• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Session, CVA "Colonial" pistol...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Some years back, my late Father brought me a kit for a CVA "Colonial" pistol.

He found it collecting dust on a shelf in a gun shop over near Killeen, and knowing that I shot .45 sidelocks, he bought it and gave it to me to assemble and shoot.

I think that he paid about $35 for it.
Colonial1-1.jpg

I had to install a higher front sight-- just a dowel-pin really, and added a steel belt-clip from DGW
Colonial2-1.jpg

I really wanted to work-up a PRB load for it and experimented with .440 and .445 RBs, along with a variety of patches/loads, but never really got decent grouping.

I did some more shooting with it recently, and found that it seems to like the TC Maxi-balls that I cast for some of my other .45s, with 15 gns of FFF Triple 7 as just about right for a load. The Maxi's fall from my mould weighing right at 242 gns.... a pretty decent sleeping-pill in a .45.

Here's what 15 gns looks like next to the Maxi. The Maxi-ball is lubed with a Crisco/Gulf-wax mixture. I love the powder-economy when shooting these pistols!
Colonial3-1.jpg

This bullet and load clocks around 750 fps, as measured 10 feet from the muzzle. This is comparable to the traditional factory .44 special load.
Colonial4-1.jpg

And here's the exit-hole on a 2x6, shot at 15 yds. That TC Maxi is often maligned as being over penetrative on deer-sized game out of a rifle, but in a lightly-charged pistol, that penetration is a bonus!
Colonial5-1.jpg

And lastly, here's the final group of the day, five shots at 28 yds with no swabbing during the string.
Colonial6-1.jpg

All in all, satisfying performance from a pistol that is little more than a big Derringer. I'm glad I didn't give-up on it.

I'm definitely planning on carrying it as a backup for my Hawken during the fall...

HH All!
Skillet

That was the first m/l I ever owned. Sold it to help pay for a ring for my wife. I've had her for 32 years, I miss that gun.
From what I remember, it shot pretty good for me.

I have the flintlock version of that'un, only fired it a few times though. good work on the assembly and, at the range. :hatsoff:

That little pistol is kinda cute, like a bulldog puppy. Nice shooting, by the way.

Deer Creek would have the correct front sight for you. You also appear to be missing the ramrod. I don't know if they have one of those. I have one of those pistols - unfired. My father acquired a number of old CVA guns and I have them now.

Great grouping
I hd one of those oh so many years ago!! it was great fun building it, my dad got it form me when I was 12 years old, I'm 51 now.
I also love that target, where did you get it from? I can only find the B-27 targets around here and would like to get ahold of that type that shows some internals.

You need to shoot the pistol out of his hand first,and while he's recovering run over and bash him with the butt a good one. He's got a revolver, so even wounded he might get a good shot in :wink:

tiger13 said:
I also love that target, where did you get it from?
lawenforcementtargets.com

I buy them by the 100. Less than 40 cents each that way.

Also, I have the ram rod in my shooting bag... it tends to get loose and isn't really very functional anyway.

Already had to replace it once after I lost the first one during a deer hunt.
Skillet

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back