• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-sizing a barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfish33

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question for the experts. Do you see any reason you couldn't mill a barrel down in size from 1" to 7/8"? Have a free 1" barrel in a .45 and would rather do a 7/8" just because of the weight. Thanks in advance.

I don't see why not if you have the equipment and skill. The only concern I would have is how big the breechplug is. You may not have a lot of metal left around the breechplug threads.

Milling creates and releases stress in a part. I'd be afraid that the barrel would warp big time.You could end up with a banana. :(

That was my main concern is the warping, but I have and have seen people bend barrels to straighten them. And I am a machinist and have access after hours to the machines I need.

If the breech threads are 5/8" it's not a problem w/ a 7/8" bbl. If the bbl was originally milled on centers after the bore was finished then most, if not all of the stress, has been relieved. A Douglas bbl that was rolled into an octagon and then bored and rifled, would be more subject to warping......Fred

It is in fact a regular Douglas barrel with a 5/8 Breech thread. If it does have some warpage I see nothing wrong with some "arm strong" straightening. Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

Minimal cuts and plenty of coolant and warpage shouldnt be a problem.
Have you given any thoughts to a tapered barrel like 7/8" to 3/4" ? Makes for a light well balanced long gun.

Bubba45 said:
Minimal cuts and plenty of coolant and warpage shouldnt be a problem.
Have you given any thoughts to a tapered barrel like 7/8" to 3/4" ? Makes for a light well balanced long gun.
Bubba beat me to the answer....I was going to suggest that since you have the machines and expertise that you mill a tapered barrel. That way your breech area would not be compromised.

the way we did them was to mill in about 8" then index the barrel and do all eight sides then move down and do it all over again. that way you are keeping the stresses the same all the way down the barrel.

mazo kid said:
Bubba beat me to the answer....I was going to suggest that since you have the machines and expertise that you mill a tapered barrel. That way your breech area would not be compromised.

That was my first thought too. A 1 inch barrel at the breech tapered to 5/8 at the muzzle should make for a nice, well balanced rifle.

And as mentioned earlier, light cuts with lots of cutting oil, and rotating the barrel to cut opposing flats should reduce or eliminate warpage.

Thanks guys. I am taking it to the same size the entire length. But I was going to cut one side then flip 180 and cut the opposite side. Will do all 8 flats on half the barrel and then do the other end. Thanks for the replies keep them coming. :thumbsup:

I have heard of a guy that I knew well, that he made a swamp barrel by putting a heavy octagon barrel in a fixture and "flexing it just so" ,that when he milled all 8 sides he ended up with a swamp barrel.I have no idea if it worked or not ,or if it could hit the side of a barn.But just an interesting thought.

Never Mind guys I found someone willin gto trade me barrels, thanks for all of your input though. Happy Rifle Building.

Back