• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reccomendations for ammo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewnmoutain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last week i emailed the manufacturer Pedersoli, asking for information regarding my used kentucky rifle, since the rifle didnt come with a users manual or anything with recommendations. Within a day i received the following below:

We obtained the best target results loading 40 grs, of Swiss #2 black powder, round ball .445", made with our bullet mould USA 307-445, lube patch .010" - Muzzle Velocity 1380 Fps.
Our USA importer obtained good hunting results loading 70 grs. of FFg, .440" round ball and .010" patch - Muzzle velocity 1690 Fps. Also with conical bullet 245 grs. 75grs. of FFg - Muzzle velocity 1555 Fps.

Now i have just gone and purchased some FFg powder from a gun show, but the rest I am a bit hesitant on to buying the ball and patch because i dont know what im looking for nor where to go.

ive googled purchasing some ball ammo, and some sites come up, but nothing leaps out at me saying "hey, i match the description from the email." So i am confused like no other.

Id gladly appreciate any input, be it a favorite brand, or a favorite website to help me in my purchases.

Thanks

dewnmoutain said:
Last week i emailed the manufacturer Pedersoli, asking for information regarding my used kentucky rifle, since the rifle didnt come with a users manual or anything with recommendations. Within a day i received the following below:

We obtained the best target results loading 40 grs, of Swiss #2 black powder, round ball .445", made with our bullet mould USA 307-445, lube patch .010" - Muzzle Velocity 1380 Fps.
Our USA importer obtained good hunting results loading 70 grs. of FFg, .440" round ball and .010" patch - Muzzle velocity 1690 Fps. Also with conical bullet 245 grs. 75grs. of FFg - Muzzle velocity 1555 Fps.

Now i have just gone and purchased some FFg powder from a gun show, but the rest I am a bit hesitant on to buying the ball and patch because i dont know what im looking for nor where to go.

ive googled purchasing some ball ammo, and some sites come up, but nothing leaps out at me saying "hey, i match the description from the email." So i am confused like no other.

Id gladly appreciate any input, be it a favorite brand, or a favorite website to help me in my purchases.

Thanks

Check out the following web sites: Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works and Jeddiah Starr Trading. You should be able to find what you need with one of them.

Tom

I use .440 or .445 balls and 3f powder in my 45, I always thought 50 and under use 3f. You will have to try different combinations to see which is best for your rifle. Usually a tight fit works best for me. have fun figuring it out.

Did you buy black powder or a black powder substitute? If your rifle is a flintlock you will have trouble with a substitute powder. Real BP works best. :thumbsup:

If you have a good sized gun shop close to you they just may carry round balls and conicals and some limited muzzleoading supplies. Probably best to start out with .440 round balls and then try .445 later. The .445 may give you better accuracy on targets but will be harder to load. Make sure you buy the actual ball dimension. Some guys have bought boxes of balls that say 44 caliber but are .451,.454 or .457. They are for use in BP revolvers. If not looking carefully, that is an easy mistake to make.

WOOT WOOT :thumbsup: just made my first purchase for my muzzleloader. went through track of the wolf and selected the .440" ball ammo, got some dry and lubed .010" patches, a set of dry .015" patches and some mink oil.

Now i just need to find a local store to purchase some caps and a grain measure. I am hoping to find this tonight after work so when i go out to the field tomorrow i can learn how to fire without a round in it, just to become proficient with it.

You will need .015 or .018 patches with the smaller ball. If you can try to change your order and get all three sices of patches. The .010 will load real easy but it might not group real tight. Latet! Geo. T.

I agree with you needing a thicker patch than .010. I would recommend you try some Ox-Yoke orginals patches with wonder lube in 15 & 18 thousands. The wonder lube should be easy to load and you can play with other lubes later on. Wonder lube has always worked for me and is what I use the most.

Back