• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the best store bought bag you have used. It seems I always have too much in my bag.

Hey, Donald, as you may have noticed, my favorite range bag is a .50 cal. ammo can. I have also found that if I don't cull from time to time I almost get a hernia from carrying it from my car to the loading bench. However, the range box that I built several years ago has to be left in the "mother ship" unless someone brings a mule to drag it to the loading bench. But, if I left it at home, I can guarantee that I would need the one item that was in it and it would be the very thing that no one else would have. Think nipple, spring or other doo-hicky unique to my rifle.

Hope to see you next Saturday.

Bill

Here ya go.

I'm not kidding! I know a guy that goes to the range with lots of guns and gear, and has to pack it some distance most days. That's what he uses with the addition of a gun rack.

Not packing so much? Downsize your container to match the gear you're packing, but factor that against how much weight and bulk you pack, and how far you have to pack it.

I have one made out of a pull around golf caddy with a 4 gallon jug container on the bottom. This allows me to carry three rifles a spotting scope and a PVC cleaning and loading rod carrier in one trip. For a range bag the ones MIDWAY carry are reasonably priced and well made. When loader with 50,54and 58 caliber balls and the fixing it gets pretty heavy. Geo. T.

Hey Bill, I can't believe it's been a month already. I hope to be there. Not really looking for a buggy just a nice bag, but a trailer might be easier, if I could get enough people to load and unload it.

Great idea if you have a truck or trailer to carry it in but I have only the family sedan. I have seen several things like this at Friendship.

Get the ''outers cleaning kit'' in wood box has gun rest drawer and lots of room
Wood box cleaning supplies was around $25 what
Although i keep it simple i never ran out of room i couldnt use i gave to the brass shooters and made some new buddies atthe range

seems I have a range bag for every cal I own. Most are tackle bags or boxes, but I picked up one of these and love it, A bit pricey but the only ML specific bag I have BP range bag

I use the biggest plastic tool box I could find for under $50.00... Room for can'S of powder and EVERYTHING else....

my fave range box ...

D0THHbU.jpg

I have several heavy canvas tool bags from Harbor Freight. I use them for my modern guns but they should work for anything. They have a large main area and a lot of pockets around the outside. I have mags, tools and just stuff that I keep in them and add ammo and pistols as needed.

well, i suppose that most of us will admit to the fishing box thing at the beginning... if you're all methodical (not a bit like me) you may want to keep track of how often you use stuff... i knew a fellow who dated stuff (he was a professional photographer, and whenever he used a piece of gear- a lens or whatever- he jotted down the item and he date, and if it went unused for more than eight months, he got rid of it)...

at any rate, you'll find the fishing tackle box full of junk you don't use, and after the passage of time, you will buy a copy of T.C. Albert's book
(here) http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/49/1/BOOK-R18-CHP
and then you can make the perfect container for your stuff.

by way of disclaimer, i will disavow any knowledge of your new addiction to making pouches: there's no twelve step program - just feed the monkey and put leather supply places on your "favorites" section of whatever search engine you use...

bwahahaha ... another one turned to the dark side...

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
MTM makes a plastic muzzle loading box. I have several to store my extra stuff and one for the range and one for cleaning supplies.

If you are still looking for a range bag...I just got this at www.sportsmansguide.com I LOVE it and it is a "dry box" with O ring sealing system. Can't beat the price.

MTM® Muzzleloader Dry BoxBuyer's Club
$17.09
Non-Member $18.99

Last edited by a moderator:
In a couple of years you will find like I have that every thing for a days shooting can fit and be carried in a period display or carry box , this goes for any pistol or revolver . :) Any thing needed for a long arm will fit into a shooting pouch ,possibles bag or cartridge box , shot gun will need a couple of extras but can still be carried on the body , if your range won't allow loading off the body then just place your gear on one of the tables behind the line .It's no biggie .

Wattsy said:
I use the biggest plastic tool box I could find for under $50.00... Room for can'S of powder and EVERYTHING else....

Same here, I call it my "Range box" got one that will dang near hold everything minus the powder, that goes in an old ammo can.

Back