• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain definitely doesn't seem to bother turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
So it’s just barely light enough to avoid bumping into trees when I get set up...nylon camo tarp spread like an A-frame on a rope just overhead expecting rain, I’m 6-8 feet in behind a wall of young wild pines, a few of which I’ve trimmed so I can get a shot charge through a couple places, located on the edge of a weed field and the heavens opened up as predicted. No sweat, the tarp is huge, everything under it is bone dry, I’m leaning back in my little turkey chair, got a thermos of coffee, water, some grub, life is good.

And at 7:00am, a hen appears out of the woods about 75yds away at one end of the weed field and starts foraging down the middle of the field in the rain...a good sign I think, but nothing else shows.

Then at 9:30am, out steps a big beautiful Tom from about the same place...a lot of red and white on his head, big beard...moving very slow and deliberate, would stand motionless except for slight head movements and look down that field for 2 minutes at a time, I assume for hens...and every few minutes shake like a dog to get the rain off.

Since I have not yet had a Tom respond to any calls I’ve made this year, I decided the best thing for me was to stay quiet and see if by chance he might mosey a little closer into gun range...but instead he began foraging down the center of the weed field like the hen had done and out of my limited field of vision...but knowing hens normally feed that field in a huge U-turn, I continued to stay quiet on the assumption he'd curl around and come right back up in front of my boots, but an hour passed and no Tom.

Patience, coffee, sammaches and at 11:30, movement out in the weed field...it’s the Tom and now two hens foraging back up through the middle of the field and he’s much closer than before, at about 50yds but still beyond my 40yd max...I’m thinking maybe this will be my day...the rain has let up by then and when they step clear of the weeds, there’s several yards of bare area in front of the woods line and the hens both stop there and spend the next 30-45 minutes preening, and getting their feathers all back in order.

Meanwhile the Tom is standing around like guys do and starts walking slowly towards the tree line like he’s going into the woods but gets to the edge and turns, following it around towards my position. OK, its show time...heart rate picks up a little, I slip off a glove, cock the set trigger on the Flintlock, and wait for him to cross the 40 yard line into the clear. He’s now at a 45* angle to my left at about 40 yards and stops on a raised area of ground I guess for better visibility out over the field...but now there’s a few 5’ pine trees smack-dab between him and me...the pine limbs & pine straw would shred the pattern so I have to wait.

He stayed there the whole time those hens were fooling with their feathers and when they finally finished, the hens walked over to him and they all just stepped into the woods and vanished. I sat untill 1:00pm and packed it in.

them turkeys! they some smart animals and i truly respect them for that and more. i had 2 gobblers,longbirds, at 50 yards. but they just wouldnt come closer, i was huntin with my longbow, so they had to be with 15 yards! i plan to get a flintlock shotgun and switch back and forth season, a bit of a better chance than a longbow, well neat story and good luck.

Rocky J said:
Hi Bill
You don't use a decoy? :wink: Rocky
I normally do but I saw this same Tom enter that field 2 times earlier in the season and he balked at the decoys both times and left...so I left them in the truck this time

Halftail said:
Still!
It sounded like an Awsome day in the woods! :v
It actually was...from a learning point of view about having turkeys that close for so long, and in the rain, it was one of the best hunts I've been on where I never took a shot...heck, if I don't score this year it's no biggie...I'll just go again next year anyway :grin:

roundball said:
...heck, if I don't score this year it's no biggie...I'll just go again next year anyway :grin:

Hell,
If I quit doing things after not having much success.I wouldn't do not one thing. :grin:
I missed getting a Deer one year,a long time ago,all that did was make me hunt more fierce the next season.I envy all you turkey hunters.The closest I'll get to a turkey this spring is at the grocery store. :(

Halftail said:
The closest I'll get to a turkey this spring is at the grocery store
Can't say as I've been much closer this season myself :redface:

But man, lemme tell you, for the first time ever I bought one of those little hunting chairs.
Cabelas carries one model called the Turkey Lounge, and Campmoor camping supply house in NJ carries a model called the EveRest Chair.

Both are camouflaged and sit just a couple inches up off the ground...(no good for you and 10 ft snow banks)...and even if I didn't hunt, I'd go into the woods just to sit in it they're so comfortable...no more sitting on the ground in front of a tree...man, after several hours, you get up out of these little chairs and it's like you've been in a recliner. Lightweight fold up, carrying strap over the shoulder and walk out. The most unbelievable part is they're only $25.

roundball said:
Halftail said:
The closest I'll get to a turkey this spring is at the grocery store
Can't say as I've been much closer this season myself :redface:

But man, lemme tell you, for the first time ever I bought one of those little hunting chairs.
Cabelas carries one model called the Turkey Lounge, and Campmoor camping supply house in NJ carries a model called the EveRest Chair.

Both are camouflaged and sit just a couple inches up off the ground...(no good for you and 10 ft snow banks)...and even if I didn't hunt, I'd go into the woods just to sit in it they're so comfortable...no more sitting on the ground in front of a tree...man, after several hours, you get up out of these little chairs and it's like you've been in a recliner. Lightweight fold up, carrying strap over the shoulder and walk out. The most unbelievable part is they're only $25.
Roundball,
You can't beat comfort in the woods!I used to go Deer hunting when I was younger only half rigged for the weather.Now I rigg up for cold weather and man I can stay on stand now for hours and hours!That chair sounds good....got a picture of it?

That little chair would be great for squirrel hunting also. There is never anything to set on where you would like to be.
My turkey tag is good for the 5th till the 31 of May and I am scheduled for back surgery May 7, so much for turkey hunting this year. Last year it was my shoulder. What I will miss most is fishing and being able to work in my garden for six to eight weeks. I know I will be ok for deer season.
:wink: Rocky

URLs for the chairs at Cabelas and Campmor
(I just finished selling $3000 worth of centerfire rifles & scopes which I never used any more so I treated myself to both chairs :grin: )

Cabelas Chair
PROS:
Good looking, comfortable, and the arms make it a little easier to lower yourself into the chair, good seat & back angles.
CONS:
If I was any bigger than 6'4" x 220 lbs, then with hunting clothes on, the arms might start to be too close...they already make it difficult to reach a hand into a side pocket when seated;

Made in China, a lot of pop rivets, I wish it looked more sturdy...it's rated at 225 lbs of weight and supports me fine as a lot of our weight is in OUR legs, stretched out in front.
Seems sturdy enough, doesn't creak or groan when shifting my weight around, but I make sure I don't make a "dead weight drop" into it...lowering myself into it instead.
(I actually do that with both of them to be safe)

Four individual legs & feet which can sink a little into wet ground.

Campmor EveRest Chair
PROS:
Good looking and VERY comfortable...might be an eyelash larger, seems stronger and better made...some good welds, etc...angles are fully adjustable in seconds with the flick of a buckle on a strap and will adjust to offset slopes;
Rated at 275 lbs.
The legs are full width frame tubes instead of individual feet and resists sinking into the ground better.

CONS:
No arms to aid in lowering yourself into it, but not a biggie...just have to reach down a little further and plant a hand on the ground...really no knock-offs I can think of.

OVERALL COMPARISON SUMMARY:
I used the Cabelas chair the first two outings, then used the EveRest chair the next two, and have decided to stay with the EveRest chair as my primary.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...tx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=51-7165+&noImage=0

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&partNumber=64496&memberId=12500226

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundball...I've been hunting turkeys for going on 20 years and I always learn something new each season...generally what NOT to do!! Anyway, I just made my own gobbler decoy out of a black 5-gallon bucket and named him "Bucket Bird". BB accounted for a nice gobbler last week and I plan to take him again this Thursday for Illinois' 5th and final spring season. He brought last week's gobbler running across a 10 acre grass field, stopping once at 50 yards to display and then again at 30 yards for his final one.

Here's how BB is put together: To the outside bottom, I attached a large binder clip in to which goes a dried gobbler fan in the strutting position. On each side toward the open end goes two more large binder clips in to which goes wings in the dragging/strutting position. Across the "back" goes the dried (borax) skin and feathers from a previously taken gobbler. Across the diameter of the open end goes a notched 2X4 that is shaped and painted like a breeding gobbler. Shredded black cotton patching material serves as a beard. BB is balanced on a stake and will turn in a slight breeze. All of the parts to BB can easily be carried in the bucket and assembled in less than a minute. A few gobbles and hen yelps makes other gobblers think there's something going on that they are missing out on. Good luck,Tom

So close... and yet so far! :( Darned turkeys aren't smart, they're just lucky and seem to have great instincts to stay away from swarms of shot. Somedays is seems everytime you zig, they zag. Next time the bird is that close, give him a few soft clucks and it might just get him to make those few extra steps you need. Often, a tom with hens will seem unresponsive to calling, but if the first/only calling you do is some soft stuff in close it often seems they're willing to cover a dozen yards to investigate this new hen because it doesn't put them too far from the hens he already has. Keep at it and good luck roundball! :thumbsup:

Gonna give him a try again Friday and Saturday...he the big dude in that neighborhood and this little 4 acre field is a frequent hangout complete with strutting zone, woods around 3 sides of it...sooner or later :wink:

Knowing he's using a 4 acre field gives you pretty fair odds roundball. :hmm: I'm hunting a big boss tom that is using a +/- 50 acre field surrounded by woods. I thought I had him pretty well patterned and set up along his morning travel route. He was roosted in the same place and gobbled well, but I didn't make a call or use a decoy and the plan was an ambush. He flew down the other way and a few hours later walked in via one of the 2 roads at the opposite end of the field. That road was my other choice for this morning and seems I chose wrong. He never took a step my way when I called to him, but just walked along the far end (400+yards away) of the field and out the other top corner on another woods road. It's beautiful country in there, and I sure love hearing them gobble, but I sure want to carry that one tom out by the feet. :wink: He did the same thing for 2 days and just when I thought I had him dialed in, he reversed his pattern. This one tom is going to drive me to drink.:cursing: :haha:

I'm going to try something different tomorrow morning...I used one of the best Flambeau Jake decoys last year and filled both tags when turkeys ran out of the woods up to the Jake.
But this year, this one big Tom has balked both times he's entered the field with his harem and turned them to change directions...so I stopped using it and he came so close to getting nailed Monday.

Toms have been known to go to a red surveyor's flag or red coke can when they're on the prod and just for the heck of it, I'm going to try it tomorrow...it might be a safer alternative than a full size Jake, between attracting aggressive toms and not balking a cautious one.

Obviously a red coke can on a stick is not even in the ballpark looking anything like a Tom on the prod....UNLESS...the Tom that sees it is in an aggressive territorial frame of mind and then his mind "sees red" (pun intended)..."sees" another Tom and goes after the can.

On the other hand, a simple red can on a stick might not be very eye catching to a Tom who was not on the prod or in a territorial frame of mind...might just look like a red Cardinal on a weed and not be intimidating to a Tom that might balk at decoys.

So I'm taking a coke can tomorrow and see what kind of reaction there is if a Tom does happen to show up at the field...if he's on the prod, he might go to it (BIG mistake at 25yds :grin:), or, if he's not on the prod he might not "see it" as a Tom and stick around...might learn something, and report back.

Back