• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Rare Prestine Douglass barrel 50 cal T/C 700.00

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There are lots of t/c but one thats made with a douglas barrel thats a beaut. ALL Blueing nice luster..Target sights...For light bench or offhand it will put 1 hole into another. There is a lil split that is in pics thats nothing right by the screw that holds the lock 3rd pic..oh 50.00 shipping ..Plus i always donate to this sight.

Attachments

• 101_1202.JPG
    101_1202.JPG
    581.3 KB
  • 101_1203.JPG
    101_1203.JPG
    571.7 KB
  • 101_1204.JPG
    101_1204.JPG
    569.8 KB
  • 101_1206.JPG
    101_1206.JPG
    558.4 KB
  • 101_1208.JPG
    101_1208.JPG
    552.3 KB
  • 101_1205.JPG
    101_1205.JPG
    584.5 KB
  • 101_1218.JPG
    101_1218.JPG
    613.8 KB
  • 101_1211.JPG
    101_1211.JPG
    637.3 KB
as Ghost23 asked what do you have that indicates this is a Douglas barrel? Never seen a Douglas barrel with TC info stamped on it. I know Douglas did make barrels for other companies, DGW for one. but never seen anything on them making TC barrels.

I just searched on some other forums, and the consensus seems to be that the barrels with the cross stamped on them were made by Douglas.
Sharon used a spade, Douglas a Maltese cross, Green Mountain a capitol M.

i have used many Douglas barrels. none with the Maltese cross marking. all with GR Douglas.
I have two TC rifles with Douglas barrels. One a Seneca, the other a 'hawken'. I have never seen the Maltese cross on a Douglas barrel and mine do not have that symbol. Douglas barrels are stamped "G R Douglas". The flat that is stamped on is intended to be installed on the rifle with either on top or bottom as run out causes the ball to go wherever the muzzle end is. With top or bottom sighting is easier than sideways. But, as Deerstalker said, "never say never". Douglas made barrels for several manufacturers. It is possible one of the requested the cross. But, I'm dubious Hunter's barrel is Douglas. BTW, both of mine are winners in competition.

EDIT: I have THREE rifles with Douglas barrels. The third is the ladie rifle I'm selling. G R Douglas XX on bottom flat. No cross of any kind.

Last edited:
I just searched on some other forums, and the consensus seems to be that the barrels with the cross stamped on them were made by Douglas.
Sharon used a spade, Douglas a Maltese cross, Green Mountain a capitol M.
I've often heard this one too, a friend of mine who dabbles in buying and selling TCs swears by it. I don't think you can positively
say it's wrong since the fire and there went any proof one way or another. It's possible that TC had these companies make their
barrels in the begining and then sourced it out to an Italian or Spanish Co. when they couldn't keep up with demand and the rising
cost. Look at the locks.
No proof marks, Colt had their 2nd generation cap and balls made there and they don't have foreign proof marks.
I'm just saying that I've seen them, and I have a couple of them.

Note to TC Tommy: Colt's 2nd Generation percussion revolvers were not "made" in Italy. Some parts for them were made in Italy but they were assembled, fitted, and finished in Hartford.

The cross is a inspectors mark. Indicates who checked out the barrel and gave it the go, cross spade M ect ect. Douglas did make barrels for them the first two yrs but never marked them, they were stamped tc like all the others. Sharon never made barrels for them, around 75 Douglas helped them set up there own mill to make barrels.

But what I can say is that it is one of there very early production ones due to the brass ring the hold the lock screw center making it atleast a first generation stock. All depends if the serial number matches the stocks age

I have THREE rifles with Douglas barrels. The third is the ladie rifle I'm selling. G R Douglas XX on bottom flat. No cross of any kind.
Similar experience with low digit serial numbered TCs I have owned and sold (GR Douglas stamp with no cross), though it does appear that @hunter thompson has an earlier TC for sale based on posted photographs.

What is the Sn on the barrel?
I don’t recall the exact numbers, though I still have a few TCs in the 4k serial number range with no indication they were manufactured by Douglas. I do not know serial numbers or when Douglas made barrels for TC. I just remember they were early guns. Was not important at the time nor do I find it important today. After the fire it apparently wasn’t important or discoverable to TC either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back