• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight for Kibler Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anyway a rear sight can be added to Kiblers Fowler? Ive never owned a smoothie or shot one. Im thinking of getting one but I would probably shoot more RB out of mine than anything else. Maybe Im making a mistake and should just get a rifled gun. But seeing and reading how much fun they are has peaked my interest. Im wondering how one shoots one with RB and only a front sight. Im sure there is a learning curve on where to hold it on target.

Last edited:
i put a peep on mine, like the one i put on my colonial

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    4.2 MB
At the CLA show in Kentucky several years ago, they had an excellent full room display of original mls. Most of the Fowlers had rear sights! I never could figure out why rear sights on Fowlers were not allowed in competition. Not trying to start an argument here but there is plenty of room on the rear of the barrel to have a dovetail cut in. Or like Buff said, get a peep sight for the tang screw. There is a forum member here who makes and sells a good looking sight.

Is there anyway a rear sight can be added to Kiblers Fowler? Ive never owned a smoothie or shot one. Im thinking of getting one but I would probably shoot more RB out of mine than anything else. Maybe Im making a mistake and should just get a rifled gun. But seeing and reading how much fun they are has peaked my interest. Im wondering how one shoots one with RB and only a front sight. Im sure there is a learning curve on where to hold it on target.
That is so simple: Call Kibler, tell them your intentions/questions and they will do all they can to help you.

Larry

You do not need one, you may want one but you don't need one.

First, if you learn what your sight picture should be, how much of the barrel you should see, where the front sight should be in relation to the rear of the barrel, you can be very accurate without a rear sight.

Second, if you do the above, at the distances a smooth bore is accurate you will be fine.

Third, if you ever plan on shooting in a match the rear sights are probably not going to be allowed.

I put one on my fowler, I don't shoot my fowler enough to get proficient with just a front sight, I don't shoot competition. I made the sight out of a piece of angle iron.

rear sight 001.JPG

I want to be on when the adrenalin is pumping in a pressure cooker hunting situation, my rear sight takes care of that. My fowler is primarily a jug choked turkey gun; the sight lets me know exactly where the tight pattern is going to hit.

The neck shot is a finisher from about 25 yards, with a rear sight my fowler is more accurate, he ducked when the pan flashed and I spined him.

smoothbore buck 001.JPG

I've been a shotgunner since the 1950's. No rear sight. I suppose that experience can explain why I have no problem with my fowler. I do use the tang screw for a guide to help line up with the front bead, but I have learned to use my truly historical replica fowler with only the front sight, just as it was originally designed. I do shoot round ball more than shot and have taken deer with it, no problem.
Of course, I acknowledge that a rear sight could help. But my fowler didn't come with one and I'm sticking to the original.

Me, I would not want a fowler without a rear sight. With roundballs, I can't see that the full accuracy potential of the long gun could be realized without a rear sight. Maybe Kibler could add that when you order. If not, I would at least find out if it might be done on your own. Hunting shots are too valuable to screw up for lack of a rear sight. There are those experienced shooter's who say we don't need them, but we are not they. Want our need it, get it. I believe in that to the point of rejecting one seller for another.

Glue you a rear sight on to temporarily try it first. Mainly just to see if it tightens the group for you (don't worry about point of impact yet). If you decide one is for you then before I would file a dovetail, I would solder it to the barrel flat so it can be undone someday.

Bob

Back