• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range of a .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a .45 T/C Hawken and took it to the range on Saturday. It shot great. I shot 90 gr. of 777 at 50m and 100 yard targets. My question is, does the .45 have enough umph at 100 yds to be effective on deer sized game? I plan to use this rifle to hunt deer here in MO but also want to take it West to hunt antelope.

TH

I can't tell you if it has enough power at 100 yards but it does have plenty at 75 yards with a well placed ball. I never used it on an animal past about 75 yards. Most were around 50 yards.

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders, 30+ years ago, I used a .45 Dixie for mule deer and antelope. As I remember I was using a .440 RB with 65 grains of 3F. One antelope ran about 25 yards after being hit the rest fell right down when hit. On both type animals the ball went through the chest and out the other side at that range. With your 90 grain load it should do alright at 100 yards if you hit them through the lungs and heart.

What projectile?

Roundball...IMO not a 100 yard killer.

Conical...Yes. 100 yards and beyond as long as you can hit what you're aiming at.

HD

tryinhard said:
I bought a .45 T/C Hawken and took it to the range on Saturday. It shot great. I shot 90 gr. of 777 at 50m and 100 yard targets. My question is, does the .45 have enough umph at 100 yds to be effective on deer sized game? I plan to use this rifle to hunt deer here in MO but also want to take it West to hunt antelope.

TH

45 will kill deer and antelope to 100 with no problem. *Shot placement* is the key.
Do not expect them to drop at the shot 90%+ travel 40 yards or more no matter what they are shot with if the spine is not shocked or struck.
In the west you are better off with a 50-54 since getting shot at antelope under 100 can be tough and a good shot can use 50-54 to 120 or so.
"Dropping at the shot"... The 25-06, for example, with 87-100 gr drops them (Mule deer antelope) pretty reliably but you generally loose at least 25% of the meat to bloodshot.

I would recommend you clean your barrel carefully with warm/hot tap water, lots of it, for 15-20 minutes and then order some real BP.
If you use the "put the breech in a bucket" method change the water 2-3 times.
90grs is probably too much for a 45.
Heavy charges of powder, over about 70 grains of FFFG BP will not increase killing power. Killing power is determined by ball size, not velocity. Velocity increases just make it shoot flatter.

Dan

tryinhard said:

TH
The .45cal happens to be one of my very favorites, and have several T/C Hawkens in that caliber, both 1:48" and 1:66" twist...and I use big game loads for big game...ie: 90grns Goex 3F, Oxyoke wad, .018" pillow ticking and Hornady .440"...but in spite of that, IMO they do have some limitations.

I killed a standing broadside buck at a mere 60yds, with a well placed heart shot from a pretty solid sitting position. But even with a 90grn powder charge, the ball hit a rib going in and stopped bulging the hide on the far side...did not pass through...the energy at almost twice that distance would be far less.
I personally decided I would not use the .45cal RB as a general purpose hunting rifle if I was hunting a place where I might be tempted with a big buck beyond about 75yds...and only carry it when I know 50-60yds would be the max I could even see...then the shot needs to be pretty surgical.

Not saying a .440 won't kill a deer at 100yds...and we all know deer have been killed with a .22...just answering your question, particularly if you'll be hunting where longer distances might be common place.

From my personal experience my recommendation would be that you consider T/C's .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunter (not maxi-ball)...they're devastating on deer and were always very accurate in my T/C 1:48" barrels at 100yds, udsing either 90 or 100grns of FFg (2F), Oxyoke wad, and the maxi...the extra weight carries more energy further, etc

TH, I agree with Huntin Dawg but if you're going to hunt with this gun, especially out west, you have to assume a bow hunter's mentality. You have to sneak and creep. The only diff is that bowhunting max yds is 40 to 50 and you can extend that by 25 or 30 yds. Like the other guys said, it depends on load and shot placement. :wink:

I agree with others, as with most anything shot placement is critical especially at longer ranges.

The .45 will, and has harvested game for many moons!

Longer ranges mean more time for wind and other factors to effect trajectory.

A well placed shot with a .32 can take down an elephant!

The longest ML shot I ever took on a deer was with a .45 @ 116 yards.

Now for all the disclaimers:

• I was young, and nowadays think it was both stupid and unethical
    The deer was perfectly still
    It was quartering away
    I was single and had little to do with my free time aside from shooting
    The wind was nonexistent
    The range was known to +/- 3'
    I had substantial practice at this range
    I had supreme confidence in rifle and load
That being said, the PRB entered the deer at the base of the rib cage, tore a terrible wound channel through the thoracic cavity and stopped against the hide on the off-side shoulder/chest area. The deer bounded about 30 yards, turned to look back at whatever had happened and fell over on its side. A few kicks and it was over.

For shooters who DO NOT shoot often enough to have the confidence of your youth, a .45 caliber rifle recoils light enough to allow them to place a shot where it needs to go, and they are more likely to take their time, and make sure the shot they take hits that correct spot, because the ball does not have a lot of weight to compensate for a poor hit location.

I also would not want to take a shot at a deer at 100 yds.+ with a .45 cal. rifle. However, I know guns that are so accurate, that I would not hesitate to take such a shot if I had to do so. I know I can place the ball exactly where I need it to go at those ranges, and I know the gun will do it.

I have been fortunate to have deer come inside 50 yards for me to shoot, in the heavy river bottom country I hunt. I have occasionally seen deer- way over there--- and sometimes even way over there in the trees, but they rarely present any kind of shot considering all the intervening trees and brush. A 50 yard shot is a long shot, even when I cut shooting lanes in the brush and trim back tree branches to clear a line for a shot.

Then there is Murphy: I once went out to my stand before daylight, and could not see a deal limb that had fallen from the upper branches of a tree during the night. When daylight broke, I had a nice buck walk into a shooting lane I had created, and RIGHT BEHIND THAT hanging Tree Limb. I never did get a shot at him. They call it hunting, not " Gettin'. I am sure I am not the only deer hunter who has been visited by " Murphy " in the woods.

I have my nephews .45 set up for round balls right now. 75 yards is where i would like to keep him. Switching over the conical in the 225-275gr area, i will let him shoot out to 150 yards.

I do hope my disclaimers were caught and fully appreciated by all. I would never take such a shot as that today, knowing all I know about Murphy, and would not condone such folly. That was one of those rare and seemingly perfect shots.

Proof enough for me, though, that a .45 PRB will do the job at 116 yards IF everything goes right.

A nationally-acclaimed hunter and writer (who lives in the West) once said, "with the round-ball, the .45 is too light for deer. With a maxi-ball, it's adequate for elk." In my neck of the woods (Iowa) a fellow hunter has killed five deer with the .45 and round ball. Trouble is, when he got to the end of each lengthy blood trail, every deer was being field-dressed by other hunters. Yet he still considers the .45 "big enough for deer." Go figure.

I would say that if you live West of the Mississippi, don't use that .45 if you have any doubt. If you live East of the Mississippi, and like the .45, go ahead and use it!Those Western deer are so much harder to kill! :rotf: :haha: :blah: That 125 grain lead ball just does not retain enough energy out at 100 yards to insure that it will punch through a deer's chest, no matter what the MV is.

Seriously, killing deer is always about shot placement. If you put a .45 cal. RB in the heart, or in the spine of a deer, its going to die very quickly. Just try to keep the range under 100 yds.

If you live and hunt in an area where you have problems with deer thieves, then call out the police and track them down. Its almost always the same small group of people who do that sort of thing, and there are a lot more honest hunters than these bums. If they see a mob of hunters- all as armed as they are- coming at them over a stolen deer, they are going to heading for the hills quick.

When my friend's deer was stolen, and I found out about it, a hour or so later, I asked him why he didn't immediately walk down the trail calling for help from all the other hunters on the farm? We were basically spaced out within earshot of each other, and could have easily raise the "Hew and Cry" and had his posse all ready within minutes. Instead, he went back to camp and kicked the walls of the hut where he was staying.

When I killed my first deer, I put a business card under its tongue, before I left to go put my gun away, and find help to haul her out of that deep ravine. I figured that if someone else tried to claim the deer, they would not be looking in its mouth, and I would have "proof" that I killed the deer. I also didn't gut it before I came back, so that if someone did try to steal it, they would have a lot more hard work to do. It took an hour to go out to my car, find help, and return.

I understood the limits of the .45 when I chose a caliber for my deer rifle. I chose a .50 caliber barrel, instead, after shooting the .45 for 3 years. I knew I could kill deer inside 50 yds, but I didn't like the idea of having to use one to shoot a deer at 100 yds, or beyond. I had shot my .45 enough on windy days to know how much that ball is moved around with any kind of breeze at all.

Being a bit conservative, I would call the .45 PRB a 75 yard deer round. The .40 PRB is a .50 yard Deer round. I think the .50 PRB is a legitimate 100 yard deer round, and the .54 extends that range to 125 yards. At this point, your ability to shoot iron sights, and the size of the front sight against a deer begins to limit the degree of accuracy you have at longer ranges, even though a .58, or .62, or .69 caliber rifle will kill at longer ranges. You would have to hunt open areas, on sunny days, where you could use a rest of some kind, and even then, wind conditions might make it unlikely to hit a deer at 150 yards or further, with any of these rounds. The slower, and larger the caliber of ball is, the more affect winds will have on moving it off POA.

Now, I have been only talking about PRBs up until now. If you use conicals( bullets) in ML rifles, everything changes, dramatically. The wind can still move bullets off POA, but a spinning conical resists wind pressure better than a round ball. Shooting Conicals, a .40 caliber rifle becomes a 100 yard deer round. The .45 will become a 150 yard deer round. But at that point, recoil, and the larger trajectory of the .50 and larger calibers makes them only marginally better, using Iron Sights, at ranges over 150 yards. That .45 conical will take Elk, as will the .50 caliber bullets, and anything larger, at 100 yards and further.

If someone wants to put a scope sight on a rifle, and take shots at deer at 200 yards and beyond, then I highly recommend that they hunt the normal gun season, using a modern breechloading rifle, in some good deer cartridge caliber. Putting a scope on a muzzle loader is-- if I can steal a line-- like putting an elevator in an outhouse: It just doesn't fit!

I am not opposed to shooters using scopes if their eyesight is damaged, or limited by disease. We can make exceptions to general rules and let older hunters who are responsible for keeping ML hunting alive, and who fought to get special ML seasons, to participate a few more years by helping them overcome vision problems by using a scoped rifle in the ML seasons. The Exception to the General Rule is owed these hunters out of respect for all they have done to make modern ML deer seasons possible.

I do oppose allowing all hunters to use MLers with scopes, in a muzzle loading season. They can use those guns in the regular gun season, and compete with other hunters who shoot similarly equipped guns. If all the states limited ML season shooters to using iron sights, and a PRB only, ( except shooters with recognized handicaps) I believe the present controversy about people using the zip guns would be quickly OVER. At one time-- and perhaps even today-- Connecticutt required smooth bore muskets, Flint only, to be used in its ML season. Wouldn't that rule put a WHOA in the "giddy-up" of the zip gun industry???? Some people might actually have to get out and learn how to HUNT!

Thank you all. You guys have opened my eyes to the fact that even though I can and will hit a target accuratly at 100 yds I will limit myself to shooting game inside of 75 yds. Thank you very much for you info and input. I do ONLY shoot a PRB. I just like it and hope to be casting my own balls before long.

TH

CZMark said:
Just curious, do you remember how big that deer was?

I think dressed weight was just over 100 lbs, like 110/115, and it was a doe. An average adult doe for the area I was hunting in.

I distinctly remember that by the time I dragged it the four miles back to the Jeep, I was firmly convinced I would be arrested for having no elk tag. :haha:

Latest posts

Back