• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RCA #78 Isaac Haines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a couple Jim Chambers Isaac Haines sets for my winter projects and finished the first of the two. This is my so called "test/practice" rifle for the second which has a higher upgrade (better figured)stock.
It's a std. JC set with a 38" Rice swamped in .50 cal., Deluxe Siler lock. Rifle is a close but not exact copy of the Isaac Haines in RCA #78.
(I apologize for the pics. I need a better camera)
muzzleloaders008_zps3cbefcfc.jpg
IssacHainespics010_zpsb239b635.jpg
IssacHainespics013_zps55bbc367.jpg
Isaachaines002_zps7472da89.jpg
IssacHainespics015_zps7829cf3a.jpg
IssacHainespics016_zps774e3feb.jpg
IssacHainespics017_zps96a86069.jpg

Real nice work. Its a beautiful rifle. Everything is nicely executed. Obviously you have talent

:hatsoff: :bow:
VERY good first one! You've got talent, let's see the next!
And, now, your hooked!

Seriously good work!
Marc

Looks great for a first rifle! The only thing that jumps out at me (and maybe it's just the angle of the picture) is the "point" coming off the sideplate panel into the beavertail looks pretty extreme in the 3rd picture. I'd consider smoothing/slimming that down on the next one.

Overall, great looking first build!

Thanks all for the compliments. Just to clarify, This is my first of the two completed for the my winter projects. Not my first ever build. :wink:
Here is some close detail pics of the PB and check side carving. It's very hard to get a pic of the BP with all the glare off the brass.
issachaines009_zps5ba69024.jpg
issachaines005_zps12943cf1.jpg
issachaines011_zpsc761fd75.jpg

Did you do the engraving? Hammer & chisel? Where did you get your inspiration for the designs of both the carving (nicely done) and engraving? What tools do you like to use for the above?

Thank you. Yes I do my own engraving. I just use a std. chase hammer and an engraver I made from a worn out chainsaw file. The carvings with a basic set of Pfeil chisels.

I get my inspiration from all of you guys here on this site that do such beautiful work on these long rifles.

I just copied the design (as close as possible) straight out of the RCA book. Isaac Haines #78.

Back