• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear Sight Preference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a blade front sight with a square rear notch and a fair bit of light on both sides. If a gun has a v notch rear sight I want a bead front sight. My younger eyes could handle the bead/v-notch combo better than they can now.

Square notch with a round bottom for the rear. I read once that the rounded bottom has something to do with how your eye focuses better than with a square bottom. However at my age it's all a blur anyways.

Your eye's depth of focus is limited. Your rifle's rear sight will be blurred and serve only to center the front sight. Hence the mantra: Front sight. Press.
The smallest rear sight notch which allows you to see daylight on either side of the front sight blade should be your most accurate. I do not understand why a square vs U notch would make a difference.

I do not like bead front sights on rifles. I think they belong on weapons which are pointed rather than aimed. IE: Shotguns.

Your eye's depth of focus is limited. Your rifle's rear sight will be blurred and serve only to center the front sight. Hence the mantra: Front sight. Press.
The smallest rear sight notch which allows you to see daylight on either side of the front sight blade should be your most accurate. I do not understand why a square vs U notch would make a difference.

I do not like bead front sights on rifles. I think they belong on weapons which are pointed rather than aimed. IE: Shotguns.
I agree with everything you said, but here's the "science" behind the U-notch vs. Square notch rear sight taken from an article about iron sights.

"In theory, a U notch is superior to a square notch because your eyes naturally pick up sharp edges and corners before smooth, rounded, ones. So, a U notch rear sight should naturally direct your eyes to the top of the sight, where they ought to be."

Long time unmentionable pistol shooter here. Give me a square partridge style sighting system any day. (Unless a receiver/peep sight is available for rifle use.)

I have used all sorts of sight configurations from a ball front with U rear, blade front and square rear, etc. and excluding peep sights I will say the iron sights on the model 98 Mauser are the most precise I have ever used. It has a ^ front and a V rear.

Peep by far is my choice but since it's not on the list I would take a square over V a million times in a row. If it has a V I am changing it. I've shot both and a V is not as precise as a square, I need to see light on both sides of the blade through the rear sight and the more vertical space I can see through the better chance I have of getting a well centered blade. For this reason I prefer sights on the tall side to almost ridiculously tall. This is even more important in field conditions and in poor lighting conditions, the more vertical real estate you have on the sides of the blade the better chance you have of seeing at least contrast to get it centered, first light or last light it is crucial for me to be able to shoot to my best ability. Flat top is also required for me, you will register the top of the blade level with the top of the rear far easier using a flat rear and a flat blade than any other combination.

Latest posts

Back