in the GPR. That's what it is designed to shoot so that's what it shoots best.
The Hunter barrel is a tack driver with the longer conicals. Mine loves the 380 grain REAL as well as several other conicals I cast.

HD

I've tried both the 300 grain and the 380 grain in my GPR's without much luck. That's the main reason I picked up my .54 T/C Hawkens. The 380 grain REAL is deadly in that T/C. My GPR's are very accurate with .530 balls abd that's good ebough for me :thumbsup:

Tonibaruch said:
jbtusa said:
Anyone have any luck shooting the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets through a .54 Lyman GPR? If so, which size?

I dare to ask. But what a GPR is?

Tb

Lyman Great Plains Rifle. They have a 1:60 rifling twist.

The GPH, Great Plains Hunter has a 1:32 twist.

HD

Latest posts

Back