• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight location?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator_2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a "drop in" barrel for my TC Seneca and am trying to determine if their is an optimum forward vs. rearward location for the rear sight? I am planning on installing the type of adjustable rear sight which is elevated with a screw which simply pushes the rear sight up by screwing the screw thru the sight and against the top of the barrel. My concern there is that the screw may "self adjust" from recoil. Any suggestions on how to bind the threads on the screw a bit? Know your target. Hank

Well, this may make some laugh, but I put my sight down the barrel where it is clear. Then if in that exact same spot the gun wants to balance when I carry it and my hand gets in the way, I move the rear sight a little closer to the muzzle. As I get older it is headed that direction anyhow! I use clear finger nail polish so that I can use finger nail polish remover to remove it. But, I have no muzzleloaders with adjustable sights. I just spend range time with the gun till it is right. If it can't be screwed with, it can't get screwed up. :imo:

I guess sight rear sight location is up to you, but I think between 10 or 11 inches from rear of bbl is pretty common. You want it as far back as possible and still be able to focus. The younger your eyes, the further back they can be. To keep anything from moving (it probably won't anyway),just put a drop of thin crazy glue or even clear finger nail polish on the side of the elevation screw head when you have it where you want it :imo: :thumbsup:

There's a rule for some types of competition of not less than 6" from back of barrel. That's where all mine are.
Your eye can only focus in one place and that should be on the front sight so focus on the rear is not an issue. one thing you should be aware of though is the farther back the rear sight the larger the notch will appear and you might need a thicker front sight to fit the notch.

I agree, particularily on the adjustable sights Murphy's Law operates all too well on me.I wish I had a can of powder for each time adjustable sights adjusted themselves even though I used all kinds of locktite,varnish and so on.I finally wised up went to fixed sights.

Back