• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reccomend a Builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a set of parts I want turned into a gun. I dont think I have the patience or the skill to do this project. I tried a kit once, and I'm not real happy with the results.

Anyway, who would be a good builder to send my parts to? Ive got a 62 barrel, A halfstock blank, mule ear lock, and hawken hardware. So Im not creating anything historically accurate, just a good solid hunting gun.

There a lot's of good builders out there. I've handled guns by Hershel and Frank House. Matt Avance, Steve Zihn, Jim Chambers, Allen Martin, Mike Brooks, Mike Miller, Homer Dangler and many more whose names I can't recall. The question is how much are you willing to spend? For some gunmakers a basic rifle starts at $2000-$2500 others may run $600 - $1000 depending on how many parts you supply.

Most established builders don't want to put together somebody's collection of parts. That's plain speaking; not trying to be negative. The reason is that their work is always advertising for them, good or bad, and if they can't control the design much, it's risky for little reward. And building plain guns is just work.

Your best bet is to find somebody who has just built 2 or 3 guns, is all excited, obviously does good work, and wants more experience. You might look over what some folks have posted here as their builds and contact someone who fits that description.

rich pierce said:
Most established builders don't want to put together somebody's collection of parts. That's plain speaking; not trying to be negative. The reason is that their work is always advertising for them, good or bad, and if they can't control the design much, it's risky for little reward. And building plain guns is just work.

Your best bet is to find somebody who has just built 2 or 3 guns, is all excited, obviously does good work, and wants more experience. You might look over what some folks have posted here as their builds and contact someone who fits that description.

Rich,
you point is well taken. I was simply trying to point out that there are many good builders out there, who can do the job, but as with anything the owner has to determine how much he's willing to spend.

Jud Brennan, who lives in Alaska where our friend is from, if he took the job would probably, more than likely, charge more than say Matt Avance would, and probably so as Jud is considered one of the premier builders in the country. Matt is great in his own right as I have 2 of his rifles. But reputation does make more money in this world, whether its deservered or not :wink:

Still looking for any leads on a builder for me. I got all the parts to make a mule ear locked .62. I just want a plain hunting gun. Id really appreciate any recomendations you guys could make for me. First hand experience with the builder would be great.

There are many good builders in the forums here.
But the one who has built guns for me is Oldarmy, aka Mike Woodbury a forum member as well. He's built 3 pistol's for me and 2 rifles. One was a Late Lancaster and the other was a custom "Last of the Mohicans" rifle with a 50" barrel. Send him a PM and see what he can do for you. I for one am VERY happy with all the guns he's made for me. :thumbsup:

Here is my recommendation for a great builder and one I think you ought to speak to ROY. :thumbsup: "Doc"

Latest posts

Back