• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raising the piont of aim on GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rles221

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot my gpr yesterday ans was low about 2inches. i know i have to file the front sight but I what do i cover the filed area with all my other front sights a brass.
Rick

I shot my gpr yesterday ans was low about 2inches. i know i have to file the front sight but I what do i cover the filed area with all my other front sights a brass.
Rick

You can use cold bluing and a Q-tip to touch it up after you are done...

Instead of filing your front sight, can you simply raise the rear?

Before you start filing be sure to cut a piece of cardboard or empty plastic milk carton and cut a slot in it to fit over the sight and cover part of the barrel, because sure as heck your file is going to slip, and this will keep you from messing up the bluing on the barrel.

Thanks guys
i really dont want to screw up the gun. I havent started filing yet i want and idea about how to so I dont learn the how not to first.

Rick

That's the way to do it. Ask three times, measure twice, cut once.

When you do get to it, use a fine file (I use a fine, single-cut Grobet broadhead sharpening file) and do a tiny amount at a time. Shoot several three-shot groups, then switch to teeny amounts as I get close. Do your best to keep the file level with the rear sight plane.

Metal doesn't grow back.

I assume you raised the rear sight as far as it would go. If so, you could try one of Lyman's peep sights. Filing just seems so final.
:m2c:

I had to file the front sight on my GPR, and honestly, I still need to file some more, because it hits dead on now at 50 yards, but the rear sight is still all the way up. I need to get it down so the rear sight is somewhere in the middle.

They make the front blade too high on these guns and expect them to be filed... not sure why, but I've talked to a LOT of GPR folks who had to file theirs. It's just part of owning one.

I touched mine up with BC Perma Blue and a Q-tip, just like Musketman suggested. Honestly, I found that the sight is so hard, that filing wasn't cutting it nearly fast enough, and ended up taking a grinding wheel to it. It still came off so slowly that it wasn't a problem... you just gotta be a bit more careful. Mine was shooting 6-8" low, which is quite a bit more than yours is, so I had a bit more metal to remove as well...

Good luck, just take it slow and easy, and shoot it a lot between filings. Like was said earlier, metal won't grow back.

Remove the barrel from the stock. Get two panes of glass and tape sandpaper onto one pane. Tape the two pieces of glass to a smooth surface. The second peice that doesn't have the sandpaper should be taped around where the rear sight blade is (Make sure your blade doesn't have a spring or tape it down so it doesn't bounce). What you're going to do is to flip the barrel upside down and run the front sight over the sandpaper. By having the rear pane of glass which is of the same height, you ensure that your push is not canted. Using this technique ensures that the material removed from the front sight is level. We used this technique for raising the point of aim on revolvers.

My GPR came with a fixed buckhorn rear sight, so raising it was not an option. Like I suspect all GPR's mine shot too low. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to take off a piece, and then used a file to fine tune it...there was a lot of material to come off...Hank

I took a good 1/8" or so off my GPR front sight. My rear sight is a primitive fixed sight from TOW. Use the bluing stuff that comes in a tube at any gunshop, and a q-tip, as mentioned above to fix the area. Even if you take too much, a new front blade for a GPR has to be pretty easy to get. Go slow though, I took mine to a range, and probably spent a good 2 or 3 hours, as I shot some, filed some, shot some, filed some.... Worked out great though, the rifle is a lot more fun to shoot now.

Good luck, Jeff

I upgraded to the Lyman "hunting sights combo" for better visibility in the woods; adjustable rear and a front post sight with white bead. With 100 grain hunting charge its about 2" high at 50 yards (as Stumpkiller recommended to be able to hold dead-on to 100 yards). Only about $18.00!

From what I've read during the last year and 1/2 on this forum, if you use the fixed sight on your GPR, it will shoot low until you file down the front sight.
They all seem to do it.

On the positive side, it gives you a real good excuse to go to the range and shoot. :)

Thanks for all the hepl with this. I think ill stay with the sights that came on it. The wife agreed to let me buy a 32. or 36 cal. squirrel rifle this summer so the less i spend the better.
Thaks again
Rick

Ric, do you all still have that late January-beginning of Feb muzzleloader squirrel season? In my last few years in NJ it was about the only time I went into the woods..Hank

Hank
They still have it but now thay mix it with permit shotgun, in some zones. They also put the bulk of BP over christmas when school is out. I use my Flints for all seasons except permit shotgun, Witch I found out from a very nice F@G officer that was not legal in this state.

Latest posts

Back