• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report and Advice Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a lefty and my right wrist has been sprayed by hot stuff coming from the caps
Yeah, you'll have that. Wear long sleeves and a glove. But, this is also minimized by the square meeting of the hammer and nipple making a tighter seal.
If the caps are tight on the nipple that can slow the hammer before impact on the nipple. You can see the different diameters of the nipples in the pix above. Buy a larger cap after you use those up. This also not so much a problem with a strong main spring.

Since the gun was shot some by the previous owner, then let to lie around; I bet the lock has some goo built up in it, slowing it down. Before tearing it apart try a Soak in hot water with a good shot of ammonia in it. The hot water takes care of powder residue the ammonia melts old grease and oil. Blow it out with your compressor to dry it, or computer dust-off if that's all you got. Immediately put 1/2 drop only of good gun oil on the pivot points, one full drop behind the hammer, 1/2 drop on the tip of the main spring where it meets the tumbler. You don't want to slobber the thing up. There's a little flippy-dippy thing called the "fly" that is about the size and shape of 2 fleas copulating that should remain DRY. It is what selects half-cock...or cock. You don't want to lose that, that is why I'm not advising you to take it apart right now.

OK, so you are bold enough to go ahead and take it apart are you? 3 cautions, it's under a LOT of spring pressure, do NOT lose the fly, do NOT try to draw the hammer back onto the shaft with the screw; use a C-clamp or visegrips. Since it is apart; on the tumbler shaft there are parting lines where it was cast, gently stone off the lines with a small pocket sharpening stone or the flat of a diamond hook sharpener. Use a small visegrips to relieve some of the pressure of the main-spring BUT squeeze it too much and you break it. Just take a touch of pressure off the tumbler. This can be difficult to coordinate holding off that pressure and driving the tumbler shaft out of the hammer (draw that positioning of hammer/tumbler). That's about all I can do without actually doing it for you.

So study it, draw it. Study it again, observe position of the cock notch and hammer head for reassembly. And don't lose the fly.

I have a CVA in .50. The only two times I ever had ignition problems were when I was shooting 777 and when I was using the factory nipple.

I bet if you change nipples to something like a Spitfire (thats what I use) your misfires will go away.

I have never had a misfire using Goex ff and the Spitfire nipple. Of course I have probably just jinxed myself. :grin:
Bob

he's right

DON'T LOSE THE FLY ( or 'flye' depending on how you spell it ... never cud spel for a $%^&)

at first, please take whatever i tell you with a big grain of salt (in the two pound range)... i only shoot percussion when i have to- it's a flint thing, but if you want to shoot caps, that's your business and i'll defend to the death your God- given right to do so (there, i just broke the 'no politics' and the 'no religion' rule in one phrase, but that's also a tirade for another day)

so, free advice from a rock banger:

(1) square up the nipple and the hammer before you tinker with anything else. if for no other reason than it's the easiest and least risky thing to do, it's also the most likely to work.

(2) beware of the random pontifications of geezers (such as myself) that the mainspring is too weak, the widget is too small, or the snake oil resiviour suffers a bingo fuel light. be skeptical: there are more old wives' tales in muzzleoading than in just about anything else with the possible exception of french cooking. all the more reason to go with the easiest and most low risk solution first. so, if you bung up a nipple, you're not out too much- the thing was going to wear out anyway, and if you don't have a few spares lying about, you should. mess up the drum, and you're in for an expensive time.

(3) i would avoid taking the lock apart unless you have a proper main spring vise. they're available from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun Works, or a bunch of other suppliers. If you use a visegrip, you run the substantial risk of putting small sratches in the surface of the main spring, which may lead to breakage. this will, of course, put your rifle out of commission until the spring can be replaced. Murphy's law being what it is, this will happen as the Boone & Crocket buck turns broadside to you at a range of ten feet. To disassemble the lock, remove it from the stock, clean the outside and put the lock on full cock. then position the mainspring vise so that there is moderate compression on the spring (you don't need to 'reef it down-' you'll see why in a minute). When the vise is on the spring, trip the sear and gently lower the hammer. As you do so, the compression of the spring will be taken up by the vise, and the hammer will no longer under tension, and you can disassemble the mechanism. The only other spring you'll need to worry about is the trigger spring (this pushes the trigger bar into the sear) and this isn't a very strong or very big spring, so be careful that it doesn't launch itself into the next county, never to be seen again.

(4) do all this disassembly business over a piece of poster board or construction paper. (newspaper always hides the little parts, so i don't use it.) do it, of course, on a smooth flat surface, and do it without the usual distractions: TV, hookah pipe, excess beer (if such is possible) etc. You will need proper screwdriver(s) which you should have anyway. If you don't have one, shame shame shame on you- now don't be a cheapskate and go fetch one. If it's any comfort, a good screwdriver will last a lifetime with proper care, which makes the purchase price on a per use basis about a tenth of a cent.

(5) the advice about taking pictures or making drawings as you go is goo, and i wish i'd done that the first few times i took a lock apart. some of these gadgets are very tricky, and it's very easy to put something in wrong ways 'round, only to have the whole thing jam up later. (don't ask me how i know.)

(6) the patch thing seems to settle, and i suspect that after a hundred or so shots, your patches will be whole and clean, your groups will tighten, and cleaning will be easier. Clean, by the way with warm (not hot) soapy water and a flush out widget with a bore jag, followed by dry patches followed by lube/preservative - Ballistol, or some oil of your choice. Be sure to clean the oil out of the bore before you shoot- i use rubbing alcohol). I suspect that you'll get to the point where you will use pillow ticking or something similar. You'll be one of those really eccentric fellows at the dry goods store looking at the bolts of linen and pillow ticking and fooling with a micrometer. To really complete the effect, it helps if you mumble to yourself; arcane stuff about ballistic coefficients and such. Wear either really nice or really ratty clothes, and if you smell of Hoppes #9, so much the better. They might see right through this however. When i did it, the lady at the counter looked me dead in the eye and said (so that everyone in the store could hear), "You're one of those muzzle loading guys, aren't you?" (Being from Vermont, I was able to say "Ayup." and then shut up, which always seems to slam them shut.) Anyway: when you go to the drygoods store, if you have a micrometer, remember that there will be a bit of give in the fabric, and remember that there will be sizing in the fabric, and remember that you MUST use 'natural' i.e. non- synthetic fabrics. Pillow ticking is popular because the weave is very tight (originally to keep the small shafts of the feather stuffing from poking you in the face as you slept), an because it usually comes in a more or less appropriate thickness. The colors of the striping once probably meant something, but now they don't seem to have any significance any more. You can also use muslin (which is all cotton, usually- but check to make sure: the contents are on the edge of the bolt) and if you're shooting a large bore smoothie, you can use cotton canvas (again: check the edge of the bolt, it will say if it's all cotton or a blend, and if it's fire retardant, in which case, don't buy it for patching material). If you use a synthetic fiber or a blend, you will get an horrific coating of melted crud in you bore. It will be a %^&!!! to remove. You will swear mightily,
:cursing:
and you will use time which might otherwise have been better spent. Don't ask me how i know. :redface: :redface: :redface:
Oops- i almost forgot, be sure to wash the material before you cut it, the sizing will also make a mess of you bore and will cause the fabric to resist the uptake of the lube, which is, after all, the object of the exercise.

Which brings us to lube. What i use might or might not work for you, so just 'cause i do something doesn't make it right for you. lubes, like anything else, are subject to the vagaries of humidity and temperature ...

As regards the lube you will use, i would check out Stumpie's formulae, which cover just about all the possible conditions. You will hear stories of shooters who go for hundreds of shots, no thousands of shots, if they use Brand-X lube, and their groups will tighten, and their dog will come home, and their Mom will get out of prison, and the repo man will bring back their pick up truck, and the bank will stop forclosure on their trailer, and their girlfriend will take them back ... you get the idea ...

grain of salt ... ten pound block

check out a few of the recipies and see what works best for you in your conditions and in your part of the forest.

hope this helps... sorry if i rambled on but it's pouring rain and i'm trying to stall before i have to feed the goats, who will tell me that not only am i late but that it's pouring rain and what do i intend to do about it (inexplicably, the weather is all my fault, at least in the minds of the goats).

Best of luck, and

Make good smoke!

bilder said:
I also noticed something else. I am a lefty and my right wrist has been sprayed by hot stuff coming from the caps every now and then. Got some fine little burn marks to prove it. Feels like little bug bites when it happens.

I'm a lefty too, and I have the same issue with any and all drum bolsters, no matter who made the gun. It's an easy fix with a flash cup, but lotsa guys get on their high horse about using them. As-is when you get them, yeah, they're too high and interfere with capping. But luckily for you and me they're made of brass and are easy to file down. After filing mine aren't quite as tall as the nipple and no probs with capping.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I now have several options to go through.

Think I will first buy an extra nipple or two since they are cheap. Will be nice to have a spare in case I mess up the factory nipple if and when I start to fiddle with it.

CVA uses the 6x1 size nipple, correct? Looks like they are under 5 bucks each online.

This will be my only gun till October when I plan on picking up another or a kit, so I have lots of time to get it dialed in.

I really do like the economical side of these guns. I can shoot 100 shots for less than the price of 20 rounds of modern centerfire ammo. I don't have much spare cash and this really makes it easy to go out shooting for an afternoon.

Dont use sloppy wet patches if you clean between shots or groups. You'll shove gunk into your CVA firing breech. I spit on a cleaning patch and shove it down and "Pull" the fouling out with a properly sized jag and patch. The key to accuracy is having the bore condition and slickness the same each shot...........

Bob

Increase patch thickness first. Get them to not blow apart. If it still shoots low, adjust your sights. Your grouping looks OK. This should help. You could try going to a fabric store and getting some .018 pillow ticking and try lubing it yourself. That's all I use and I have great results.

HH 60 :thumbsup:

bilder said:
I really do like the economical side of these guns. I can shoot 100 shots for less than the price of 20 rounds of modern centerfire ammo. I don't have much spare cash and this really makes it easy to go out shooting for an afternoon.

That's a big difference isn't it. You have to be a "handloader" or you can't shoot at all! :rotf:

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but look into picking up a LEE ball mold and casting your own. They cost less than two boxes of factory balls, and after that your balls are virtually free if you use scrap lead or recover and recycle your own. If you develop reduced loads for offhand practice, probably something on the order of 30-35 grains of 3f and buy ticking from the fabric store to make your own patches, you've cut the cost even further.

Even at $25/pound for black powder up here, a 30 grain charge means 233 shots per pound or roughly 11 cents a shot. Say a yard of ticking costs $5 and you get over 1,000 patches from a yard, and its less than half a cent for a patch. Spit is free or household oils nearly so. Balls are free. Last time I bought caps, they were around $6 a tin or 6 cents each.

If my math is up to snuff that's around 18 cents a shot or $3.60 for a "box" of 20 shots. Lots less if you aren't paying Alaska powder prices.

Beats the pants off CF rifle shells. Up the powder charge to a hunting load of 70 grains and you're around 32 cents a shot or $6.40 per "box" of 20. Still not bad.

i would reccomend using a 50 cal jag and a piece of green scotchbrite pad lubed with olive oil. give it 50 strokes (in & out counts as one stroke). use a new pice after about 15-20 strokes. the clean it really well with dawn dish soap & water. as for nipples, i use MSM Spitfire they work great. good luck :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
bilder said:

That's a big difference isn't it. You have to be a "handloader" or you can't shoot at all! :rotf:

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but look into picking up a LEE ball mold and casting your own. They cost less than two boxes of factory balls, and after that your balls are virtually free if you use scrap lead or recover and recycle your own. If you develop reduced loads for offhand practice, probably something on the order of 30-35 grains of 3f and buy ticking from the fabric store to make your own patches, you've cut the cost even further.

Even at $25/pound for black powder up here, a 30 grain charge means 233 shots per pound or roughly 11 cents a shot. Say a yard of ticking costs $5 and you get over 1,000 patches from a yard, and its less than half a cent for a patch. Spit is free or household oils nearly so. Balls are free. Last time I bought caps, they were around $6 a tin or 6 cents each.

If my math is up to snuff that's around 18 cents a shot or $3.60 for a "box" of 20 shots. Lots less if you aren't paying Alaska powder prices.

Beats the pants off CF rifle shells. Up the powder charge to a hunting load of 70 grains and you're around 32 cents a shot or $6.40 per "box" of 20. Still not bad.

Been looking at the molds already. Will probably scape the cash together for one in the next month or so. I see casting stuff come through the auction house a couple times a year so I will have to get one next time it happens.

My center fire rifle ammo costs me 43 bucks a box right now. Needless to say I only shoot it when sighting in or hunting.

Been looking through my wife's fabric stash looking for some good patch material. So far I have found some muslin that may work. If not I will pay a visit to the thrift store or craft place next time I am in the neighborhood.

Back