• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report -- Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This past Thursday, I finally was able to get out to the range for the first time since August. Only had enough time to shoot my .58 caliber, T/C Hawken (caplock).

The target below was shot from 25 yards, seated. I used about 68 grains of FFG Goex, wonder wad, patch and a .570 hornady round ball.

I also shot 6 shots seated from 50 yards with similar results.

Finally, I shot 5 shots off hand at 25 yards and did okay -- a little shaking on my part.

The gun is dialed in -- I need a little work in holding a steadier hand!
Guess that will come with more range time, but, unfortunately, am lucky to get out to the range once a month, if that.

Can't think of a better way to spend a few hours on a beautiful fall morning!

4078309669_5a0eeded14_b.jpg

Nice shooting. If you are getting that from a rest at 50 yards then you are dialed in fine. You'll most likely be shooting from a blind when hunting anyway so should be no problem. Even if you opened up some off hand your still putting them in the kill zone.

git a pair of shootin stiks, stoke'er, hold steady and squeeze da trigger!! Should be meat in da' pan!!

You can strengthen your biceps and fore arms by lifting weights. Improvise with a gallon jug of water or two, and do curls with it. Do this 3 days a week, and work up the repetitions. The other days of the week can be spent walking or biking, if the weather permits( join the mall walkers for half an hour a day on alternating days when the weather is not cooperating.

To improve your circulation, stop drinking any beverage with caffeine in it. Reduce, or stop smoking, too. You will be surprised at how much more steady your aim is by " sacrificing " these bad habits. :shocked2: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I have a bad left knee, from a college injury when I was a guinea pig for the prototype of the Nautilus equipment. I use a walking stick when hunting deer, to help me over the up and down ground. I also use it as a monopod, to brace my gun for those longer shots when a tree is not handy. I have used two such sticks in the past: one was improvised from a branch I picked off the forest floor from a recent blow down. The second is a skier's pole, with the basket and sticker removed, and replaces with a rubber chair leg " bumper" I bought at a hardware store for less than 50 cents! The wrist strap comes in hand for me, and the pole is very light weight, but obviously made very strong with fiberglas. The wood pole I made was much taller, and therefore was more adaptable for shooting off-hand, but the ski pole is about 4 feet long, and works fine with a kneeling or sitting position.

I inherited an adjustable camera monopod, which is long enough when fully extended to use standing off-hand. It telescopes to different lengths, so I can use it as a cane with my left leg when it begins to throb and swell. Its made of strong aluminum alloy tubing,and its about the best " stick " I have found.

I have recently seen carbon- fiber "sticks" being sold for hikers. I have not seen them out of their packaging, so I don't know how long they are, but it sounds like a light weight, " GOOD IDEA", and they are not all that expensive.

Being the Cheap guy I am, I tend to lean( no puns, please!) towards making my own. The Ski pole I bought after the ski season, from a local rental shop, that has "single " poles turned in each year, from people who lose or break the other. I paid about 50 cents for each pole, and originally bought a dozen of them.

I have since given most of them away to Police investigators to use as Tracking Sticks, after they trained with me. To remove the baskets and points, just pour boiling water into a bucket, and put the basket end of the pole down into the water. in 5 minutes the glue softens enough that you can pull, or turn the basket off the stick.

Use a stout tree or limb if you make yours of wood, but dry it out, or use dried out wood for this purpose. Wrap the stick with something on which to put your hand. remove all the bark- its coming off, sooner or later anyway. Drill a hole through it at some handy location and put some boot lace or leather thong through it to be a wrist strap. Put a large rubber bumper- the kind you see on crutches-- on the end Carve it if you wish. Stain it if you wish, But give it a few coats of wood sealer, and stock finish to seal it from moisture. One friend has a ring of blaze orange tape around the top of his stick, so he can find its where he leans it against a tree! Smart friend.

:hatsoff:

Paul: Nice shooting. Did you pick 68 grains as the result of accuracy sweet spot testing? I would think you could go up some and still group very well, although that's plenty of smack for deer. What is the twist rate of your barrel? Look forward to getting my .58 double rifle to the range -- perhaps today in between rain storms.

68 grains seems to be what she likes.

If I ever took it out hunting I'd work up some higher loads.

Thanks.

In fact, I am going to try to get to the range this morning and shoot my new Pietta 1858 Remington (got it in September and have not had a chance to shoot it yet!)

Back