• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod Striping??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoetn

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen / done a ramrod striped like the one in the pics? It appears to be burned. I took the pics out of a 1970 Gun Digest but it didn’t go into detail on the process used. It was done on a Ky long rifle and looked pretty cool when completed
IMG_4217.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpeg
    IMG_4217.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
There are lots of threads on this topic (try doing a search ;) ) with as many different methods of striping as there are threads....

There's some argument on how historically accurate a striped ramrod is. I'm not a huge fan, but others really like how they look.

There are lots of threads on this topic (try doing a search ;) ) with as many different methods of striping as there are threads....

There's some argument on how historically accurate a striped ramrod is. I'm not a huge fan, but others really like how they look.

Thank you!! I’ve never seen another like it and figured it would an obscure oddity. I will surely do a search though.

Yes, I did one on my son's rifle, which I built around 1980. I did it with a propane torch. I have never done another one, and I don't like the look now.
Picture 8-12-05 002.jpg

Yes very easy to do with a propane torch. I spaced mine 1 inch apart with blue masking tape. Looks better if you space them irregularly, Willey Nelly style. Hang the rod in the middle of a room so you can go around it. The masking tape will burn some put the image will already be there. Clean up with steel wool and apply stain......Good Luck Labrat

I just free-handed it. I supported it on the vise and just turned it while burning it with the torch.

If you like it go for it.

My take is that striping makes the ramrod the focal point of a gun because your eye is drawn to it, I make the ramrod color match the color of the stock so it disappears under the gun and isn't the focal point.

I didn't notice this pre-carve had such a crocked ramrod groove and hole until I was well along with the build, the P place strikes again. The ramrod color is what I go for.

ramrod groove.JPG

Spiral it with the blue tape and use Fiebings dark brown leather dye. I thought the consensus was that the originals weren't burned on.

I just free-handed it. I supported it on the vise and just turned it while burning it with the torch.
I use to do it until I got lazy? Maybe I should have said lazier? LOL!
It works well . I used a good quality electricians tape 3M to be exact to get a perfect stripe! Worked like a charm!

I like the look but it only seems to have been a thing on southern rifles. So I have it only on my SMR
However…. I’ve only seen it in historic photo back to the 1930s, and no one can say when it was applied

I did it once on a cheap Hawken style. Looked good but I don't think I would want to call attention to the rod on a really nice longrifle.

I did it once on a cheap Hawken style. Looked good but I don't think I would want to call attention to the rod on a really nice longrifle.
I had only ever seen it in this one book. When I was growing up in the 70s it looked cool. The first gun I bought for myself was an CVA St. Louis Hawken. As I moved into my pistol and ‘black rifle’ phase I traded that gun. Of course, I wish I had it back now. Now as I’m dabbling back into the BP world, I cannot believe the variety and popularity that black powder firearms have to offer. After seeing some of y’all’s nice rifles in color, I can see how it might be distracting if done on a really nice rifle.

It's all for fun, so if a man likes a striped ramrod, hand-crafted (what most of the originals I've had over the years), or whatever turns his crank - Go for it but don't expect every prospective buyer to share the enthusiasm. Easier to sell mass-produced M/L's as close to original as possible. Just please, please do not used pine dowels from Home Depot for sooner rather than later they will break and someone could get hurt.

Made a stripy one years ago for a range rod just for fun and to eliminate confusion at the loading bench. Went back to steel with a muzzle protector.

At the range where I'm gonna be loading and shooting numerous times I use a dowel rod for loading. The end contacting the ball is concave, a simple procedure with a Dremel or pocket knife. I even stained and sealed it to keep the wood from deteriorating. I've used the same down for years. Ramrods are for hunting or anytime you don't want to carry an extra rod. For cleaning at the range between shots I use a steel range rod with a plastic muzzle protector. That works well for me.

Back