• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain down the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys 17 years old from Nova Scotia here. I know getting debris in the barrel of your rifle can be catastrophic so you need to make the sure the muzzle out of the mud and everything. I’m wondering if the same danger applies to rain? I’d like to take a walk in the woods with my muzzleloader outside of my blind but if it’s raining, does getting any water down the barrel pose the same risk? Or is the only risk getting the load wet? Thanks in advance.

There are small black rubber muzzle-covering "balloons" (sorta) that fit over your muzzle to keep water out but pose no risk of a bulged barrel supposedly. Never used them, but they would be fine for rifles. Now, shotguns might be another matter, don't know. A shotgun barrel is much more prone to bulging/bursting than a rifle. Again, I don't know.

Given enough water standing in a barrel upright, eventually enough moisture might cause problems. Certainly loading a charge in a wet barrel will contaminate your powder. Best keep the muzzle pointed down in a rain. Covers for hammer/frizzen/drum/etc. are available or easily made. Water's not a friend of black powder (except when cleaning).

Hey guys 17 years old from Nova Scotia here. I know getting debris in the barrel of your rifle can be catastrophic so you need to make the sure the muzzle out of the mud and everything. I’m wondering if the same danger applies to rain? I’d like to take a walk in the woods with my muzzleloader outside of my blind but if it’s raining, does getting any water down the barrel pose the same risk? Or is the only risk getting the load wet? Thanks in advance.
The rain down the barrel isn't going to be enough to worry about . If you drop it in a river just dump the water out!

Back