• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarrel a T/C White Mountain Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of these cool little carbines in .50 caliber. IT's a lovely, light, fast handling & easy to point rifle, but it has stupidly fast rifling.

It's a pretty early model with the 1:20 twist & it won't shoot a roundball worth a spit. It's not too hot with any of the conicals I've tried either, although it seems to do well with sabots ( :barf: )

I have thought about sending it off to Bobby Hoyt & getting it rebored to .54 with a 1:60 twist, but his lead time is now around 6 months & I'd really like to take it hog hunting in Florida this coming September.

Does anyone know of any moderately affordable roundball barrels that would either drop in (Renegade?) or not require too much in the way of fitting? I don't mind a little inletting work & I have a friend that could relocate underlugs/thimbles etc, although I'd rather not pester him if possible.

I know of none that will be the same length but yes I think any "TC" barrel will fit it. I don't have your specific model but all the TC's I have messed with are pretty similar except the Seneca and Cherokee, of course. :idunno:

If you could find a Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter barrel, it would drop right in. These come with a 1:66 rate of twist. Of course they are 32 inches in length - you could shorten it and dove-tail for a new front sight.

Bob

robtattoo said:
I have one of these cool little carbines in .50 caliber. IT's a lovely, light, fast handling & easy to point rifle, but it has stupidly fast rifling.

It's a pretty early model with the 1:20 twist & it won't shoot a roundball worth a spit. It's not too hot with any of the conicals I've tried either, although it seems to do well with sabots ( :barf: )

I have one with a pretty rough bore. If you decide to re-barrel yours I might be interested in the old one. It is a pretty fast twist though. Mine is a 1:38 as measured and seems to shoot the TC Maxi pretty well even with the rough barrel.

Bob
I have thought about sending it off to Bobby Hoyt & getting it rebored to .54 with a 1:60 twist, but his lead time is now around 6 months & I'd really like to take it hog hunting in Florida this coming September.

Does anyone know of any moderately affordable roundball barrels that would either drop in (Renegade?) or not require too much in the way of fitting? I don't mind a little inletting work & I have a friend that could relocate underlugs/thimbles etc, although I'd rather not pester him if possible.

robtattoo said:

Does it take a one inch barrel? If so I could help.

15/16" by all accounts.

I've been searching Gunbroker & various other sites for a 'budget' barrel & I'm coming up empty. I'd really rather not sink the full cost of a new GM, T/C or Lyman barrel into this gun.

I'm seriously considering selling it for what I have in it & looking at alternatives. I have a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken stock, in beautiful walnut knocking around, along with a few locks & triggers I could make fit. I'd still need a barrel, but I would end up with a MUCH nicer gun (I think!)

I will trade you a Hawken 50 cal 15/16. I have never shot the barrel is was on the rifle and I wanted to put a GM barrel on it. I know it is not in pristine condition. Ron

just sent hoyt a 50 cal investarms to be reebored to 55 or 58 smoothbore. siad he have it back in 3 weeks or so.

The under rib on the White Mountian and the Hawken are not the same. The Hawken stock is longer. Penn hunter barrels should fit as is.

Back