• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reading PRB patches after the shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAN - GA

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Purchased a 50cal New Englander barrel second hand that is a little dirty inside - has some minor pitting, but nothing too severe and it really cleaned up pretty well. Only one range session thus far and at 25yards I had 3 in one ragged hole and 4th just about 1.5" left so the barrel shoots great and I am pleased with my investment.

I did find most paches were tearing behind the ball - do you think this is a crown issue or just some tearing during loading and will shoot out over time - not sure the pitting is the culprit, but regardless the barrel shoots pretty well

load was 63gr FFg black
.490 ball
Wally world ticking cut flush at the muzzle - this stuff measured .015 to .017 on my calipers with minor pressure - lubed with borebutter which is pretty dry now on the cloth

What do you gentlement think on the patches? Accuracy is very respectable regardless - should I not change anything and just keep shooting and see what happens
Patch Pic

:photoSmile: would help a lot in solving the tearing. Is the tearing small holes around the diameter of the ball? if so its probably caused by a sharp crown.

Yep, it looks like you have a sharp crown that's cutting your patches, get some 200 grit wet-dry paper and using your thumb go around just inside the crown with even pressure and smooth the sharp edges you see there.

Being all man I never fix anything that works (and per my poor ol pop, God rest his soul, a man has 7 years to fix things that don't work. Ma didn't agree.

First off if "accuracy is acceptable" then leave it alone. Your patches appear to be cut, not torn/burned. Possible causes; sharp crown, to tight patch, weak material. Based just on the limited examples shown, it's looks to be a sharp crown. HINT; are the cuts in line with the outside diameter of the ball? If so, then check the barrel crown. If not, look elsewhere. HINT; not all patch material is created equal. It may measure .0XX, but strength of fiber is critical, as well. manure quality patches shoot like manure, regardless of thickness. There are a few places we can save a buck or two, but powder, patch, ball; ain't one of them!!!!! You're gonna get what you pay for. Good Luck, Buzzard

It looks like a sharp crown cut. Try just using your finger and some fine emory cloth and the "old twist". :idunno:

Agree with the others, The cuts being at the side of the ball indicates a sharp edge at the crown. Pal used to chuck a few different sized carriage bolts in a hand drill and with a little valve grinding compound, work the bevel smooth...doesn't take long or a lot of pressure.You just want to smooth the edge over.

My new GPR was tearing patches at my first range session. The first pic was with .530 balls and .015 pre-lubed patches.

GPRatRangeRS9_zpsd456c0fd.jpg

I used 320 grit cloth over my thumb at the muzzle and rotated it maybe six times or so with light to medium pressure.

This was the second range session with the same pre-lubed patches. Although, I did use .535 balls.

I think the color difference in the patches is due to me taking the first pic at the range and the other was at home inside with fluorescent lighting.

GPR2ndRangeTripRS6_zpscfd0d33b.jpg

Rick

Light equals color temperature measured in Kelvin...Incandesant light is 3200 kelvin...Flouresant light is 4500 Kelvin...and Sunlight is 5600 Kelvin...3200 Kelvin will give you an orange coloration and 5600 Kelvin will be blueish tint. Brockway's Outdoor Videography School finally pays off...LOL :v

I mount a lot of scopes so when i come across this I've put some lapping compound on a patch and up and down the bore a couple times straightened it right out

Back