• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rawhide ball bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Many years ago I collected three little rawhide containers which I use for ball bags. Two of them seem to have been made with homemade (?) rawhide, one possibly of commercial. I can't recall where I bought them or exactly when, but probably in the late 1970 or the 1980s, good chance it was on commercial row at Friendship. They are of the type made by soaking rawhide, sewing it into a bag, stuffing it with something...sand, shot, etc... and letting it dry. The smallest is 4 3/4", the largest 5 1/2". They are very tough little containers, show almost no wear after hard use for many years. I don't believe I've ever seen them in use by anyone else. Is anyone familiar with these little bags?

Spence

Never seen anything like them! I go to Ebay quite alot and type in " vintage black powder " and you see all kinds of neat old stuff that covers accessories, muzzleloader parts, and anything else you could think of BP related. Never seen anything like those though! They are really neat looking! I Like It! Thanks for sharing and also the pic's. Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

I have one I use to carry rb in it works great. Don't remember where I got the idea to make it and it doesn't look nearly as nice as those. Great bags though

FWIW 'Cutfingers' (a premium member on this site) sells similar leather/molded roundball bags, albeit a bit more refined, often here in the Classifieds page.

You should contact him! His leather work and materials are awesome, with really reasonable prices for such handmade items. I'd imagine he could duplicate what you had if you didn' like his 'stock' versions.

Those are neat. But, remember, in this game most of us become individual craftsmen. Talent and ideas vary greatly. You will see with time a lot of stuff that is unlike other stuff. Just enjoy.

Spence. I think it must be more of a west of the Missouri river Buckskinniner item, as they are all over the place with the mountain men out this way. I have made a few many years ago for friends and myself and still have a couple somewhere packed away in my old plunder. I think some of the Trader's still make and sell them at the Bigger Rendezvous.

Thanks for posting and bringing back some great memories!

Rick

nice looking bags! I've toyed with the idea of making a wooden form and stretching leather over it, but it's still on my "to do" list

I made one out of deer-hide using a piece of drilled out basswood for the neck and a tree branch for the stopper. Found out right away I needed to make the inside diameter of the neck bigger than my .490 balls if I didn't want to spend "forever" trying to shake one out.

Good news is that if one hangs up on the sprue of one of the balls I cast, I can usually push it through with another ball because the bag is soft and will let me get another one in the throat behind it to push it through. After filing the opening a little wider (can't drill if very well with the wooden neck mounted in the bag), I haven't had any problems.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I've made quite a few ball bags from both leather and deer hide. I've gifted one or two away and have received them as well. This one is typical of deer hide bags but I've also made some with draw strings.

These are just a couple of my attempts making leather ones.

IMG_1640_zpsv8jhszdv.jpg
[/URL][/img]

You can see mine hanging off my bag. Very handy, spits out one .54 at a time, unless I tip it too much, then I get a row of 6 or more LOL!

I had a rather unique ball bag that was made of....well..... an actual ball bag. It was made from an animal scrotum. The man from whom I bought it said it was from a bull calf. It had a deer antler spout and held several .54 cal. balls. I bought it from one of the vendors on vendors row at Friendship several years ago. A friend of mine saw it and just had to have it so he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse and he now has it. I kind of wish I hadn't traded it off because it was rather unique.

Made one for my .32 using a couple of rawhide chew bones I stole from my dog. Not real pretty, but functional.

George said:
I don't believe I've ever seen them in use by anyone else. Is anyone familiar with these little bags?

I really like playing with rawhide, and some time back I made up an array of bags for particular ball sizes (to avoid bridging when feeding out the balls).

Wish I had tried the first one for a year or so, or at least in the rain, before going on to build all the others.

Rawhide turns absolutely slimy when it's been wet for a bit. Doesn't necessarily soften unless it gets really wet and stays that way a while. But when that outer surface gets wet and slimy, they're a PITA to handle and use with cold hands.

Gave mine to a friend who was moving to warm dry country, and he's still delighted with my generosity. Nice that we're both happy! :thumbsup:

A lady was selling ball bags that looked
just like the real thing, kinda two parts, one side bigger than the other, I think made from the real deal. shoulda bought one.

Back