• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-bore Limits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Provided there is enough barrel thickness, what is the minimum enlargement possible on a rifle re-bore? Do you just have to go big enough to remove the existing lands? For example, would re-boring a .50 to .54 typically be doable?
Thanks in advance!

I had a 15/16" TC barrel bored from .50 to .54 as well as a C weight Rice barrel bored from .50 to .54. It depends on who made the barrel and what size it is.

I checked the Rice Barrel page, 13/16" to .45, 7/8" to 50, 15/16" to 54, B weight Barrel to .50, C weight to .54, D weight to 58.

Thanks for the info. Called Mr Hoyt a few times yesterday and this morning. I'll keep trying.
Until I get him, any guesses on what a re-bore would cost? It's a 30" barrel going from .50 cal fast twist to .54 cal slow twist.

Thanks for the info. Called Mr Hoyt a few times yesterday and this morning. I'll keep trying.
Until I get him, any guesses on what a re-bore would cost? It's a 30" barrel going from .50 cal fast twist to .54 cal slow twist.
It's also going to depend on the size of the breech plug. I just got a barrel back from him that I was going to go up from .50 to .54 and he wasn't able to do it because the breech plug was too small. Ended up getting it sleeved down to .45 with a fast twist. All together it cost me less than $200 including shipping to and from. You're going to have to talk to him and tell him what you have and what you want to do. He will point you in the right direction.

Provided there is enough barrel thickness, what is the minimum enlargement possible on a rifle re-bore? Do you just have to go big enough to remove the existing lands? For example, would re-boring a .50 to .54 typically be doable?
Thanks in advance!
In conversations with Mr. Hoyt about TC barrels specifically, he told me that ‘usually’ he could go to 58 caliber rifled bore or 60 caliber smooth bore with a 1” across the flats barrel, as long as screw holes and dovetails weren’t too deep. On other manufacturers’ barrels, basically the same factors plus the breech plug, as previously mentioned.

Latest posts

Back