• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

raw cowhorns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canepole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I sure would like to find a source for raw cowhorns to make powderhorns and other products.Polished or sanded horns are okay,but I prefer ones that haven't been worked.I would pick up within reasonable driving distance,commercial delivery otherwise.

I get my horns from slaughter houses.
One butcher charges me 1.00 each. From another butcher 2 dozen doughnuts gets me a barrel full.

Search the net, you will quickly find a couple of sources where you can buy a boxfull. It may be more fun to scout your own locale though. Farms, small meat processors etc.

Ghettogun said:
It may be more fun to scout your own locale though. Farms, small meat processors etc.

You're right about that, and you never know for sure where they'll turn up.

I got my eye on one right now. A bear killed a cow and buried it with one horn sticking out of the ground. The rancher got the bear, but that horn is still there sticking out of the ground. Not loose enough to pull free yet, but I keep checking. Then there's the other one below ground.

I figure those two horns just NEED to be worked up! :thumbsup:

Try www.powderhornsandmore.com
John Shorb
His horns are polished and ready to go, but there is no guessing as to what you are getting. You see it before you buy.
John is a horner himself and knows his horns. :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying,I called two local outfits that custom slaughter here, this morning.It's really hit or miss with them,not as many people raising their own beef these days.I'm still following that idea,that's the way I'd prefer to go.Some of the other members have suggested commercial sources,that is an option.

Looks like a good source,have it on favorites list now.As I've told others,will try the slaughter houses etc.first,then your suggestion.This is not a business with me merely a hobby,don't mind the extra trouble.But a backup is good,I've tried the local idea before.

Thank you far north neighbor,you folks are doing me right.I'll try footwork first, then phonecall and plastic.You need a guard posted while digging up that other horn.Old griz might dispute your claim.Have read articles where blacktail hunters in your world have their buddy watch their back, so they can clean their deer.

beanrifle said:
Thank you far north neighbor,you folks are doing me right.I'll try footwork first, then phonecall and plastic.You need a guard posted while digging up that other horn.Old griz might dispute your claim.Have read articles where blacktail hunters in your world have their buddy watch their back, so they can clean their deer.

Some places and circumstances, you're darned tooting.

But that particular spot is out in the open, and the rancher already solved the problem with lead when the bear came back for a second meal. It was a 9-foot bear, old enough to have a history of cow killing if it was inclined, but not in this case. The salmon runs were late this year and the berry crops poor, so it appears this was his first venture into prime beef. His last mistake!

Latest posts

Back