• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods - Wood vs Fiberglass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhorse1955

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Years ago when I first started in this hobby I read a lot of horror stories about broken wooden ramrods and the resulting injuries. :eek:

When I purchased my 10ga SxS I replaced the ramrod with a fiberglass one. What kind of ramrod do you prefer? If you prefer wood, what type of wood do you prefer for strength? :hmm:

At the range, shooting bench or trap line, I use a steel rod with bore guide. I always use a bore guide when not hunting. Actually though for the shotguns I do use a fiberglass rod, with bore guide, when dove hunting. I know it is not PC, but it hangs at my side in a golf club tube that they use to but golf clubs in there bag.I don't have a ram rod in the gun, because allot of shooting can dislodge that ram rod stop, that is at the muzzle of the barrel. Now if I am just jump shooting rabbits, I will probably use the wooden rod that is under the barrels. I have never had a problem with a wooden rod though in a shotgun.

Since 1976 I've only used metal (muskets), the impregnated wood T/C used to use and hickory.

A fiberglass ramrod is right down there with scopes and synthetic stocks for a muzzleloader in my view.

If you're forcing so hard you're breaking rammers then something is wrong in your loading technique, not with the wood. I don't use a range rod and I've not broken a rod . . . ever.

Knock wood.

Stumpy, do you do anything to "recondition" your wooden rods? How often, what do you use, etc, etc?

Hickory.....I've broken 2 "unbreakable" rods. I've only broken one hickory rod. Works for me.

For loading in the woods the gun loads with what it was born with unless that rod has be damaged some how. On the range I use an aluminum rod threaded both ends. I have a T-handle on one end and a "super jag" on the other. I feel it gives the stock rods a break and gives them more life in the woods.

Years ago when I first started in this hobby I read a lot of horror stories about broken wooden ramrods and the resulting injuries.

What kind of ramrod do you prefer?

I heard those stories too, and since TC's big plant fire in the early 90's, all their wooden rods since then are hardware store dowl junk...I don't even try to use them...I just replace them with brass ones...mostly solid brass, a couple lighter tubular brass for the occasional still hunt, squirrel hunting.

For the range, I use polymer covered fiberglass rods so I don't have to bother with muzzle guides.

Something everyone who owns a fiberglas ramrod should try. Take your gun apart, and where it won't show, rub the fiberglas rod back and forth in one spot about twenty times. Then, as you are looking at the bright spot it wore in those few strikes, ask yourself. Do I really want to put that in my barrel? If you do, definitely use a muzzle protector. You can saw a barrel in half in a short time with fiberglas.

I use range rods at the range. For the longer barrels I have a stainless steel rod with a muzzle protector. For the shorter rifles I built a range rod using 7/16" hickory cut long enough to work on a 36" barrel and uses a muzzle protector.

For hunting and primative matches I use the wooden rod in the rifle. I've had two or three break over the years, usually when I wasn't watching what I was doing and gripped to high or put lateral stress on the rod. My wife just had the rod break on her Seneca. That was the original rod on a gun that is about 15 years old. Guess it just got old and died.

For hunting I always use one of the unbreakable "rubber rods" as I call them and this is what I make my kids use just for safty. For Period events I use a Hickory rod that has been soaked in lamp oil for about a year. This will make the rod more flexible and more durable. But you still want to inspect the rod regularly for splinters or cracks. If it has any defects through it away and get a new one. I have a Piece of PVC pipe with a cap glued to one end and a loose cap on the other that I keep a rod soaking in all the time so it is ready when I need it.

Years ago I replaced the wood ramrod on my Navy Arms Buffalo hunter with a fiberglass one. The wooden one was so skinny in relation to the 58 caliber bore I just didn't want to trust it out in the field, hence the fiber glass rod.
All my other muzzleloaders have wooden ramrods for field use.
At the range I use the "unbreakable" nylon rods. More shots fired, more fouling buildup, stronger rod preferred.

Years ago I replaced the wood ramrod on my Navy Arms Buffalo hunter with a fiberglass one. The wooden one was so skinny in relation to the 58 caliber bore I just didn't want to trust it out in the field, hence the fiber glass rod.
All my other muzzleloaders have wooden ramrods for field use.
At the range I use the "unbreakable" nylon rods. More shots fired, more fouling buildup, stronger rod preferred.

I'm rough on rods...always in a hurry...have had two of the black synthetic super flexibile "unbreakable" rods snap right at the attachment end using my full length reach up and thrust down motions...so I personally won't trust going into the woods with one, knowing how I use them.

Guess that's why I like the solids so much...plus other benefits with solid rods is that the threads are tapped directly into the rod shaft so there's no 'ends' to pull loose...they're so strong/rigid, there's no give or wobble...they just drive the ball straight down with one smooth stroke

Stumpy, do you do anything to "recondition" your wooden rods? How often, what do you use, etc, etc?

Yes. I use them for cleaning and the soaps & alcohol take a toll.

I rub the rod with alcohol soaked on a cloth. Then I wipe it with Laurel Mountain stain (either Cherry or Walnut, depending on the gun). I then rub it a bit of tung oil. Then, after that dries overnight, I buff and then wipe on a heavy coat of paste wax and rub that well in (grab the rammer through a cotton rag and run it up and down so the heat works the wax in). I clean 'em good maybe once a year and wax them maybe every couple months. When they start to look "dull".

I leave a couple full length (48") with 8-32 and 10-32 tips so I have a cleaning rod to use with hot, soapy water at home.

I've never tried the soaking in kerosene method I've heard some use. I make spare rods (if you have one you'll never need one) that I use for cleaning and carry in the car "just in case". For these: I work it to shape (one of my rifles takes a full-length tapered rod) and use a propane torch to burn off the hickory "wiskers" (not enough to char the wood, just darken it slightly). I then rub wood ash in to darken the pores and rub stain in with a rag. Another pass with the torch, then I burnish it with a piece of antler (or the shaft of a screwdriver), stain again, burnish, and finally a couple coats of an oil stock finish (B.C. Tru-Oil or tung oil). I then wax it as above.

I taper my cedar arrows, so I have the fine spoke-shave/plane and tapering jig for that.

When choosing a rammer I order a couple at a time or select from the hickory stock carefully. About 50% of the doweled hickory "out there" is useless as rammers. Grain run-out all over. It doesn't matter if it is crooked (crooked ones stay put in the thimbles), so long as the grain is good. The torch further helps to raise the whiskers that might later form "meat-hooks" if they weren't removed. I had a cedar arrow snap along a grain arc and pierce my left hand long ago. I've got no desire to repeat that.

Wood is fine for looks and cleaning. But using one for loading or rough use will sooner or later result in a broken rod.

After driving a piece of jagged hickory into the side of my hand many years ago resulting in several stiches, I switched to brass.

I typically store a wooden rod in the thimbles (if I have not changed to brass rods) and always use a heavy brass range rod at the range and always brass for cleaning.

Tahquamenon i agree 100 %. check the thread on who has wooden ramrod scars. i'm not the only one. thats why i use brass with a muzzle guide. :m2c:

For targets, rock killing and such, depending upon the caliber or gauge, I use 48" long, 1/2" or 5/8" diameter hickory wiping sticks. Only use hickory RR for hunting.

Tahquamenon i agree 100 %. check the thread on who has wooden ramrod scars. i'm not the only one. thats why i use brass with a muzzle guide. :m2c:

Where would one find a brass ramrod? The only ones I've found are those ones with a swiveling T handle.

log cabin sells a nice brass range rod and also some shorter ones. i'm sure somebody else could jump in with other suppliers

Latest posts

Back