• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

re-enacting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomcurt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I need a little guidance here...trying to get my mind around something...

Regarding reenactments....military....From what I understand...a skirmish, battle..etc. is redone. Ok...now my question is...assuming the outcome is already known..er...after doing a specific one several times...methinks it would get somewhat boring. Please someone tell me if my thinking is correct..or if I am missing something.

It is generally only done once a year (a specific historical event), so you'd have to have a really unique personality to get bored by it I would think...you obviously are not a teacher who has to teach the same topics day in and day out year after year.....you have to love it! :m2c:

Regarding reenactments....military....From what I understand...a skirmish, battle..etc. is redone. Ok...now my question is...assuming the outcome is already known..er...after doing a specific one several times...methinks it would get somewhat boring. Please someone tell me if my thinking is correct..or if I am missing something.

Yeah, they do. Did Civil War for four years. The only thing that really kept my interest for even that long was that I joined a cavalry unit. Had my own horse and all at the time. So working with the horse is what actually made it fun. And the boys in my unit used to love to sing around the campfire at night--period music only. So I always brought my banjo.

But the battles themselves, well they all pretty much got to be the same after the beginning of the third year.

Cruzatte

From what I have seen people can get stale as you say.

I have also noticed how some people keep refreshing their interest by making new equipment, learning new details or perfecting various skills.

CS

The average time spent in any hobby type activity in the US averages 2 1/2 years. That includes reenacting. Many people get in and get bored and get out.

How many of the 4000 or so members of this forum even post on a regular basis. How many regular posters disapear and we latter find that they decided to concentrate on their model airplanes or stamp collecting?

This is one of the reasons that established groups get a reputation of being standoffish or PC nazis. They get tired of spending their time and energy helping people develop a persona and then wondering where they disipeared too.

We folk that do this for 30 years, espically the frontier personas, become known as the "darkside lunitic fringe".

Military is definately a problem, espically as a unit ages. 60 year old privates and all. And the units can never pretend to have anywhere near a full contingent of troops. It's easy to explain a group of six hunters or settlers of varrying ages, but dificult to explain a company that consists of 8 men (before the battle)!

:front:

The average time spent in any hobby type activity in the US averages 2 1/2 years.

Military is definately a problem, espically as a unit ages. 60 year old privates and all. And the units can never pretend to have anywhere near a full contingent of troops. It's easy to explain a group of six hunters or settlers of varrying ages, but dificult to explain a company that consists of 8 men (before the battle)!

:front:

This would partially explain why I got interested in the musical side of re-enacting.

Cruzatte

Well Sir... If it's eight SCOTs they are, it's all that's needed!!! ::

Our's is a hobby that requires (Demands) a lot of work to get a presentation reasonably accurate (and I mean not just in appearance and execution, but in our personal mind-set as well). Some people just don't want to apply that much effort and I understand fully. It is disappointing, however, to lose people to other interests. :(

Jim aka kiltiemon

I just started this year and already am tired of the bull^#%@. We just talked to some liberal today that told us we can't have a fire in the camp,We have to do the "battle" in the asphalt parking lot and we can't shoot our guns. We said we can't make it. They actually wanted us to do a skit.I went to a Living history a couple of weeks ago and was bored out of my mind. :results:

I was in the NSSA for over 20 years, during that time I saw alot of guys who didn't last one season. They didn't realize how much time, effort, and money it took to practice with your musket, replace your worn out shirt and shoes, drive to an event, spend the weekend in a tent, get up early Sunday morning, shoot all day, then drive back home, and do the same thing in another few weeks.
I never got tired of it, nor did I ever find it boring. Working two jobs to support family finally forced me out.

So now the kids are on their own and I'm into another time in history. There is so much to learn. How could you get bored if you learn something new every day? I don't post every day but I check all the posts every day. Love those flintlock rifles.

I've been into it for 8 years now. I still find it fascinating. The more I learn the more I realize there is to learn. I pick my events wisely, have a good group of guys to attend events with, and each year I focus on some new aspect of the hobby.

As for the outcome of the battles being known.......I've been on the winning and the losing side. Once the smoke starts to buld up and the Captain is yelling to reload, well it's always fun to me no matter how many times I've done it.

Dont feel bad about the party indoctrination,,, err political correctness propaganda movement. At least your situation would have allowed you to be dressed up and carrying your musket.

I always wanted to get into medieval reinactment. I was so dead set on portraying your average man at arms i failed to realize that to do so i would have to go join a reinactment army in EUROPE. as all the reinactment in america for the middle ages is a preschool nursery dressup game. Most wont even let you have anything bigger than a knive if it is sharpened. and if you have a "sword" (think long rectangular metal stick with no sharp parts) you cant even pull it out of a sheath or scabbard.

Appartly there was some problem with tourist being to close to the shooting a couple years ago.The next year they said no shooting.The Confedrate CW reeactors didn't come back.Their supposed to be back this year,but they were told they could shoot their guns.Left hand don't know what the right hand is doing.Anyway I ask that guy to call my CW commader and discuss it all.So who knows? :youcrazy:
They have a Medievil Festival in Indianapolis once a year.I've never found much else going on in it either.I'd love to do a Dane/Viking impression.Slash slash stab stab-rape, rob ,and pilliage!PC is hold hands,borrow, and burn leaves in the back yard. :nono: Have a great weekend! :front:

I don't want this to sound like I'm leaving doo-doo in the mess kit, or bashing or flaming someone's hobby, but...

I went to my first N-SSA Nationals just this May. It was not a re-enactment of a battle, but shooting matches with firearms and cannon. I have lived in the same area in WV for ALL my life, been interested in muzzleloading practically all my life, and yet I did NOT know that Ft. Shenandoah was only 50 miles away (1hr drive each way).

I find that to be a shame. Not for me, but that there is NO publicity to speak of for the magnitude of a "national event", unless you're already involved. It was interesting to walk through Sutlers' Row and find some odds and ends that I needed for my rifle.

As a spectator, the shooting got boring rather quickly. I really don't understand why the participants need to be in full costume JUST for a shooting match...? I talked to several N-SSA members and former members who told me more details about the organization and what's involved. I began to add up the "costs" involved to become competitive (enough to make it worthwhile) and it did NOT (add up, that is). What I mean is, you'd have to "live your only hobby" 24/7 practically.

I do have some other hobbies (which I enjoy) and obligations to family to do in my spare time. More spare time is available--me being semi-retired now, but I can't afford to be that involved in ANY hobby or sport. My wife's cousins are involved in re-enacting, and represent/portray the Christian Commission at the encampment. At least their presence may provide some spiritual "guidance" or "comfort", and every experience is probably different, but I'm not "picking on them" either.

It's fine with me if someone has been bit by the re-enactment bug (whatever period in history) and wants to invest their time and money in their hobby. I just have to limit my involvement to something that is not so "all consuming" (or seemingly repetitive). And I really do appreciate that there are people who want to preserve history and re-tell it. It's just not for me I guess, but I'm not going to try to stop them. Hopefully a new group of the "historically unaware" come to these re-enactments each year. WE NEED TO REMEMBER!

I think the anti's and the PCs and the liberals would rather that we didn't know what our history was. We might learn that our freedoms are even more at risk now; and that we continue to lose some freedome with every passing generation.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I spent 20 years CW reeancting, over 30 years shooting BP and am just now getting into Longhunter full swing. What everybody has said in this thread makes sense. Knowing the outcome of a historical event does tend to get old. So what we did was on Saturdays, we would do a "tactical" or war game. Sometimes we even reversed who "won" the battle on that day then did the actual scenario on Sunday. And there is always the opportunity to hone your persona or even get invited to participate in another branch. I was infantry, but I got the opportunity to serve on a gun crew once in a while. Like any other hobby you have to diversify once in a while. I was even a sutler one summer. Many reenactors do more than one period. We had guys in my unit that did Rev. War and a couple were doubling as Waffen SS machine gunners when they weren't doing CW. How they could afford that I don't know. Like it was said, these events come around once a year, but even knowing the outcome, they're all unique in their own way. When we reminisce about those events with our comrades, one will say, "Do you remember what happened at Bentonville that time?" And another will say, "Which one?" "Aww, you know, the '83 one." "Oh, yeah! You mean when..." What I'm trying to say is, you'll have distinct memories of those times. It's not so much how the battle turned out, it's what you and your friends did and the pleasures you shared. My CW days, especially the last ten were a big part of my life and very special to me. In fact, that is how I met my wife...But that's another story.
:m2c:

Actually, I have long avoided the Civil War events, but I would like to attend something where live shots are fired at targets. I am getting sick of the blank load demos so common in Rev War. I want to make holes when I pull the trigger.
(I mainly went into these events because there were few shooting opportunities in this part of SC.)

Maybe I need to look at the NSSA again. If I could get a cheap entry outfit and a really good gun and mould...

Priorities! <G>

CS

been doin F&I since 1990. My daughter was 2 weeks old at her first one! :rolleyes:

This hobby is more than the battle reenactments, the shootin matches, the tradin, the cookin, the hawk throwin, the gun bulding and knife collectin. It's everything all together. It's sittin around the fire at night swappin lies with freinds you've known for years and new ones you met yesterday. It's finding that new piece of documentation that you have been lookin for. It's hammerin the steel into something usefull. It's all this and so much more. :yakyak:
I'll stop now :sleep:

This hobby is more than the battle reenactments, the shootin matches, the tradin, the cookin, the hawk throwin, the gun bulding and knife collectin. It's everything all together. It's sittin around the fire at night swappin lies with friends you've known for years and new ones you met yesterday. It's finding that new piece of documentation that you have been lookin for. It's hammerin the steel into something usefull. It's all this and so much more.

My feelings as well.

I've never reenacted a "battle". My focus is on "living" my persona for a period of time, whether that's a day trek, or a two week event.

I have friends who do "battles", but their attitude and goal is very different than mine. They put on their stuff, reenact the battle, take off their stuff - and that's it. It's like being in a play for them. They have no interest in the day-to-day living part.

But... they're happy, I'm happy, and we're good friends. ::

I have been reenacting for about 5 years. I go to the Fort De Chartres Rendezvous (Prairie Du Rocher, IL) in June and November and talk with acquaintances of 5 years or 5 minutes. I do living history one day per year at our elementary school and reenforce their understanding of the area's French history and Lewis and Clark. I go to a range and fire my musket once per summer. I got started to get some idea of what it was like to fire a flintlock and live like they did. Prior to that I read military history, painted lead soldiers and wargamed with the soldiers. Military history lead to wanting to reenact military. I joined a friend doing non-military reenacting and got more interested in non-military history like Lewis & Clark. You never know where things will lead.

Claude,

Our group does not shoot and walk away. We do camp for a weekend. Camp, cook and work in our roles. We sleep in the camp which is laid out correctly.

The drill is generally interesting. After a few hours it can become dull, but one must become proficient in the manual of arms if one is to portray a soldier. When one sets up a battlefield, it becomes apparent why such skills were critical. The movement of many men into position on a battlefield is a difficult thing.

Yes, battles are often repeats, but as we learn more and adjust equipment and events it gets better. Maybe not perfect, but we try pretty hard. Besides, all of the other points exist here as well. Friends sharing good times during the day and the warmth of the fire as well.

At most of our events we try to provide more than smoke and noise for people who come to visit. Moulding balls or spoons; doing some shaping of iron at the forge or working some leather for our equipment all draw interest from attendees.

My only complaint is that I am a shooter first and do living history as a secondary interest. I would enjoy more opportunities for live fire in events.

CS

Back