• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA flintlock Hawken, Investarm Hawken, and a TC Renegade. All of these have the adjustable rear sight, on my Pedersoli Frontier it has the tall buck horn style rear sight. I know the adjustable may or may not have advantages but what was the typical style or type on original Hawken rifles.

I tried to edit the first post but it would not allow it. Anyway the rifles I have don't get used very much and I was only looking for what would be cosmetic and more in line with how they would have been made. Thanks again

On originals, I'm guessing fixed sights. Adjustable sights would be quite expensive and people wouldn't want to re-sight every time a new patch/ball combo is used. "Fixin's" were used sparingly. Keep everything the same, shot to shot. Plus, adjustable sights may move when not wanted...... Just a thought.

Since these rifles aren't really representative of Hawken rifles but more of a generic Plains rifle, of which there were many variations, I would suppose there was a wide variety of sights. Most adjustable sights would have been step type or leaf sights. If you want to change the sights, I would look for the style that you like the best.Someone had posted some pics not too long ago of a nice buckhorn type replacement sight. I have found that I don't use the adjustable function on my Traditions sight once I had it sighted in so I don't really see any advantage to it. I get by just as well with set sights. A Buckhorn will give you advantage if you are shooting long distances because the "horns" give you elevation reference. But out to a hundred yards they are not needed.

Latest posts

Back